WHEEL HORSE BILL

Battery not charging

WHEEL HORSE BILL

Hello fella's I recently restorted a tractor that I got over the winter time.My battery is not charing so i'm thinking when I got the tractor it was not charging then also.does anyone have any idea's as what chould be causing this.

pfrederi

Kohler, Tecumseh or Onan...some info might get you a more usable answer.  Kohler service manual gives good diagnostics.  Stator, regulator, wiring harness, fuses, battery all candidates

Edit;  Just noticed tag on your post is it the 1056???  (Would be clearer if you put in your post narrative). Original motor or replacement?  Starter gen or newer style.  Voltage reading when running???

Edited by pfrederi

gwest_ca

The 1056 should have a Kohler with starter generator.

Good section is this manual on that

Garry

WHEEL HORSE BILL

Ok it has a kohler with start gen.How can I test the regulator to see if it's charging.

pfrederi

Read you battery voltage engine shut off (should be around 12.6 if the battery is good..  Then test running at 3/4 throttle or more the voltage should be higher. 13.8-14+/-

If voltage is not better running then ground the field terminal of the regulator....voltage should jump up.  if it does it is likely a bad regulator.  if voltage does not increase more likely the generator has an issue... but again wire connections and battery condition should be checked first.

Edited by pfrederi

Nathanielperz

Ok it has a kohler with start gen.How can I test the regulator to see if it's charging.

I think this manual will help you out... The section on the entire electrical system starts around pg 25 in PDF...

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/Engines/Kohler_K91-141-161-181-241-301-321_1972-SM-2.pdf

Nate