Racinbob

Suburban 400 Find in Florida

Racinbob

No Craig. Jake put me on to Joe who has the reproductions. He didn't have any when I first contacted him but when he got more in he let me know. I didn't post his contact information figuring that would be best done in a PM but I did just email him asking if he wanted me to go ahead and post it. He does list them on Ebay now and then but he passes on the fee savings if you go direct. 

Molon_Labe

Not much to add right now. Other things have kept me too busy. I did get the tool box and seat spring installed as well as the front end parts painted. I'll post pics when I get a little more done. This came in the mail today. Purchased direct rather than Ebay which saved a little. He has both styles for Suburbans as well as RJ's. Also RJ 25/35 pulleys and reverse disks. I'm real happy with the guard. I don't know if I'll have to do any mods to it so I'll wait to paint it until I get to that point.

Bob I don't know where you picked up the belt guard but I too need one as some PO cut the front of the guard off mine just behind the drive pulley. Very nice. :text-+1:

Racinbob

Yes, I think it's very nice. I believe the 61's had the raised rib in a cross pattern and the one I got is for a 60. He does both as well as the other items i mentioned. Joe has asked that I don't post his contact information but privately is fine. PM incoming.

Molon_Labe

Yes, I think it's very nice. I believe the 61's had the raised rib in a cross pattern and the one I got is for a 60. He does both as well as the other items i mentioned. Joe has asked that I don't post his contact information but privately is fine. PM incoming.

Thanks Bro

Molon_Labe

Bob here is a pic of my belt guard along with a couple of the clutch finger,

post-13276-0-01964400-1411586590_thumb.j

post-13276-0-28408300-1411586611_thumb.j

post-13276-0-96883700-1411586634_thumb.j

Racinbob

Thanks M. I was thinking along that line. A bunch of the models used that to stop the belts. Are you sure that's original? I thought Suburbans used a round rod. Not that it matters because I think your style setup will do a better job.

Edited by Racinbob

Molon_Labe

Bob I can't tell what 's original and what isn't after who knows how many PO's, but it does work.

Racinbob

I hear that. If it's not original it's probably a better design and certainly something that's easy to make.

• Like 1

Racinbob

A fairly major project on this house and one at a rental has limited me to a few minutes here and there on my Suburban. I was going to wait until the fenders were done to take more pictures but a paint issue set me back and I wanted to post again. After three attempts to save the fenders I’m now going to strip them down again and start over. I did get the front end put together and I’m happy with it. It works great and there’s no play. I was anxious to see the repop belt guard in place. One of the head bolts on a Tecky motor I tore apart worked as a standoff for it after some minor modification. I don’t think the tractors immune system will reject it. The seat is painted with Krylon Ivory and I think like the color. It’s a tad darker than the picture looks. I’m not sure if the rear hitch lift cable is the proper length. I’m wondering if it will run under the engine properly. The wheels were covered with tranny oil and I thought all they would take is some sanding and a repaint but after cleaning them up the current paint job is as bad as the rest of the tractor was so it will be a complete strip.  They have tubes but this one went flat. I’ll remove the tires to redo the wheels and install new tubes.

post-8408-0-43377800-1415986211_thumb.jp

post-8408-0-98397600-1415986228_thumb.jp

post-8408-0-09820300-1415986254_thumb.jp

post-8408-0-65219700-1415986275_thumb.jp

post-8408-0-23141700-1415986297_thumb.jp

• Like 5

19richie66

Looking sweet Bob. I know all about the house stuff getting in the way.

Geno

Looking really nice Bob!  :text-woo:

Molon_Labe

Great job Bob, I'm taking notes. My 400 project will start in the next few days.

