19richie66

Project: Rough Draft

19richie66

I normally jinx myself by starting build threads because I never finish anything.But I thought I would try it again and see what happens.This is a rough 1056 my dad had that was one of his parts tractors.I figured I would turn it into a two seater similar to Wallfish's that he built.My wife wants something we can ride together on at the shows down here.So,here is were I am as of today.I flipped the frame over to lower it and probably will be lengthening the front of the frame.Anyone make drop spindles?I know I have a lot of working out the details with the steering but I have some ideas in the works.I plan on using one of my rusted plow blades for the rear fenders but also using a golf cart style seat and frame work over the motor with a small bed on back..It will be a little bit longer but should work.Any ideas would be appreciated as I get a little further into it.Sorry for the cell pics as they are all I have at the moment.

post-9187-0-30794000-1396314683.jpgpost-9187-0-68096200-1396314705.jpgpost-9187-0-79504500-1396314718.jpgpost-9187-0-13609000-1396314738.jpgpost-9187-0-28981700-1396314746.jpg

Edited by T-Mo
Revised title
  • Like 4

AMC RULES

I like the flipped frame idea, to drop it down into the weeds.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

312Hydro

Looks like a winner! What size tires an rims on the back? They remind me of a top fuel dragster.

• Like 1

19richie66

24/12x12 tires on 10" wide wheels.

• Like 1

diggerjames

Nice idea we want more pics !

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

richie, that project reminds me of the rodder days. This will be neat to follow.

Good luck.

Glenn

HorseFixer

That thing looks :wicked:  Keep up the good work.

~Duke :wh:

JC 1965

WOW !!  Please keep the pics coming.    :hide:

Aussie

I know what you mean by jinxing yourself by starting build threads, I have two on here that I need to revive.

I am hoping you will be able to progress this one as I am watching with interest, hope to try something similar one day.

KC9KAS

I too thought it looked like a dragster....need bicycle type front wheels!

Yeah, :wicked: !

19richie66

Well I got the engine mounted but had to stretch the frame almost a foot.I have a drop axle coming from Kelly and hope to get it installed so I can dial in my front frame height.i have some different wheels I hope to be getting soon that have a different offset to widen it up just a lil bit in the rear.I need 3 inches on each side to make the outside of the tires even with the rear fender setup I am using.Trying to make it wide enough that me and momma can ride together comfortably,about 40".

post-9187-0-15838300-1397953364.jpg

I NEED SOME IDEAS ON HOW TO DRESS OFF THIS CRANK. ANYONE?

It has a 1-7/16" diameter shaft.I was thinking about trying to make a "PTO clutch" looking bell but without pulley grooves.Kinda like an airplane prop spinner.

Coadster32

I'm liking this as well!! :handgestures-thumbupright:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

19richie66

Got the steering shaft replaced today.I cut the front steering bracket and the fan gear off of the original shaft as it was worn on one end and replaced it with a brand new 3/4" shaft.I cut the heads off of two 5/16" bolts and welded them to the inner frame rail and bolted the bearing cage to it.I have two small sprockets and chain coming for the steering ,aka "Wallfish's" chain drive set-up.Pretty much genious on his part   :thumbs: .Should work just fine.

post-9187-0-84073800-1398127315.jpgpost-9187-0-37845200-1398127321.jpg

• Like 1

rwilson

I'm liking it. Bad A$$

19richie66

Thanks! I have a long way to go.But......Front axle is tacked in,spindles made but just need a little cleaning and rounding off of the corners.Got to get some steering rod ends so I can make the tie rods and get the arms welded to the spindles.Also need some bushings so the wheels dont wobble.Should have a little rake to it.It's still sitting on a stand to keep it from rolling off my table,as it is too short now that the frame is longer.

post-9187-0-84446400-1398732585.jpgpost-9187-0-94394500-1398732600.jpg

• Like 2

Stigian

What a great build, she's going to look fantastic when finished :handgestures-thumbup:

I can't help but think you should maybe fit that engine that's sitting on the floor in the 1st photo above :D

19richie66

Like this ? Already in the works but need to finish this one and my wife's commando 8 first. Thanks for the compliments also.

post-9187-0-20403400-1392669963.jpg

• Like 3

wallfish

Look'in good Richie!

I NEED SOME IDEAS ON HOW TO DRESS OFF THIS CRANK. ANYONE?

It has a 1-7/16" diameter shaft.I was thinking about trying to make a "PTO clutch" looking bell but without pulley grooves.Kinda like an airplane prop spinner.

Maybe you can find something to attach to a belt guard to cover the shaft. Had the same issue with a different rat rod and used a cone shaped cover from an outdoor flood light. You could use just about anything that fits over the shaft. That way you don't have to balance it or worry about exploding parts flying off since it's not spinning.  

Here's a simple table for the steering's Akerman arm angles. Really makes a big difference since you lengthened the wheel base and should give you better steering with the correct angles.

http://myoldmachine.com/topic/51-akerman-steering-angles/     Click on the pics to make them larger

19richie66

Thanks John!

• Like 1

Stigian

Like this ? Already in the works but need to finish this one and my wife's commando 8 first. Thanks for the compliments also.

post-9187-0-20403400-1392669963.jpg

Oh yes.... Just like that :D

19richie66

Well I did some measuring and found my rear width from outside of tire to outside of tire was too narrow for my plow blade fender to work. I took my wheels off and cut the centers out and ground everything smooth with a flap wheel.I had two rim centers from two old wheels that I had saved for this very reason.I took the wheels and flipped them around because they are not the same inner diameter all the way through.I pushed in the centers and set them for 3.5" backspacing giving me a 6.5" lip on the front.Being the inside diameter is larger than the back,I will be able to use my wheelhorse hubcaps and they will set way back in the rim. I still had to narrow the plow 4" to get the tires to sit where I wanted them as to the edge of the fender. The part I cut off was rusted anyways so I didn't ruin a perfect plow..I hope I make John(wallfish) proud as his idea was fantastic.Here is where she sits now until I get it mounted.Please don't mind the messy shed.I am in the process of many things with cleaning up being one of them.

post-9187-0-95169800-1400720149.jpg

post-9187-0-81067800-1400720161.jpg

• Like 3

19richie66

Well I got the rear fender mount made.I used the old seat mounting frame section and cut it to the inner profile of the blade.I cut it to where the blade will rest on it and will be welded to it eventually.Also got the jackshaft mount finished and tacked on.My keyed shaft will only be a little longer than where it sticks out the pulley.Waiting on the man in brown. I will have two idlers holding the belt below the floor and the engine to jackshaft belt will have the release pulley for movement.The rear belt will be under tension at all times. More to come..........

post-9187-0-82442100-1402015426.jpg

post-9187-0-59256000-1402015534.jpg

post-9187-0-23607500-1402015636.jpg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

C-101plowerpower

looking good richie :thumbs:

Koen

19richie66

Thanks Koen. Got my keyed shaft today in the mail. Now I can get the belts figured out.

AMC RULES

Humm...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

can't wait to see those deep dish :wh: hub caps.