meadowfield

Peerless 2300 transmission with turning brakes - whats it used on?

meadowfield

I've acquired a Very industrial looking Peerless 2300 transmission with independant turning brakes on the hubs. They are reasonable sized drum units and the wheels fitted were 23 8x50-12 turf tyres.

post-3321-0-77721000-1396885714_thumb.jp

Anyone got any clues?

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 1

bmsgaffer

Based on my cursory search. JD 110 series in the 70's used them. Maybe turning brakes were an option?

meadowfield

thanks for the reply, It doesn't look like any of the transmission pics I've seen. It's painted red with white wheels - so not JD colors, fairly safe to assume it started those colors too based on the paint finish. Strange pulley and brake arrangement on it too. Input pulley looks like a flat belt - I thought it was the brake, but manual shows that as the input. Brake side has a multi groove pulley?!?

SousaKerry

Bryan miller discusses them briefly at the bottom of this page but does not mention where they are used, the picture is very similar to your unit

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/transaxl.htm

And here is another one from a speedex

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/30813-peerless-2300-series-transaxle/

Edited by SousaKerry

meadowfield

certainly the same case, I found that picture. Still looking for one with outboard brakes and that odd looking pulley.

shorts

TORO used them in the early 70's on their 60" walk behind mower, the trans was set up as a 3 speed unit with the shifter under the handlebars, left side flat pulley was the park brake and the right side pulley is cut for a v belt for forward operation  and the small grooves were for a friction drive hub that was reverse. 12 hp Kohler power sitting above the transaxle the deluxe model was electric start and had steering brakes and a hood.. Attachments were a 60'' 3 blade mower deck that had adjustable guards that could be raised up to brush hog at a 10 or 12'' cut height or lowered down to 3'' for finish work, 60'' snow blade, 42'' single stage snow blower, 48'' rotary broom and a sit down sulky for riding operation.

meadowfield

Awesome!!!!  that makes a bit of sense, the transmission has 5 selections, with what appears to be no reverse. The color matches Toro red and the PO has the original Kohler engine for sale.

I'll do more digging! :D

Any idea of a model number or name I can look up?

Edited by meadowfield

meadowfield

struggling to find anything!!!

tranny is marked 2304A - 1972. I'm drawing a blank on that as well. Just trawled the Toro site for anything made in 1972-73, no clues...

wheeledhorseman

A Toro 'Trojan 3' I suspect Mark but Toro appear to have lost the diagrams! Model is 30244 and there was a 1973 model.

Andy

meadowfield

Awesome work, how did you manage it? I've tried for days to decode the mystery....

wheeledhorseman

Too many hours spent searching the net for answers to similar mysteries I guess - took about 20 mins.

Found one page linking Toro to Trojan 3 in the context of the transmission spec but couldn't access it - one of those pages that robots pick up that are transitory, in this case a search carried out on a parts site.

Looked at some images of Trojan 3 which seemed to match 'Shorts' description so used the Toro site armed with 'Trojan 3'. With Toro brand products discovered you can enter 'Trojan 3' instead of a model number - up come lots of Trojan 3s. Based on the tranny being made in 1972 chances are it was fitted to a 1973 model so gave you one of these i.e. 30244 to check out. There's actually an overlap so it could be from a 30233 but that's being anal.

Andy

shorts

The one I have is a 1972 Trojan 10 that I picked up 15 years ago with a broken connecting rod. Its a real work out to use but I still keep it around as a working machine because of its ability to brush hog and the fact that it will almost walk on water with the dual drive wheels installed.

SousaKerry

Looked at some images of Trojan 3 which seemed to match 'Shorts' description so used the Toro site armed with 'Trojan 3'. With Toro brand products discovered you can enter 'Trojan 3' instead of a model number - up come lots of Trojan 3s. Based on the tranny being made in 1972 chances are it was fitted to a 1973 model so gave you one of these i.e. 30244 to check out. There's actually an overlap so it could be from a 30233 but that's being anal.

Hey guys let's keep this family friendly can't talk about Trojan's and anal in the same post... :naughty:  Or am I the only dirty minded one here :eusa-think::popcorn::angelic-halo:

C-101plowerpower

Hey guys let's keep this family friendly can't talk about Trojan's and anal in the same post... :naughty:  Or am I the only dirty minded one here :eusa-think::popcorn::angelic-halo:

:ROTF:

i think you've got a dirty mind :ychain:

Koen

meadowfield

Not sure if I should be restarting this thread...

however my latest project will be using a 2300 transmission. However not the one from the Trojan, as that has no reverse!

I have acquired another 3 speed with reverse that is bronze/brown paint finish and has a gear lever with about 5 bends to fit around something? Currently no picture as I'm rubbish! But I'll get one. 

The wheel horse style hubs slide on and are bolted with 1" nuts to hold them in place.

does my vague description ring any bells? It's not from a JD before anyone asks :D

Lee1977

Hahn built some garden tractors a bronze color.

Edited by Lee1977

meadowfield

After more digging, I think it's from a jacobsen chief!!!!!

can't find the model, but pretty certain from the poor pictures I've found.