Free Range

mower deck, drive belt

Free Range

Thanks so much for all the information you guys have provided so far. Got everything back together and did the first mowing of the year yesterday, the new pressure plate on the PTO worked great was able to cut through tall grass, last year the PTO  would slip if I tried anything thick at all. 

However towards the end of the day the belt started to slip when I got into thicker grass? My question is, is there a way to tighten the tension on the belt? I have a C-161, with a rear discharge deck, if that matters.

daveoman1966

Be certain to use a Toro OEM belt.  Aftermakert belts are NOT adequate and will soon fail. 

Was the belt slipping on the PTO or at the Double pulley on the deck, or both places?

Check: 1) make sure e blades are SHARP.  If they are dull or chipped, it'll take more effort to cut.  2) belt tension correct?  the belt should deflect 1/2 to 3/4 inch midway of the PTO and front mule drive.  3) remove the belt cover(s) on the deck and clear out any debris.  4) there should be no dragg or wobble of the 3 idler pulleys.  5) all 3 deck spindles should spin freely by hand, with no wobble. 6) there MAY be something tangled up in the spindles like a rope, wire, rag or something else causing drag. 7) set cutting height a little bit lower...grass is stiffer toward its root and MAY cut easier. 8) maybe you are moving too fast...slow down a little.