rtfbg

D200 ID Tag and trans line questions!!

rtfbg

My ID tad has me confused ... it shows the "91" number on the upper line, which comes back mas a 79 model, but the second line show a build date of the 152th day of 1978.  Thoughts???

Has anyone had to repair one or more of the hard lines in the transmission manifold setup?  (the assembly with the two blocks welded to the 4 hard lines, pump to tranny)

thanks!!!

bob

post-12710-0-21739900-1395721397.jpg

Edited by gulftane

pfrederi

Have never had a leak in the lines themselves.  O rings at  the manifolds yes... Used manifold line sets show up on Ebay frequently.

Hodge71

I have to make a repair to my line set very soon. It has started to bleed out of the brazed joint where the line meets the manifold under the seat....I really don't want to take this all apart to silver braze it but I guess I have no choice as Im tired of it marking its spot like an old Harley.

• Like 1

pfrederi

I have to make a repair to my line set very soon. It has started to bleed out of the brazed joint where the line meets the manifold under the seat....I really don't want to take this all apart to silver braze it but I guess I have no choice as Im tired of it marking its spot like an old Harley.

It keeps it from rusting underneath.  None of my tractors big or small are in danger of rusting out from the bottom :)

ericj

i tried to braze 1 one time didn't work to good gave up and bought a used replacement and fixed the tractor that way

eric j 

coldone

If you are going to silver braze it you will need at least 45% silver braze and flux. You will have to use an oxy/fuel setup to get the heat high enough to burn off the contaminates.

Hodge71

I have the proper torch and tips. I am an HVAC guy and I am familiar with the process from doing compressors and line sets. I can heat it cherry red before I hit it with the flux and silver.  If that doenst work I may have no choice to spend the money for a used line set

wheeledhorseman

Re the tag I'm no expert and I'm sure others will chip in if I'm wrong but heres some observations regarding the 1977, 1978 and 1979 models of the D-200. The word 'model' refers more to design than factually indicating year of manufacture and like the auto industry models were introduced earlier than Jan 01.

The 1977 model (I have one) was the last with the red & white WH decals and things started to change with the 1978 model. Keeping it simple the rear rims that could be put on either way round for wide or narrow track were replaced by wider rims that only fitted one way. A band brake was added to the tranny, and decals changed in a kind of odd way.

Initially the 1978 model was given a mix'n match set of decals some from the Red & White style, some from the new silver on black for controls, and an interim newish style D-200 for the sides of the instrument dash. Example in a thread here: 

I have a second D-200 that is a slightly later 1978 model but it has the full set of later style decals. Both my 1978 D-200 and the one in the above thread share the same parts suffix of 01 despite the differences. There never was an 02 variant for that years model.

Technically yours is a '79 spec model that apparently went into production earlier in the preceding year than would normally be the case so perhaps they decided to hurry on from the confusion :confusion-shrug:

Andy

Edited by wheeledhorseman
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

My ID tad has me confused ... it shows the "91" number on the upper line, which comes back mas a 79 model, but the second line show a build date of the 152th day of 1978.  Thoughts???

Has anyone had to repair one or more of the hard lines in the transmission manifold setup?  (the assembly with the two blocks welded to the 4 hard lines, pump to tranny)

thanks!!!

bob

Could you post the serial number on this ID plate? I see 0529_

Tractor production did start very early in 1978 for the 1979 models. Have seen a serial as low as 00048 for a C-81 but do not know the build date on that one.

Serial 02109 has a build date of 8146 Friday May 26, 1978 - Another C-81

Serial 05207 has a build date of 8151 Wednesday May 31, 1978 - D-200 Auto

Serial 05262 has a build date of 8152 which is Thursday June 1, 1978 - D200 Auto

Serial 05293 has a build date of 8152 which is yours - D-200 Auto

For most model years the early build dates were for attachments and the tractors followed likely because it would be easier to store attachments than assembled tractors. 

The 1979 models would have been released in October of 1978 like is done with the automotive industry today so they had to get an early start.

Build dates are not the actual day they built the unit. It is the date that batch of units with their serial numbers was scheduled to be built.

