WHEEL HORSE BILL

Wheel horse 12 automatic

WHEEL HORSE BILL

I was driving by an old farm house a spotted a wheel horse just sittng there with no engine and no hood and thought to myself should I stop or forget about it well I turned around and went back no one was home to answer the door so i went back yesterday and the guy was outside feeding the beef cows i just had to ask what was up with the tractor he said the engine was blowning smoke right by the rings and that he was going to fix it but does not have time now so he asked if i was interested in the tractor I said yes. I was the first person who even asked for the tractor.He was going to junk it next week if I didn't asked for it so make a long story short I got the complete tractor for a cool $50.00 with the hood and motor.Can anyone tell how are these automatics.

Edited by WHEEL HORSE BILL

Ed Kennell

:wwp:  What model ?    

Sparky

A 12 Auto would be a 1973 model (the no-name year). It has a Sundstrand hydro. Is it hydraulic or manual lift?

Mike............

Hodge71

:wwp:  What model ?    

Im just thinking that because of the the title of the post....it may be a 1973 12 Automatic?...just a completely random guess though.... :ychain:

Sparky.... 12 Auto should have manual lift and electric clutch

WHEEL HORSE BILL

It is a 12 automatic for $50 engine needs rings but complete.

Ed Kennell

The 1973 12 Automatic would have the 90-2046 Sundstrand tranny. I have 2046 trannys in 12 an 16 HP tractors with no problems.

Does the tranny oil look,smell, and feel like new 30 wt oil ?

Edited by ekennell

Pollack Pete

Pays to stop and ask.I've gotten some free Wheel Horses that way.Couple for 25 bucks too.Couple for 50 bucks.How about some pics?Have fun with your new 50 dollar toy.

Hammerhead

Those are good heavy duty machines! Good buy on that one. Even better for the price. I just bought one at an auction for a cheap price of $175 and it runs good and the auto tranny is pretty sweet too. It has the wrong hood decals and one front rim though. 022_zpsaf5501ea.jpg

Edited by Hammerhead

Jrblanke

Great timing! He was going to scrap it next week? It is heart breaking to hear stories of people scrapping tractors. I hated to hear when someone a few hours from me scrapped a couple mid 60s machines that would have been great parts tractors for me.

Congrats on the find!

Ed Kennell

Bill, You can test that tranny,  You can fasten the front end well to a tree, and then  remove the four bolts in the bottom of the  tool box. and remove the seat and tool box to access the pump pulley.  Then align another tractor behind and connect its PTO to the Tranny with your drive belt.  While running the tranny pump, you can measure pump pressure or see if she will spin the tires in forward and reverse. 

WHEEL HORSE BILL

I really don't know what im gonna do with it yet.I might trade for a 854 round hood not sure yet or might keep it for parts or flip.I already have 6 wheel horse and im running out of room LOL.How are these automatics for plowing.

Dieselcowboy

All my larger tractors are autos. (16auto, c160auto, and 520H) They are more than capable of doing anything a stick can do. That's ground engaging work and all.  And they have one thing on the 8sp's, I just move 1 finger to lift my attachments if yours has hyd lift that is. 

WHEEL HORSE BILL

cool maybe I will keep it then.How hard is it to replace the rings on a 12 horse.The guy says it blows smoke so I'm thinking it's blowin by the rings.

can whlvr

as far as doing rings,its not real difficult but does need a few special tools,and the kohler manual,and some attention to detail,and a good machine shop,its rare that an engine of that age just needs rings,its possible but not likely,it may need a bore,different piston ,rings rod,if the crank needs turned or polished,maybe valves and lapped,sometimes a hone and rings are possible,but the only way to know is to tear her down and have it measured,a good machine shop will measure your bore and crank journal,then you know what you need to do