posifour11

who's getting started?

posifour11

I finally got potatoes and onions in the ground today. The wife planted some greens this weekend.

So, what's everyone's plans for this year's garden?

• Like 1

312Hydro

I'm just about finished building my seed starter rack. I wanted to try growing from seed this year so it will be ready by April 1st to use. Garden is too wet here to do anything with it yet.

Edited by 312Hydro
  • Like 1

rmaynard

Can't start anything until it finally decides to stop snowing and the ground unfreezes and dries out. But when it does, tomatoes, zucchini, onions, and eggplants are on my menu this year.

• Like 2

rexman72

hmmmmm still have 2 feet of snow on the ground but I plan on doing some gardening this year.

• Like 1

posifour11

I guess I am kinda lucky with the warmer weather now. Hope y'all are getting your gardens planned. Won't be long now.

• Like 1

rexman72

posifour11  we are happy for you and will live through your garden until we can get ours going.

• Like 2

IthacaJeff

Woke up to a couple of inches of ice this morning. I've got at least 3 weeks until things dry out enough.

Mostly growing trees this year -- in home-made grow bags (old woven poly feed bags) placed in the fenced

garden. Want to get seedlings a saplings started and large enough not to be killed off by deere and

varmints the first year.

Jeff

• Like 1

fabricator2009

Still too cold and wet here in northern Indiana. I've been hearing rumors of a snow storm coming around Easter. Approx. two feet of the white stuff. I hope their just rumors. I guess I will wait to see.

6wheeler

Too cold and snowy here still. Another 6" to 14" Thursday through Saturday here. We got all of the seed strips ready though. And, checked sweet corn seed saved from my crop last year for germination 100%. So, now I am happy. I don't think we will be able to do anything with the gardens until close to May. But, I did have a friend of mine bring down 16 tons of cow manure last weekend. If it ever warms up and dries out a little, I can spread it and start working then gardens By the way, the seed strips are an awesome idea.

Edited by 6wheeler

rick

Still too wet and cold for me, can't till yet.

Jim_M

It will probably be another month before I can even think about getting started.

Desko

I will be planting watermelon, pumpkins, zucchini, cucumber's, tomatoes, peppers, sweet corn, and sunflowers. If I can ever get it disked over.

kaiser

snow is finally gone here. we had covered the garden with cardboard, most of which has blown into the back 40. lol.

the mrs ordered seeds today. she's pregnant, due in oct, so we are doing a kind of low maintenance garden this year.

lots of squaches, pumpkins and a few other things. i am going to try for more corn this year though.

HorseFixer

We do have some veg in the flats indoor waiting for it to warm up. 

~Duke  :wh:

kaiser

seeds arrived yesterday. i just reserved the tiller for sunday. sure i could find a wh tiller, but once you use a baretto you never go back, beasts!

posifour11

We planted some peas and Brussels sprouts last Sunday. This weekend, I'm putting in popcorn and probably more short season crops too. I don't want to get too crazy and not have enough time to take care of it all.

Jim_M

I planted spinach, carrots, radishes, lettuce, swiss chard, peas and onions today. All the things that grow in cold soil and can withstand frost. I'll probably wait a little while to plant potatoes, the ground is still a little cool and we'll get some frost yet.

kaiser

we tilled and set up the garden fencing this weekend, we were going to do some planting but have some heavy rain in the forecast. we'll most likely plant this coming saturday.

the garlic is 5 inches tall though, woo hoo for november planting. lol

• Like 1

fabricator2009

tilled he garden yesterday. Still a little wet yet, kind of clumpy. I guess the rumors of a blizzard were just a rumor. Thank god. Going to till again this week, then I can get planting.

• Like 1

Butch

Tomatoes, Hot peppers, Bell peppers, onions, string beans, iceberg lettuce, radishes, cucumbers and silver queen corn.

• Like 1

posifour11

6wheeler, please explain the seed strip thing.

312Hydro

It's been about a month and here is a pic showing the plants and rack I built.I'm going to add 2 foot wide shelves next as I'm running out of room as I transplant them.

DSCN0502_zps2a818f98.jpg

Edited by 312Hydro
  • Like 1

RMCIII

Wife has bee nat it for almost a month now. Her hobby in the summer. Mine finished up with the last snow fall.

Fun Engineer

It's been about a month and here is a pic showing the plants and rack I built.I'm going to add 2 foot wide shelves next as I'm running out of room as I transplant them.

DSCN0502_zps2a818f98.jpg

Any more pictures of your growing station? Are you using T12's or T8 light fixtures?

Sent from my tractor seat using Tapatalk 2

312Hydro

I'm using T12s at the moment as they are regular shop lights . I'm going to get 3 or 4 bulb T8 fixtures for next year. If you click on the pic it will take you to my Photobucket and you can see more pics there. It really worked great with 1 6500k bulb and 1 4500 bulb in each fixture. You can also raise the lights as the plants grow. I'll post some more pics of the 2 foot wide shelves soon.