Irish Rover

Looking at a 702

Irish Rover

I am planning to go look at a 702 for sale in my area. As I'm new to the round hoods, I thought I would post a few pictures an see what you all thought of it. He is asking $600. And claims it needs a new fuel pump. Is this the correct engine?

post-12499-139644239523_thumb.jpgpost-12499-139644240451_thumb.jpgpost-12499-139644241197_thumb.jpgpost-12499-139644241905_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KATO

Motor should be a Kohler K161S-28622E.... Hard to tell from those pics

Nice little tractor ...especially that custom exhaust pipe :handgestures-thumbupright:

HorseFixer

And as Kato said the correct engine is a Kohler K161S-28622E whichis electric start and has a delco Starter Gen which tractor is missing the battery and other groceries. :eusa-think:  For that Kinda money and for what's missing I think I would pass. :dunno:

~Duke  :wh:

Callen

The frame and front axle isn't a 702 or from any '62 model.

speedyleedy

Could it be a 633 & not a 702 :eusa-think:

JC 1965

I think I would try to bargain on the price.    :dunno:

Irish Rover

Thanks for all info. Is there any documents out there that would help me look up the true model by the tractor serial number? I think he has had quite a few tire kickers with no real offers. I might be able to talk him down some. It also comes with a deck. No pics. though. He also has a plow for it for an additional cost. Might be another bargaining tool.

Irish Rover

I was once told that a good negotiation was when both parties are equally unhappy. Anything on either side of that is either robbery or rape. Based on point of view.

WH nut

Im thinking he is way out of line, that's why he is only getting kickers

Irish Rover

That's my hunch too.

WH nut

Id offer 300 tops

Irish Rover

I am doing a little research on the 633 theory. I'm thinking Speedy May be on to something. Thoughts?

• Like 1

rydogg

Steering wheel is 702, gas tank is 1962, front axle is 1963 or newer, clutch/brake pedal is 1963 or newer, engine is not for a 702, seat is nice but incorrect it should be square, missing left side cover near brake band.....I would go $300 tops.  Tractor is more 633 than 702 the numbers for a 633 kohler is K141T-29102A but there may be some other spec numbers since the early 633 had a different carb and ignition setup.

Edited by rydogg

Irish Rover

Awesome. Thank you all for the info. I agree with the prices you guys are posting. I'll see if he is willing to bite. I'm. Looking to buy it for my son. He won't care if it is a bit of a mutt. My understanding is that the 633 was built with parts on hand hence some different pedals an such from one tractor to another. The engine looks correct for the 633 and not the 702. It's amazing how much you can learn quickly on this forum site with the help of you guys. I'm very happy to be on board with all of you.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Obviously was incorrectly pieced together.

ri702bill

I agree with Rydogg - and it has the 1962 style 2 position lift stop quadrant, along with the bent straps that go from the hoodstand to the frame at the lower steering support. A few things could tank the deal - the hood has been cut to clear a previous exhaust modification on the right hand side, and you mentioned a plow. Check the frame weldment at the 4 holes where the axle attaches for tearout or repair, and also check the lower cast iron steering support bracket to see that it is not broken. Years of plowing put a lot of stress , twist & vibration into those parts - my 854 had both - the frame is repairable, the bracket is best replaced. You also mentioned a deck, but I do not see the PTO mechanism that pivots on the right side foot rest rod - it may not fit or work properly with that exhaust setup.

Bill

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Irish, Imho, the price is out of line. To high, so I am with the fellas on the thread.

2 can play that game, shoot him a low ball number. Keep us posted.

Glenn

Irish Rover

It's sounding a bit more like a running parts tractor. $200.00 sounds like where I would open

Tankman

I would offer perhaps $200. Walk if the offer isn't accepted.

Too much, too little.

Kelly

If it runs good I see a $400 machine if everything is in good shape, yes it is a pieced together machine, BUT a good running engine $150 if the hood is nice $75-100, gas tank $40 seat if nice $40 belt guards $30 each, steering wheel if nice $40 list goes on.

I see a bunch of stuff from a few years, steering wheel, and belt guard on it with no indent looks to be 701, dash tower, hood (no lip on bottom edge) and fuel tank are 62 parts, frame looks to be a 64 it has a bolt on batt tray, seat looks like a 60 suburban. 

Ken B

I'm with Kelly. Sure there are a few things not original to the tractor but I think its pretty darn clean and all of the tin work looks nice and straight. 600 is obviously too high of a price but if it were mine and someone came to look at it and offered me 200 they would be going home empty handed.  Does it need to be 100% original to do what you want it for? If that engine runs decent I'd give 150 bucks for just the engine in a heart beat. Be careful you don't insult the guy by telling him he has a running parts machine...

• Like 2

formariz

In this area, in that condition,running with deck, plow and extra belt guard for $400.00 it would already be next to the others here. Be carefull though, try to have at least six months between tractors or you will be just like many of us.

• Like 1

Uncle Buck

I'm with Kelly. Sure there are a few things not original to the tractor but I think its pretty darn clean and all of the tin work looks nice and straight. 600 is obviously too high of a price but if it were mine and someone came to look at it and offered me 200 they would be going home empty handed.  Does it need to be 100% original to do what you want it for? If that engine runs decent I'd give 150 bucks for just the engine in a heart beat. Be careful you don't insult the guy by telling him he has a running parts machine...

This is what I see as well, very well put too! To me $400 tops

Irish Rover

Thanks guys. I don't want to insult anyone. But I don't want get saddled with a basket case either. I should not jump to pricing conclusions before I see the tractor up close. It currently is not running due to a supposed fuel pump issue. He also indicated that it may smoke a bit.