Stigian

1968 Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger rust repairs

wheeledhorseman

Gotta be pleased with that hood Ian, I would be! :thumbs:

Andy

Stigian

Looking good Ian been watching your three point linkage on you tube I'm going to copy your idea if you don't mind ! Cheers James

Thanks James, your more than welcome to copy my 3 point idea.. Just don't forget the photos :D

Gotta be pleased with that hood Ian, I would be! :thumbs:

Andy

Thanks Andy, yes I am pleased with how the hood is turning out... I found a few more small holes in it today, more patches coming up..... But not today..

Today I've been tackling some thicker metal, no not the seat pan but the fender pan :D

Here it is as arrived!

LR3_zps25c91e8b.jpg

A bit of straightening soon made the back a lot less flat and a lot more like the shape it should be.

LR47_zpsa2020ac1.jpg

A dig in the pile of metal off cuts unearthed these two bits that were left over from making the 6x6 fenders..

LR50_zps01243a56.jpg

Hhmm, this looks like it should work. Ok the line is not quite original but unless your a serious spotter with a tape measure no one will notice the difference :)

LR51_zpsdd24a5d9.jpg

To fill the gap between the two "er... bits where the lines get lower", a dig under the bench found this off cut...   Don't worry Mark, your corners are still safely stashed away :)

LR49_zpsb90c1204.jpg

Quite a while later...

LR52_zps8eec190b.jpg

The rusted away lines are back :D

LR48_zpsdcce0cf2.jpg

While I was under the bench I also found this long forgotten 300 series side cover.

LR53_zps4ec8af2f.jpg

Trimmed down a bit.

LR54_zpsfaffc8bd.jpg

See these rusty holes?

LR55_zps2bcd9c0a.jpg

Gone!! Almost.. The patch just needs a little tweak then it's ready to be welded in..

LR56_zps17db2a96.jpg

If all goes well I might even get the fender pan finished tomorrow!!

HorseFixer

Stig yer the Stig of all Stig's and being your doing such a great job, I think its time for me to Pour a Morgan and fully enjoy yer work! :thumbs:

~Duke  :wh:

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

You may know this already, get some copper bar stock  and clamp it under your weld joint. This will stop the melt threw. It takes the heat away faster. Very good repair......Wayne

• Like 1

"D"- Man

Impressive!  The only difference between what you're doing, and thee impossible, is, thee impossible is just a little bit harder.  Mark.

• Like 1

Stigian

Stig yer the Stig of all Stig's and being your doing such a great job, I think its time for me to Pour a Morgan and fully enjoy yer work! :thumbs:

Thanks Duke, but make mine a Lambs Navy :D

You may know this already, get some copper bar stock  and clamp it under your weld joint. This will stop the melt threw. It takes the heat away faster. Very good repair......Wayne

Thanks Wayne, I do use that trick, but I use a slab of brass instead... Some say that weld will stick to brass, I've never had a problem with it :D

Impressive!  The only difference between what you're doing, and thee impossible, is, thee impossible is just a little bit harder.  Mark.

I like that :D  Thanks Mark, that's a great compliment.

Well, the fender pan didn't quite get finished as I said above.. It's not finished now but very close smile.png

To hold the above big plate in place for welding and to stop it dropping through the hole, I welded a few tabs on... Like so.

LR58_zpsae505485.jpg

I forgot to take any photo's of that plate being welded on, but on the same day I discovered I had another rust problem!!    I was wondering why my tobacco was drying out so fast biggrin.png

LR59_zpscd302198.jpg

Anyway, now for something pressing.. Making the missing indent bit that is used to bolt the fender pan down..

LR60_zpsd9e6ab46.jpg

See what I mean by pressing biggrin.png

LR61_zpsb3aff23b.jpg

I must of made about 8 of these, trying different thicknesses of metal, different strengths, different object to press them into, and finally different ways to cut the steel before pressing...

Can you spot which one is the old indent bolt hole mount thingy? biggrin.png

LR62_zpsae681796.jpg

The trick to making your repairs look better than they are on camera is to give the metal a quick buzz over with a DA sander first  biggrin.png

LR63_zpsec22ecc7.jpg

A close up of the indent hole mount thingy.

LR64_zps00c24511.jpg

The underside still needs a bit of a tidy up, but it's not looking too bad.

