posifour11

who's getting started?

Fun Engineer

HI Rich

So your using regular bulbs, not plant bulbs? Nice setup.

312Hydro

HI Rich

So your using regular bulbs, not plant bulbs? Nice setup.

Yes , I did some research online and found out about the bulbs. I do have 2 of the daylight bulbs in the bottom light.The top 2 have 1 daylight and 1 warm white light in each. I also read that rope lights under the trays act as heaters for warmth when getting the seeds to germinate. they need to be incandescent though ,not led. Haven't tried that yet but haven't had any problems. Thanks

farmer

I put in 50 ft of garlic last autumn and that looks fantastic now , shallots, onions and potatoes look well, but that's it so far on the plot. Heavy rain storms wont let me get on outside, indoors I've got tomatoes, peppers and butternut squash..... Itching to get on. :coffee:  :)

• Like 1

Butch

I'm gonna guess you guys are growing way more veggies than you can eat. What are you doing with

all of the excess?

• Like 1

posifour11

I'm gonna guess you guys are growing way more veggies than you can eat. What are you doing with

all of the excess?

Canning and freezing the excess.

• Like 1

Butch

Is there something to know about canning or do you just throw them in the jars

and put the lid on?

posifour11

Its pretty easy but requires a bit more than that. There are several tutorials online to get started. Depending on the type of food, it could be pressure canning or simple hot water bath. Neither are dangerous if proper precautions are taken. Its very rewarding to know all that food is not going to waste.

farmer

:text-yeahthat: Mostly freeze excess here, but started canning for the first time last year, tried tomatoes, beetroot and pears, worked out really well.

Hopefully put up more in jars this season.  :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Fun Engineer

We also do a fair amount if canning. Stewed tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, salsa, corn relish, chutney. We also do applesauce, pickles, pickled beets, regular beats. We do a fair amount of jams also, wild blackberry, wild raspberry, hybrid raspberry, wild strawberry, hybrid strawberry, Tart cherry and blueberry. My wife even did a combination of strawberry blueberry cinnamon last year. It was pretty good. We try to grow most of what we can, but sometimes we have to supplement to have enough. When we do we buy from the local farmers market.

Sent from my tractor seat using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

shorts

In my opinion the canning guides put out by the USDA and Ball canning jar company are the old standby's and have been around almost for ever, also check with your local county extension agent office and or state university ag programs to find out if their any local groups to help get you started. their are many other sources for information, not the least of which is MOTHER EARTH  NEWS and the other back to the land lifestyle publications as well as the interwebs. Do some homework  and see if you think it's something that you want to get involved in, it's relatively expensive to get started when you purchase equipment like a large pressure canner and a bunch of jars so don't expect to save any money the first couple of years but you will definitely be eating better healthier food and once you get past the initial cost your expenses drop off to new lids and additional jars. We buy most of our produce for canning from the local farm market that we have a running history with and the help us to get the best product at it's optimum ripeness for canning, we used to put in a garden to feed the critters and then go and buy produce to put away, now it's almost all ornamental plants and some herbs, greens and tomatoes to eat fresh.

One of the biggest benefits that I've found by canning is the other uses for the pressure cooker, dry beans in 12 to 15 minutes, pork shoulder for pulled pork 45 minutes and other tough cuts of meat. in short order, the other big benefit is you have control of what spices and seasonings that you use, if you don't like a certain flavor leave that spice out, I use local unfiltered honey in place of sugar and try to keep the amount of salt to a minimum in most things but their are some things that you have to use salt in, sauerkraut for one

Butch

I guess I need to do some research. But if you can your vegetables like tomatoes do they taste like they came off the vine? I don't want

stewed tomatoes. I want veggies to make salads with. I have a separate freezer but space is still limited. Some of these gardens look

pretty big. That looks like a lot of freezing and canning.

shorts

Canned tomatoes will not be like fresh off the vine tomatoes, but they will taste a whole lot better than store bought canned tomatoes, also you will have control of what your tomato products taste like, tomato or V8 juice. pizza sauce, pasta sauce tomato paste etc. We do a lot of tomato sauces and juice but also lots of just plain whole tomato's. I also like to make my own pickles, using honey instead of sugar for the sweets, also figured out that if you process pickles at 180f pasteurized instead of cooked to mush that they stay crisp without adding chemicals

• Like 1

rmaynard

Well, I finally got my tomato plants in today. I bought Early Girl and hope to be eating fresh tomatoes by July 4th.

• Like 1