Racinbob

Thanks guys. I know it's been slow going but I'm having a blast. Even having to start over on the fenders didn't really bother me. M, I don't know if I'm the one to be taking notes from but I sure will be looking forward to seeing your rebuild in progress. Obviously mine isn't a restore to factory original but that's just one of the fun things. Everybody can do it their way. :)

Racinbob

I pretty much quit working on it this summer. It's just too hot and humid. Last winter I had far too many other projects going to spend much time on the 400. Besides working out there I was having gloss paint dry dull. The wheels gave me fits. All I can think of is the heat and humidity was messing with the paint. We had a couple better days and I was finally able to finish them and get her back on all fours. The hood shouldn't take a whole lot more body work. The motor runs fine but the PO put a tapered crankshaft in it and welded the pulley. I'll be grinding that off and installing the right crankshaft. I'll go ahead and rebuild the carb while I have it apart and I'll also tap the exhaust port. This WILL get finished this winter and then it's on to a 500 Special.

Suburban left 092815.JPG

Suburban right 092815.JPG

K91 weld 092815.JPG

• Like 4

19richie66

Looks fantastic Bob! I agree it is too hot out. I have a hard time working on mine and having to change clothes 3 times a day because of sweating. I am over it. Keep plugging away my friend......

• Like 1

WHX??

Looks really nice Bob, its nice to see other guys don't get at their projects any faster than I do! For some reason I was under the impression you had your 400 all done already.

I'm afraid I won't be able to follow your posts as I don't know if I will be able to keep my 400 project original if I keep having to look at your shiney red and stainless!!:bow-yellow: I may have take up another member's offer of trading mine for one that I can paint......:no:

• Like 1

Racinbob

Richie, I get jealous hearing the folks up north talking about cool weather. Maybe just one more summer down here. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: Make sure you let me know when you're going to the Flywheelers show.

Jim, original is cool. :handgestures-thumbupright:  If mine would have been original when I got it I probably would have left it that way.
Apparently I have a fetish for stainless hardware. I always buy more than I need so my inventory keeps building. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

WHX??

Jim, original is cool. :handgestures-thumbupright:  If mine would have been original when I got it I probably would have left it that way.
Apparently I have a fetish for stainless hardware. I always buy more than I need so my inventory keeps building. :rolleyes:

Hear ya there Bob....... sometimes I think I should open my own stainless & (chrome from working on HD's) hardware store! :D

• Like 1

Tom Bartlett

I just found this posting and love the detailed restoration.  On my restoration (not nearly as nice as this one) I used a trick that I learned from an old restorer of license plates with the raised letters. I followed his advice to paint the area around the raised letters on the hood with multiple coats of white paint (just in the general area of the raised letters) and then let it dry in the sun for several days until the white paint is really, really dry.  Then when painting the hood red, moisten a smooth cloth with paint thinner and very gently wipe the tops of the letters to remove the red paint while it is still "fresh".  The effect is very close to the original.  I realized that I do not have a close-up of my letters, but I will attach the best view I have. Anyway, a really good looking horse.  Tom Bartlett

Restored Wheel Horse Name on Hood.JPG

• Like 3

Racinbob

Nifty trick Tom. Don't short yourself on your restoration. It looks great :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

JPWH

I just read this post from the beginning. Wow!! That is looking Sweet. Your hard work has really paid off.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I got a bit more involved playing with a couple of tractors that were given to me and not staying with this one. I got the crankshaft replaced in the K91 and the tins painted. As I've said many times, I'm not a body man and I really struggle with it. I wanted to put one more coat on the hood but the weather wasn't cooperating until yesterday. Sunny, 70's, low humidity and light winds. 56bf2ee799e46_SubHood0212161.thumb.JPG.256bf2ef038949_SubHood0212162.thumb.JPG.4

Just as I was rushing to get it in the screen room after spraying it one little green bug landed on it. :no:It's barely stuck by his feet and I think I'll be able to buff it out. You can see him in the pictures if you know where he is. Zoom in and he'll say 'Hi'.

The hood straps are way thicker than normal so I extended the gas tank filler neck. I enlarged the hood hole and will put in a gasket like what the Lawn Rangers used.....I think. Some drying time, paint the letters, decals, finish the motor and I'll be set for a picture to send Terry for the big show banner.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 5

Molon_Labe

Outstanding Bob. Funny how the bugs and dust show up just as you're putting on the last coat of paint. Looking good.

• Like 1

19richie66

Dang Bob, that is beautiful! It turned out really good. You should be very proud of that one!

• Like 3