LR65_zpsb8de2375.jpg

• Like 2

diggerjames

Not looking to bad at all mate keep it up I'm just starting on the tin work my self on B-80. It's not as bad as that tho Ian

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Posted Today, 01:00 PM

LAMBSNAVY.jpg

Stig I didn't know what Lambs Navy was So I googled it.  :jaw:  And posted their add above  Gee........ I guess I see what you

mean... :wicked:  I Guess I will be switching brands of Rum!  :notworthy:    Besides I'm a Navy man myself anyways!  :handgestures-thumbup:

Edited by HorseFixer

Stigian

Not looking to bad at all mate keep it up I'm just starting on the tin work my self on B-80. It's not as bad as that tho Ian

Thanks James, good luck with your B-80's tins.

Posted Today, 01:00 PM

LAMBSNAVY.jpg

Stig I didn't know what Lambs Navy was So I googled it.  :jaw:  And posted their add above  Gee........ I guess I see what you

mean... :wicked:  I Guess I will be switching brands of Rum!  :notworthy:    Besides I'm a Navy man myself anyways!  :handgestures-thumbup:

I think your quite like Navy rum Duke, it is nice stuff

A small update for you chaps..

The fender pan is just about done, just a little tidying around the new mounting hole thingy to do.

LR75_zps7326c5b9.jpg

The hood has had an extra repair patch where I found a few more rust holes..

LR73_zps966f8efb.jpg

I was going to patch up 3 rust holes on the top of the hood, but I was able to get away with filling the holes with weld,,  Kinda blend in don't they smile.png

LR71_zps3658e2d2.jpg

A bit closer with the flash turned off you can see they still need a little grinding down.

LR72_zps36520199.jpg

Work on the seat pan has been started..  A cardboard template.

LR66_zpsd79e1b51.jpg

And some galvanized steel to make the repairs from... A big thank you to Pete for grabbing this and other bit's of steel before they went into a skip  thumbup.gif

LR67_zpsa8ea4932.jpg

The first attempt didn't go to well and the angles were way off!!

LR68_zpsd1cb31b6.jpg

Like any good engineer I blamed the cardboard template, and made another template from masking tape biggrin.png

LR69_zps0cfbfeb0.jpg

This time the repair patch fit's a lot better, it just needs a little trim and shaping to get it spot on..

LR70_zps1148a6ea.jpg

The seat pan is not quite finished yet, but for now I will leave these couple of photos here biggrin.png

LR76_zpsb0003807.jpg

LR77_zps3fa801be.jpg

• Like 1

Digger 66

I quite like the look, if it were mine I'd just oil it once in a while to stop the rust getting any worse :D

LR43_zpse3a568bc.jpg

X - 2 ! 

Edited by Digger 66

19richie66

Looks great Ian.I have the pitting problem with the hood on my tractor. High build primer? I'll keep watching.Thanks for the pics and the write up,Richie

AMC RULES

When will the tobacco tin repair thread start.  :ychain: 

C-101plowerpower

atleast we now know where the idea for the clock pictures came from, he was smoking rust flakes :ychain:

Koen

• Like 2

AMC RULES

...or something he needed to dry out.   :eusa-think: 

Stigian

Looks great Ian.I have the pitting problem with the hood on my tractor. High build primer? I'll keep watching.Thanks for the pics and the write up,Richie

Thanks Richie. Paint is not my area of expertize, you would be better asking some of the other chaps about that.. I'm not painting these panels only repairing the rust and holes.

A bit late for that Craig.. It's amazing what a bit of filler can hide :D       Ok, it might not be the same tin base :)   I filled the base of this one years ago, the idea being to do some carving... after 8 years not carving has happened :D

LR80_zpsed8460ff.jpg

atleast we now know where the idea for the clock pictures came from, he was smoking rust flakes :ychain:

Koen

Ahhh.. That's why my roll up had a slight metallic taste :D

...or something he needed to dry out.   :eusa-think: 

Drying the banana skins is the easy part.. I'm struggling with getting the papers around them :D

A little update for you chaps..

The big patches have been fully welded up.

LR81_zps8971cdf3.jpg

And a small hole at the front got the same treatment, I just need to trim it to size

LR82_zps446dbe10.jpg

I also found another small hole on the right side of the seat base..

LR83_zpsc9694eac.jpg

Which turned into a bigger hole. biggrin.png

LR85_zps9348d8df.jpg

For some reason I forgot to take any photo's of that patch being welded on, so here's one of the big patches marked out for trimming to size.

LR84_zpsa8cb167b.jpg

And that chaps is the seat pan just about done.. as ever there is a little grinding of welds inside to be done, but that's all.

LR86_zpsdb9cf3a4.jpg

LR87_zps18958112.jpg

Here's the first part of the repair videos.. Enjoy :handgestures-thumbup:

Olratlr

Ell of a job you are doing Thanks for sharing.