Stigian

A drive, a walk, and a clock

Stigian

Having finally got the GT's 3 point finished yesterday, I wanted a relaxed but fun day today before I start on some serious rust repairs tomorrow..

So Pete and I decided to go for a little drive on the GT to have a look for good places that would be a challenge for my 6x6 and Nigel's Noddy Holder..

The looking didn't last too long as it was such a nice restful place down in the valley, lot's of wild flowers, the sounds of birds chattering and a babbling stream.. I love it down there :handgestures-thumbup:

Sorry about the quality of these first four photo's, my video camera is much better at video than stills..

S1110003_zps2060379f.jpg

S1110008_zpsa79240f3.jpg

S1110010_zpsceea273c.jpg

It's a shame that the orchids around here grow blurred!

S1110012_zpsd5e380d3.jpg

And then suddenly an idea I have had floating around for a long time popped into my head!!

So back to base for a quick bit of lunch, and then back on the GT for another drive in the opposite direction this time armed with a good camera :D

So welcome to the first 3 of my "Clocks out of context" series.. :D

This ones called "A crack in time"..

DSCF6071_zps5c7dc8b4.jpg

"Time for a hanging"

DSCF6073_zpsf0299a6f.jpg

The next two are simply called "Don't jump" 1 and 2 :D

DSCF6092_zps1c98b078.jpg

DSCF6095_zpse932ceed.jpg

As an added bonus here's "Don't jump with colour" :)     I love the colours on the bricks, lump of rock and the tree root.

DSCF6085_zps94b32835.jpg

A beautiful spot with the sun shining on the stream.

DSCF6083_zps3d17698a.jpg

Have a couple of the bridge brickwork.. My area is well known for clay pits and brick making, so I guess there bricks are slowly returning back to nature..

DSCF6093_zpsbd7bede8.jpg

DSCF6070_zps551acff7.jpg

I'm not sure Pete would of driven over the bridge had known of the big crack in it at the time :D

DSCF6114_zps7697151c.jpg

And that's been my relaxed fun day.... Fun eh :D

• Like 8

squonk

Love the clocks! I do something similar with stuffed beanie baby monkees. My wife loves the little critters we got like 18 of them now. Whenever I find another one, I'll stick it somewhere she frequents and it will be staring at her for days until she finally sees it. It will be a foot away and she looks right past it while I try to hold the laughter back.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Excellent road trip and pictures Ian.  Some of it looks like it could be right out of a Harry Potter movie.  I would say you are a good month ahead of me on Spring..  :)

• Like 1

dcrage

Is the stream big enough to support fish??

I love fishing in the small streams around my home

AMC RULES

That brick work really is amazing. 

:text-coolphotos:  

• Like 1

Sparky

Hmmm....whats in yer coffee cup mate :ychain:  !

Looks like a better way to spend the day than stuck in an office like I was!

Mike...........

• Like 1

meadowfield

Mad Ian, but looks like fun. What the flip made you think of taking a clock with you? The speed of most horses you should have taken a calendar :D

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 3

boovuc

I really wonder if your breathing pure air sometimes.  :happy-jumpeveryone:

Nice countryside!

• Like 1

neil

Great artistic pics Ian , what  type of coffee  are you smoking this week ?   :scratchead: .  seriously  though , i like those pics especially the B&W tunnel pics

What is the relevance of the clock ? 

Photography is a wonderful hobby .

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

awesome pictures ian :handgestures-thumbupright:  but maybe you should redirect the exhaust on the horse's :ychain:

Koen

• Like 1

Stigian

Love the clocks! I do something similar with stuffed beanie baby monkees. My wife loves the little critters we got like 18 of them now. Whenever I find another one, I'll stick it somewhere she frequents and it will be staring at her for days until she finally sees it. It will be a foot away and she looks right past it while I try to hold the laughter back.

Thanks Mike.. Your wife is quite on the ball if it only takes here days to notice a new monkey, it would take my wife months :D

Excellent road trip and pictures Ian.  Some of it looks like it could be right out of a Harry Potter movie.  I would say you are a good month ahead of me on Spring.. 

