onisius

36" Mower Deck Spindle Bearing Removal

onisius

I have a 1974 C-100 with a 36" mower deck ( 05-36MR05-78305). I need to replace the spindle bearing (103119) on the center pulley assembly. I have disassembled down to the bearing housing(105074) and spindle bearing. What is best and safest way to remove spindle bearing from housing as bearing housing is no longer available on this planet? It has been

saturated with PB Blaster for days as a hopeful precaution. Is there a C-clip or snap-ring on this unit that I am unaware of? Can I hammer tap it out, do I use heat? And after successful removal what is best way to install new spindle bearing? Can I

do this or does it need a machine shop with a press to be done properly? Thank you for any experienced help anyone can 

supply on this matter. I have been given expert advice in the past from this forum and respect the members.

Onisius

squonk

If you heat the aluminum housing it will expand faster than the bearing. Heat it up and tap it on a bench and the brg. will fall out

groundhog47

When I pull up those part numbers I come up with the old double d cast iron spindle. It has a lip at bottom and open top. The aluminum spindles have a snap ring at bottom and open top, There is a tube that maintains spacing between top and bottom. If you have that type you can move the spacer tube off center and drive top bearing out or bottom bearing with snap ring removed. First drawing is aluminum example #26 = snap ring, # 24 = spacer , next drawing will be cast iron example if not mistaken as had some that were skinny aluminum I believe and my cast are 105074 (previous # was service assy).

post-8388-0-13019000-1396052617_thumb.jp

post-8388-0-02727400-1396052904_thumb.jp

Edited by groundhog47

Lane Ranger

I have removed about ten of these  103119 bearings from housings on 36 inch mower decks.  I have seen the bearings in at least three different types of housings but I have removed them the same way.   I open up a vice (good sized , heavy vice) and face the large flat surface down with the open end of the bearing housing -a little off center on the vice.   I take a good sized hammer and a board -hardwood or I use PVS  type decking board.  I  begin to hammer the bearing out.  

If it is particularly tight and moves slow I usually place a grade 8 bolt in the bearing at the narrow end of the housing and pound it out .  That has worked on everyone but one that was a very old, old bearing and almost rusted in the bearing housing.  I have several of these 36 inch housings.. A few had grease fittings,, some have no threads in the four holes that are bolted through the mower deck.   Most are threaded and have a lip to hold the bearing in on the narrow end of the housing but I have seen one with no lip on it too.

groundhog47

"but I have seen one with no lip on it too." (Lane)

Oh Lane! gee don't tell me I threw some away because of no lip, may still be in scrap pile. I pressed out bearing-shaft and passed off housing as gnawed down by crud in spindle cup. Believe there were two or three and I was disgusted at the loss. What holds that scudder in there when lip goes, other than deck.

Pardons onisius, didn't mean to detour your post, I did just press them out but with heat assist on the cast iron ones, considerable force!!

Edited by groundhog47

Lane Ranger

I will have to dig this one up but it was not a broken lip.    One of the reasons Wheel Horse kept innovating is because some ideas just did not work right! Ha!

onisius

I thank you all for your informative replies. It would appear by the diagrams supplied by grounghog47 that I have the cast bearing housing

shown in fig #2. No snap-ring no grease fittings just plain Jane assembly. I will move forward with all the good advice. This is truly a Forty

Year Old Virgin so wish me luck. I would still like to know the safest way to install new spindle bearing as bearings seem to be a tight fit

especially without any snap-rings to keep in place. Finally, if I should fail and end up damaging the cast bearing housing does anyone 

know where I might get one? I hope this reply gets back to all of you as I am using the multi-quote function assuming it goes out to all that

answered. I'm new at this so please bear with me.

groundhog47

I thank you all for your informative replies. It would appear by the diagrams supplied by grounghog47 that I have the cast bearing housing

shown in fig #2. No snap-ring no grease fittings just plain Jane assembly. I will move forward with all the good advice. This is truly a Forty

Year Old Virgin so wish me luck. I would still like to know the safest way to install new spindle bearing as bearings seem to be a tight fit

especially without any snap-rings to keep in place. Finally, if I should fail and end up damaging the cast bearing housing does anyone 

know where I might get one? I hope this reply gets back to all of you as I am using the multi-quote function assuming it goes out to all that

answered. I'm new at this so please bear with me.

I believe I sent you a pm on ones I have in classified, yes it shows in my messenger as sent yesterday

Edited by groundhog47

can whlvr

once the new bearing is in place I think that the bladeson the bottom and the pulley on top keep it in place as they are bolted down to the shaft

022.jpg

gwest_ca

I have a 1974 C-100 with a 36" mower deck ( 05-36MR05-78305). I need to replace the spindle bearing (103119) on the center pulley assembly. I have disassembled down to the bearing housing(105074) and spindle bearing. What is best and safest way to remove spindle bearing from housing as bearing housing is no longer available on this planet? It has been

saturated with PB Blaster for days as a hopeful precaution. Is there a C-clip or snap-ring on this unit that I am unaware of? Can I hammer tap it out, do I use heat? And after successful removal what is best way to install new spindle bearing? Can I

do this or does it need a machine shop with a press to be done properly? Thank you for any experienced help anyone can 

supply on this matter. I have been given expert advice in the past from this forum and respect the members.

Onisius

I don't know where you got the 05-36MR05 deck model number but it did not originally use the 103119 bearing. Look at models 5-0621 and 5-0622 in this chart. When you click on each model number in the index it will take you to a single page showing the original spindle assembly and any that replaced the original over the years.

I recall a page showing how that bearing is positioned in the housing but it may no longer apply for the bearings available today. There was a groove machined around one of the stub shafts and it was to be installed either up or down in the housing. I can't remember which.

Garry

gwest_ca

I see now where you got the 05-36MR05-78305.

I thought it was a model and serial number but it is 2 model numbers. The 78305 replaced the 05-36MR05.

Garry

cline

Can someone say on a 36" side discharge deck raider 12 witch way to install dumb bearing in housing. One side of drumb bearings are longer . Its 1.1/8 one one side and 11/4 on the other. Some one had installed bearing before and they were in different. This I be live would effect the blades matching up and a unlovely cut. Thanks ahead of time if someone could clarify.

953 nut

:WRS:         could be a previous owner had replaced one at one time. Don't think 1/8" will make a big difference.

cline

I didn't think so either but wanted to be consistent. Although when you install longer end down where the blade attaches , when you put bade on the spindle extends past the blade, this would only allow blade Asher to hold blade in place

Lane Ranger

As TT told me before:   

The short end goes up, Lane.

When the spindle unit is assembled, the shaft ends protrude almost equally - due to the lip at the bottom of the housing. (where the bearing unit seats)