Nathanielperz

Hydro Puller

Nathanielperz

Can you pull in contests with a tractor that has a hydrostatic transmission? My father says you can't and i really dont know... I really want to enter in some pulls but i dont want to risk my tranny blowing up...

Thanks in advance, Nate      :eusa-think:

pstlouis

Depends on what kind of pulling your doing. I've got a 1277 and a 520hc, I have pulled both in stock off the lawn classes. With lawn/turf tires you will spin out long before you hurt the trany. However, if you plan on building big power, or using ags, I would strongly recommend an 8pinion over the hydro. Personally I prefer the 8spd for built pulling, and my hydros for around the house.

Nathanielperz

I have ags on it... so no pulling for me?    :crying-yellow:

Edited by Nathanielperz

baerpath

Depends on what type of pulling.

Nathanielperz

What kind of pulls are there?

pstlouis

I guess for starters, what tractor are you using? If you've moded the engine, what kind of power is it putting out? What size tires do you have on it? One thing to keep in mind too, when running AGS, you definatly want wheelie bars. Good chance you'll go over before you stall it.

Nathanielperz

I am using a Wheel Horse 1276 i have not modded the engine the original K301 and its got 23x8.50-12 read tires... 

pstlouis

As long as you don't get into doing anything too crazy you should be fine for now. My1277 has had its fair share of abuse and its taking it quite well. Once you start going to bigger tires and adding power is were you will have the problems. What class will you be pulling in?

Nathanielperz

I have no idea what one would be good for a beginner and not bad for the tranny?

Thanks, Nate

Jim_M

My best advice would be to attend a couple of pulls, see what people are using, talk to a few people, get a copy of the rules and then start building your tractor.

pstlouis

Jim m. Makes a great point, it is how I got started. Check their rules list and see what tech. Specs for a class your tractor currently best fits so you can get right out and start pulling if you want. I started in stock off the lawn with my 1277 hydro. The only problem you may have with that class is most clubs do not allow ag tires in s.o.t.l., only regular lawn tires. Then if you've caught the pulling fever, you can decide which class best fits you and build or buy a pulling tractor.

Edited by pstlouis

Nathanielperz

I just want to go stock. Another thing I realized is that if the pulling strip (or what ever the technical term for it is) is dirt wouldn't the tires just spin or dig in way before the tranny blows?  Also why don't they allow ags?

Jim_M

You need to get a copy of the rules from the club you'll be pulling with to know what they allow and what they don't allow.

Edited by Jim_M

pstlouis

True, the lawn tires will spin out for sure, with AGS, if they hook good, and depending on the shape of your tranny, it may not be a happy ending. The tractors are usually standing right up on the wheelie bars and many times stall before the tires give up their grip in the 12.5hp open stock class in my club. I've never had the front of my 1277 in the air with the turf tires pulling in stock.

pstlouis

As far as why you can't run AGS, it just depends on what the club rules are. Some allow it some don't. Kinda club preference

chris11

If you want to break it. you can come pull on concrete at spencer 4h. Im still waiting on a list of what dates we have.

100_5216.jpg

chris11

This is my team mates hydro that was the last time he pulled.

th_100_5191.jpg

Nathanielperz

That's not modded or anything lol!!!