echoffmann

Throttle and choke cable adjusting

echoffmann

I have a 1990 520H and removed the engine to fix the oil drain tube leaking and a few other TLC items. I am putting it back toghet and my marks I made on the throttle and choke cable position are gone (Where the black cable was clamped down and how much cable was sticking out). I did a little searching and didn't see much on how to's for setting them up. Does anyone have a guide or a instrucions on where to start for setting these?

WH nut

Just clamp them down so you achieve a full range of motion on both

Jake217

I just finished dealing with some governor issues on my 520H, so I have been adjusting the throttle cable quite a bit lately.  You have to make sure you adjust the cable to the high speed throttle stop on the Onan.  When I adjust,  I release the clamp, move the throttle lever to full throttle and then pull against the governor spring lever ( the one with the 3 or 4 holes) until it hits the high speed throttle stop and then clamp it down.  Be careful with that clamp screw; I tightened mine so hard, it stripped and wouldn't hold at 3600 RPM.  I had to re-tap the clamp and screw hole.  Now its great.  You can adjust the high speed stop with a pair of needle nose.  

If you have idle speed issues once the throttle cable is set - check (BOTH) idle speed adjustments on that Onan.   There is one on the carb itself and the other is in the governor spring area (can't remember exactly where - I'm 800 miles from the tractor right now).  I just adjust the the screw near the governor way out and set the idle with the idle adjust that is on the carb itself.

For the choke is a lot simpler - set choke cable all the way up, close the choke on the carb, and clamp down.  Should be good to go.

Hope this helps