jdw

new to wheel horse

jdw

i just got in to wheel horse about a week ago when i got a c-160 8 speed it is in good shape with the body and motor trans is tight in all gears and pulls very hard.      when i got it home i started the tear down to restore this little tractor and found the right hand side hub and axle has some problems the key way on the hub is chewed up and the shaft key way is in rough shape and as of the key well not much left of it has any one else had these problems. or know how to fix and where to get parts?    :banghead:  im in need of help lol by the way love the forum 

darg

I have a c160, but have not taken the hubs off to see in what condition they are in, but just a suggestion , you might file the slot out somewhat and fit a larger key way , also you would have the do the hub also. Check and see if the correct hub is installed, shaft size. Sound like someone installed a smaller key and it sloped the keyway out. You might get lucky and file the old one out to make it work. Should hold unless you tend to pull some heavy loads, better than installing a new trans shaft.

jdw

thanks for the info  :)     from what i can tell it looks like it was run a long time while the hub was lose the hub don't bother me as much as the axle shaft going to have to do some thinking... i think it may be time to call my friend the machinist who owes me one haha  

slammer302

If you put a new key in and get a new hub and tighten it down good it will normally last for ever just keep it tight and check it from time to time my commando 8 had the same problem. I have a hub if you need one pm me

can whlvr

welcome,you have a great tractor to restore,as far as the axle,if your machinist cant broach a new keyway,post in the want add area,we have some very good parts guys here and im sure you can get a hub and axle for your tractor,ya you will have to tear the tranny apart,but that's not real difficult as we have lots of guys here that will help you and there is some great video step by step instuctions

AMC RULES

:WRS:

953 nut

:WRS:  Glad to see another North Carolina member! As has been stated, new hub and a new key and you should be good to go, if your buddy can cut a new keyway, so much the better.

Keep us posted as you go along, and :wwp: 

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

jdw

has any one ever cut a new key way in a old hub?    thanks for all the help and welcomes from every body  

jdw

i will try to get pictures of the tractor on here in a few days..... i also have a grader blade i will post pictures of i thank im missing some parts for it to hook it up

jackhammer

jdw . welcome to RedSquare

groundhog47

JDW, one of our members cut an opposing key slot into axel with a dremel type grinder. Found it

You might try a search in "box" top right of main page. Some have used JB Weld or similar to "tighten" up key slot. All said on recut it becomes a tad weaker and is sometimes better than searching for a replacement axel and tear down. :text-welcomewave: to :rs:

Edited by groundhog47