HorseFixer

1955 RS-83 Resto Begins

HorseFixer

Stevebo, I wouldn't sell yourself short by no means. That JB weld is some pretty good stuff na I have used it many times. :thumbs: This afternoon I will start layin some reinforcement beads down on the backside of that rim and see how that Lab Metal stuff works :tools-wrench:  as I picked up a couple cans of that stuff today.

~Duke :wh:

Edited by HorseFixer

shorts

Bob,   Have you contacted Coker tire in Tn. they are real popular with the vintage car guys for tire and wheel related stuff.

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Shorts. Yeah I remember you telling me about them. Thanks for the Reminder and Well yes I just called them told them what I need

and they Reffered me to ME MILLER TIRE. :eusa-think:  I cant find a Major American Tire Company that Makes a 4X12 Tri Rib Front and a

8X16 Ag Tire Rear! and I dont want to put Shing Lee Flooey or Shlimp Flied LICE :jaw:  on my ride! :disgust:

• Like 1

stevebo

Original front tires for that tractor are 3.5 wide but are now easy to come by. If anyone has a source please let us all know.

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

Original front tires for that tractor are 3.5 wide but are now easy to come by. If anyone has a source please let us all know.

these? http://www.bandenservicezuidwest.nl/webshop/artikel_detail.php?i_art_id=8496

and for the rears http://www.bandenservicezuidwest.nl/webshop/artikel_detail.php?i_art_id=8986

both are bkt brand tires, don't know where they come from but they are pretty good for their price

Koen

• Like 1

stevebo

Those are 4.0 not 3.5 wide unless I missed something..

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

Those are 4.0 not 3.5 wide unless I missed something..

those are 4.0, but does the .5 really matter? 

Koen

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Well actually my front tires are 3.0 X 12 and I surely cant find any of those but all I have found is 4.0 X 12

All I think I can find is the 4.0 has anyone seen any less wide? :dunno:

HorseFixer

Started in welding on the worse rim so I fired up MR.TIG and first started with the holes that were seen in the rims. Next were the large craters caused by the chloride  :disgust: (that's stuff should be outlawed) after that I went after all the small craters. Before I finished I used 5 sticks of filler rod. I ran the tig torch slowly over all the bad areas and a couple burn through's occurred so I filled them. I feel confident that I have enough material and have brought the rim thickness back up where it should be. :tools-wrench:  I then spread in some Lab Metal time will tell how this product performs so far I like what I see.  :) Here are some pics.

~Duke  :wh:

DSCN6430.jpg

DSCN6446.jpg

DSCN6448.jpg

DSCN6453.jpg

DSCN6454.jpg

• Like 5

Ken B

Thats the ticket Duke, lookin good!

• Like 1

stevebo

Yes the extra 1/2 inch on the fronts do matter. If you look at the front end of many of these seniors they have been "knotched" so the inside of the wider tires do not rub. 

@Duke there are different true widths of the 4 inch wide tires so I would search for the the narrowest set you can find.... 

• Like 1

neil

looks great Bob, as long as the rim is structurally sound the rest is just cosmetic ,I know not ideal but  even if it last for 5 years of more gives  time to aquire a replacement rimor find an alternative . 

although not as bad, mine are in a similar state of moon like surface , besides i think its sometime nice to see a few battle scars.. :thumbs:  :thumbs:

• Like 1

ol550

Duke,  any chance you can move the spokes on the front hub to allow for a wider tire? :confusion-confused:   

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Yes the extra 1/2 inch on the fronts do matter. If you look at the front end of many of these seniors they have been "knotched" so the inside of the wider tires do not rub. 

@Duke there are different true widths of the 4 inch wide tires so I would search for the the narrowest set you can find.... 

Stevebo, Guess I have never paid attention to any seniors being Notched :eusa-think:  What do they notch and could you measure your tires and lemme know what they are at the thickest part So's I can have a refrence to go by? :confusion-shrug:

Thanks ~Duke :wh:

Duke,  any chance you can move the spokes on the front hub to allow for a wider tire? :confusion-confused:   

Mike Good question, I hope I wont have to do that.