Thanks Steve, it's a shame the 1st few photo's were naff, I didn't take the good camera as I didn't think spring would be so far advanced!!    The bluebells are early this year!

Is the stream big enough to support fish??

I love fishing in the small streams around my home

Hi Dave, I've never seen fish in that stream, but I do know where the badgers go for a drink now. There is a set not far away.

That brick work really is amazing. 

:text-coolphotos:  

It is indeed Craig. No idea how long it has been there, quite a long time looking at the state of it.. It would be nice to get down there and grab some photo's of the bridge in the mist as the sun starts burning through.

Hmmm....whats in yer coffee cup mate :ychain:  !

Looks like a better way to spend the day than stuck in an office like I was!

Mike...........

Mad Ian, but looks like fun. What the flip made you think of taking a clock with you? The speed of most horses you should have taken a calendar :D

I really wonder if your breathing pure air sometimes.  :happy-jumpeveryone:

Nice countryside!

Great artistic pics Ian , what  type of coffee  are you smoking this week ?   :scratchead: .  seriously  though , i like those pics especially the B&W tunnel pics

What is the relevance of the clock ? 

Photography is a wonderful hobby .

awesome pictures ian   but maybe you should redirect the exhaust on the horse's :ychain:

Koen

Cheers Guy's :D

You can sort of blame the clock thing on Tony Hawks....   I was reading one of his books "around Ireland with a fridge", and at some point when the fridge is sitting on a bar stool in a pub someone says "It's sure nice to see it out of context"..  Which made me laugh as I could see where he was coming from..

Back in the shack I was having a bit of a tidy up when I found the clock.. Looking for somewhere to put it I thought the shack is not the normal place to find one of these free standing clocks and thus "A clock out of context" sprung to mind...

At some point much later when I was able to walk any distance I had found the bridge while out for a wander and all of a sudden I could see the clock about to jump off it..

The rest as they say is mad history :D

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Well, speaking of mad history...

any indication of what year the construction of the brick tunnel was completed Ian?

Doesn't appear to be old enough to be a Roman ruin.

Wonder if there is any local history that tells who the original builders were? 

Edited by AMC RULES

Stigian

No idea on the year Craig, just a very long time ago..

There is a strange brick structure in the wood which I keep meaning to get a photo of, I've no idea of what it once was..  

There are a lot of bricks all over the place, partly buried now.. all the bricks are hand made as they don't have frogs!!

I need to ask my landlord about it next time I see him...   

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Please do Ian...our inquiring :wh: minds want to know.  :) 

Stigian

I don't often speak to or see my landlord, maybe once a year, so it might be a while until I get any info from him..

So here's a few photo's from yesterday..

Here's one of the many stray bricks, no frogs, very strong and very heavy for a brick!

DSCF6128_zps9cb794be.jpg

Here's the strange brick structure in the woods, a bit hard to see as it's overgrown and the trees are doing there best to demolish the brickwork.. It's about 20ft in length..

DSCF6130_zps6861aa2f.jpg

It's U shaped with a curved and rendered top course of bricks.

DSCF6131_zpsa090588f.jpg

A closer up of some of exposed brickwork which had been coated in render of some sort. I have no idea what it once was or what it was used for, there in no obvious way of water getting in and out through pipes/channels.

DSCF6133_zpsaa2716b9.jpg

10 seconds walk away is the first clay pit.

DSCF6135_zps7071cc35.jpg

Which drops down into another..  And another, and another until eventually the final pit dig is level with the stream.

DSCF6164_zps94475b9b.jpg

Oh, here's the latest in the "Clocks out of context" series.....   I call this one "Peek a Blue" :D

DSCF6198_zps8f491d30.jpg

• Like 3

SousaKerry

gee where is Dr. Who and the Tartis when you need them??

HorseFixer

Is That STONE HENGE!  :ychain:  :eusa-whistle:   

~Duke  :wh:

Buzz

Is That STONE HENGE!  :ychain:  :eusa-whistle:   

~Duke  :wh:

It looks more like a STONED HEDGE