Garry

coldone

I am an HVAC guy and I am familiar with the process from doing compressors and line sets. I can heat it cherry red before I hit it with the flux and silver. 

Sorry, just seen too many folks use 15% and MAPP torches trying to braze steel together. No offense was intended.

rtfbg

Garry ... that's what I see, 0529.

After a meeting with the welder and the hydro gooroo, we have a plan.  Cut the hard lines near the manifold blocks, and weld on regular steel pipe fittings, then fabricate soft lines to fit each set.  Two are 5/8 and two are 1/2.  I think it will work fine.  Purpose is to facilitate an 18 inch frame stretch.

bb

wheeledhorseman

Garry, here's another D-200 from 1978

post-4509-0-84030900-1395878719.jpg

81-20KS01 serial 04663 build 8340

I'll get the details of mine (also in the UK) tomorrow.

Andy

Edited by wheeledhorseman

gwest_ca

Garry ... that's what I see, 0529.

bb

Looks like a 3, 8 or 9 following the 9 in the photo.

gwest_ca

Garry, here's another D-200 from 1978

attachicon.gifplate.jpg

81-20KS01 serial 04663 build 8340

I'll get the details of mine (also in the UK) tomorrow.

Andy

Not uncommon to see an incorrect build date. I think the person doing the stamping did not understand the Julian calender. They were stamping a 1978 plate in 1977 so used the 8 for the year. This happened a lot and shows up easier now that the list has grown.

This should be 7340 which is December 6, 1977.

The highest 1978 serial recorded for the 1978 model year is 20265 with build date 8144 (May 24, 1978) for US production.

This one looks like a USA build.

On 8340 they would have been building 1979 models.

The 1978 Belgium built serials so far range from 162416 to 165051.

Garry

rtfbg

Yes, I see that also, but it seems like a lighter strike than the other numbers.  Also, that would indicate a rather significant number of units produced by this early date.  I didn't know they made that many D's, let alone by the summer before they were intro'd!!v  interesting!!

wheeledhorseman

With a bit of enhancement, like Garry - I'd say that's a 3

post-4509-0-87287900-1395882854.jpg

Andy

gwest_ca

Yes, I see that also, but it seems like a lighter strike than the other numbers.  Also, that would indicate a rather significant number of units produced by this early date.  I didn't know they made that many D's, let alone by the summer before they were intro'd!!v  interesting!!

Lower serial numbers than yours could have been attachments. They likely built 2 or 3 attachments for every tractor built so they would add up quickly. Have never seen a serial number duplicated within a model year.

The 1978 USA serial numbers likely started a 00001 and the highest recorded so far is 20265 so that is a lot of product if they used most of the numbers. I am sure some got missed by the way it was done.

Garry

gwest_ca

With a bit of enhancement, like Garry - I'd say that's a 3

attachicon.gifsharpened.jpg

Andy

You have better results than I got. Sure looks like a 3. Thank you.

Garry

rtfbg

Ahhh ... see I never ASSumed they would assign the same series of ID numbers to attachments.  Now it makes a lot more sense.  Yea, I vote for a 3 also.  Love my Canon with the macro setting, you can really get some detail!! lol  not so good on some of my relatives though!!!  yuk!!

wheeledhorseman

I've not paid a lot of attention to the Julian bit of the tag before now as apart from the D-200s the others from that period that I own were assembled in Belgium where they didn't use it on the tags. I believe certain tractors like the D series and GT-14 were all imported direct from South Bend and not assembled by AMNOR. So here's the ID from my 1978 model D-200.

post-4509-0-26455200-1395939520_thumb.jp

Seems like nobody spotted the Julian commission date error for a while as I believe that would be December 10, 1977 then (assuming the year error). Another for your list Garry and you've got me going now...

My 1977 model D-200 is 71-20KS01, serial 5454 and the Julian commision date is 6319 so I take it that the year error was not made and this tractor was one of a batch commissioned on November 15, 1976. Sorry but didn't think to get a photo today.

Andy

rtfbg

Hey ... since we're on this ID tag thing, is anyone making new tags???  Certainly not gonna leave my crappy lookin tag on a rebuild!!!