HorseFixer

I was out working on the Senior yesterday evening and tried to Start the Wisconsin engine & discovered I had a very weak Spark I could read some spark through a Neon Spark Plug Tester but it would only light up one side which indicates a weak spark. I could get no spark across the plug. So this morning I dove into the Wico Mag. The first thing I ran into was a suspect Condenser    :eek:  kinda looks like sumptin may have got a lil warm?  :dunno:   I then looked at the points and they looked like sandpaper.  Then I took off the plug wire and Introduced it to MR. Ohm Meter and all I can say is 28.12 Ohms on the old wire compared to 0 zero Ohms on a fresh New Belden is no doubt a little difference in those resistance readings. I cleaned and re gapped the points, put an oddball new condenser in and replaced the Plug Wire still not much fire in the hole. :eusa-think:  I did some research and talked to a guy on the Net who rebuilds and sells these Wico Parts and he says 9 times out of 10 when he rebuilds one it has bad points, condenser or Coil. Well I have those parts coming hopefully by the weekend. 

Well this answers a few questions as a little more of the Mystery or History of this Senior is coming to light .  :techie-idea:   My WH Dealer friend who I got the Tractor from told me how he came about it. He said a guy brought it to him because it quit running and wanted to trade it in on something. So there it is Mystery Solved and I am soooo glad to know that was the reason.... Or at least I hope so. I will just have to keep my fingers :handgestures-fingerscrossed:  and hope that I can get it running decent. I have it up on jacks with the wheels off so I may be able to get an indication of the drive train condition. Here are some pics.

DSCN6462.jpg

DSCN6458.jpg

DSCN6456.jpg

DSCN6463.jpg

DSCN6461.jpg

DSCN6459.jpg

DSCN6457.jpg

Martin

enjoying the updates on this one, Duke.

heres  :orcs-cheers:  for the ignition being the main reason for the engine not running.  :thumbs:

• Like 1

fireman

Hey Duke,

If your going to the show I can have one of the CT guys bring that Wisconsin down!    :hide:

DSCN0019.jpg

• Like 1

HorseFixer

enjoying the updates on this one, Duke.

heres  :orcs-cheers:  for the ignition being the main reason for the engine not running.  :thumbs:

Thanks Martin,  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Parts didn't come today so I am still crossing my fingers. :bitch:

~Duke   :wh:

Hey Duke,

If your going to the show I can have one of the CT guys bring that Wisconsin down!    :hide:

DSCN0019.jpg

Thanks Jeff, :handgestures-thumbupright:    I am going to try and get this one running first cause I would like to keep what's on the Tractor, I think you can appreciate that.  :handgestures-thumbupright:    As for the Show don't think I can make it.  :crying-yellow:

fireman

I hear ya. Same goes for me as far as the show. Got a lot going on all around the same time.

• Like 1

rwilson

I like seeing guys bringing these old Wico's back to life! Nice job on the rim too.

• Like 1

ol550

Worked with an old timer many years ago that worked on all the mags that came into the shop.  First thing he would do

is clamp them in a vise. Never turned one until securely fastened.  Kept him from throwing it when it lit up. :dunno:

• Like 1

SousaKerry

Watch out when you get that old Wico sparkin when they are good and hot they will knock you on your A$$ real fast.  Played with a few and found out the hard way more then once. :popcorn:

• Like 1

shorts

I used to work in a marina, we had a spinner box built into an angle iron bench with a wood top, standard procedure was to remove the mag and put it on the spinner box to set the spring tension on the points and then spin the mag to set the dwell instead of just using feeler gauges, Rule 1, ground the coil output before turning on the spinner box/motor, did I mention make sure to ground the coil output before turning on the spinner box,  Rule 2, don't touch the angle iron frame of the bench while you're holding the body of the mag and spinning it to set the points, final test was to disconnect the coil output ground and check for spark while spinning the mag. anything less than a  spark that would jump a 1'' air gap was considered unacceptable. If you don't think that that much spark will light your fire try becoming the coil out ground or get close to the bench frame and be the air gap to test the coil for spark, you won't do it a second time.

• Like 2

HorseFixer

Well  I got the Wisconsin engine going. :tools-wrench:   I rebuilt the mag and then the carburetor. I am pretty happy that the ole girl doesn't smoke so that is good news. Here is a video of the engine running. I had a Couple Pal's stop by  today all the way from New York so They helped me run it through the motions and take this Video. Not seen Is Buckranchers better half Jo on the Camera. :handgestures-thumbupright:   Really enjoyed the visit!  :)

LINK.jpg

Edited by HorseFixer

stevasaurus

:)Excellent video Bob...always nice to have good help.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1