Cork

New Guy with a C160

Cork

My sons, ages 9 and 11, decided they want to try pulling in the youth class at some of the local pulls.  I just purchased a C160 for their first pulling tractor.  They will be pulling in the stock 900lb class.  They can use up to a 23x10.50x12 tire.  Any reccomendations on tires?  Can I mount 23x 10.50 Ags on the stock 8.50 wheels?  I'm also looking for input on a variable speed pulley.  I also believe the C160 has the weaker 4 pinion rear which I wil probably use until it breaks.  What is the approximate weight of the C160?  Thanks for the advice, I enjoy looking at all the amazing tractors on this forum.

KC9KAS

I don't have answers to your questions, but :WRS:

baerpath

Tires I would use Firestone or Carlisle's. I don't like the china knock offs there not full size 10.50's

If the trans is original it is a 8 pinion rear, but it will have the smaller web type hubs with one lock and the smaller half moon key ways. Fine for the class your looking at.

Deere Hunter

When you switch to 23x10.5 you will need a wider rim. If not the tire will not lay flat enough to get the full benefit of going with the wider tire. Stay away from the Tru Power Ags of Carlisle and Titan, they do not work. If you can still find Carlisle Super Lugs they will work fine. What club will you be pulling with? Find out if they allow the Vogel VMTT Tire, its designed off the discontinued Carlisle Super Lug. Once you get to pulling you may find you will need different tires for certain tracks.  

As far as an adjustable pulley, I wouldn't mess with that till you pull it a few times to see where your gearing is at. You may be fine without it. If you find you need one, look in a grainger catalog, that is where I found one. Or in the mean time pick up a hydro pulley and try that first if you need more ground speed.  

JC 1965

Hello and  :WRS:

Cork

Thanks for the information so far.  Not sure we will be pulling with any specific club.  Probably the county fairs and the pulls at Garden Chapel.  The rules say no Pro Pulling tires or Cut tires  but Ag tires are permitted.  Not sure how the Vogel would be classified as it does appear similar to the Carlisle Super lug. 

rexman72

welcome to the group

Deere Hunter

Since you will be pulling with Garden Chapel, check with Pastor Paul or Kevin Holley. Either one of those guys can point you in the right direction on a WH Puller. They are using an off brand tire, made in China brand I believe that works pretty good for them. Wish I had some more info but I have been out of the stock class for a few years now.