thehorse

Brinley plow question

thehorse

Found a 12in. Brinley plow locally. 2 questions.....

1. How difficult is it to find a slot hitch for this?

2. Would be used in some rocky ground...think the 314-8 will get it done?

Appreciate the advice....I know nothing about them but would help making food plots.

Len

leeave96

Can you post a pic of the plow?

If it's a sleeve/clevis hitch style, you got one of the rarer Brinlwys IMHO.

314-8 will handle it fine.

How about some pics of the tractor too... ;)

Ed Kennell

You'll find any hitch at the BIG SHOW.    Come on down... :popcorn:

shorts

you need to fiind a second plow, the round hoods would pull the optional plow back in the 60's

leeave96

You will have no problem pulling that plow - but it will be a harder pull than a 10 inch.

Plowing sod is always harder than a garden that was harvested the past fall. You will need good ag tires and wheel weights. The manual lift works, but requires a bit of "arm strong" effort. You can rig a helper spring, not unlike you would do with a snow plow - though I haven't done this.

WH nut

I plow with my 704 and it does really well. A little light in the front end at times, but will plow all day long.

thehorse

So....which kind of hitch would I need to use this?

would anyone have any diagrams or installation instructions.......

Getting excited....wheel horse stuff is always fun. I will need to also get a straw hat!

leeave96

In the manuals section, look for 85518 for clevis hitch.

thehorse

Thank you very much.

squonk

Suitcase weights on the front!

"D"- Man

This is the one that came with a used plow I received. I also have included a picture of the plow that is only a 10" Brinly, Mark.

post-3038-0-61649300-1396887552_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-98639600-1396887628_thumb.jp

doc724

I had one of these for many years and used it with my C111-8 and my 314-8.   It works great but watch out for tree roots.  If the plow blade grabs one, the front end will lift very quickly!

SNYFIX

Found a 12in. Brinley plow locally. 2 questions.....

1. How difficult is it to find a slot hitch for this?

2. Would be used in some rocky ground...think the 314-8 will get it done?

Appreciate the advice....I know nothing about them but would help making food plots.

Len

The biggest thing about plowing is setting the plow so it doesn't dig to deep which will stop the tractor or not dig at all causing the plow to ride up out of the ground. Either way you won't "get-er-done" if not set up properly. Properly set up the plow will just 'sing' along !!

thehorse

Ok...now that I got the plow..I know I need to find a clevis hitch. What other parts will I need to unearth..no pun intended..to turn over some ground. I figure a cable and?????!!

bigfkd22

Now the bad news. The clevis hitch is very hard to find. They can be had but usually very pricey. Check ebay or try to find a slot hitch adapter then the slot hitch. Those are cheaper.

squonk

These will help keep the frt end down.

post-2380-0-30859700-1396920443_thumb.jp

squonk

Slot hitch to clevis adapters

post-2380-0-77585700-1396920694_thumb.jp

dandan111

I have the hitch on my 314-8 but I'm out of town so I can't post a picture. The whole kit was around $300 complete. Bought mine new from the dealer.

thehorse

Dandan111...when you make it back to the barn.....pics would be very much appreciated. I've never seen the setup and am clueless.

Don1977

Here is a picture of mine, but I modified it by moving the lift bar to the out side of the clevis hitch to clear the receiver hitch. The clevis hitch will fit with the regular tow hitch installed but I have it removed in this picture.

SAM_0072.jpg

Ed Kennell

Slot hitch with drawbar adapter on C-160.                 post-7208-0-60825800-1396962355.jpg

Clevis hitch on  520H                                                    post-7208-0-99237800-1396962468.jpg

I added hole to flag so hitches will operate                    post-7208-0-62082400-1396962585.jpg

with blowers mounted.  Without                      

blower, cable goes in lower hole in lift arm.

Green bracket is for attaching lift spring assists.

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Ok...now that I got the plow..I know I need to find a clevis hitch. What other parts will I need to unearth..no pun intended..to turn over some ground. I figure a cable and?????!!

I use garage door cable .. It already has a loop swaged in the one end as shown in the above picture.  Cut to required  length with a grinder, then attached with cable clamps to 5-6 links of side chain from old tire chains. A small clevis will fit through the chain links and provide some adjustment to the length  of the pull cable to get the implement at the proper height.

Keep in mind, the cable length must be as short as possible, but must be long enough so the clamps do not interfere with the cable tube preventing full stroke of the lift.     The adjustment chain end could also be attached to the lift arm end instead of to the hitch end as I have mine.  There may be more room for the chain at the front end.

Edited by ekennell

dandan111

Mine is like dons. The chain goes up to a rock shaft that is part of the kit and is needed.