bmsgaffer

Would you buy: Wiring Simplifier/Tractor Controller

Tractor ECU  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a wiring simplifier for your tractor?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which version would you purchase?

• Deluxe, advanced sensor capability, reporting with a screen or two. $$$$ (Goal $250)
    • Advanced, advanced control, no screens $$$ (Goal $200)
    • Basic + Regulator, Give me the basic version with built in regulator $$ (Goal $150)
    • Basic, just need to replace a nasty old harness and dont care if its not original (Goal $100)
    • I want one, but I need it to be cheaper than $100
    • Don't think this is necessary.

bmsgaffer

Hey everyone. I have been thinking of a product that I want to design and build for my tractor, but want to know if anyone else would be interested in purchasing one.

I am still in the concept stage and I need to judge interest level if I proceed with this.

I want to build a "wiring simplifier" that would be a box that you would install in your tractor and it would be the control unit for the tractor. It would eliminate complicated wiring harnesses and make it so anyone could rewire their tractor and make it reliable. All connections to box would be made with readily available 'fastons' otherwise known as spade connectors.

You would run just two wires to each safety switch, and headlight switch, three to the key switch, one to the coil, battery and a few other connections. This unit would handle all the switching and control necessary to go between them.

I would consider building a few different models:

• Basic - just what I have listed above. All it does is make it easier to re-wire your tractor.
  • Basic + Regulator/Rectifier - What I have listed above but includes a built in smart regulator/rectifier that could control the charging of your battery too.
  • Advanced - Make this unit "smart" in which it could take control of your existing gauges if you have them and you gould add gauges if you don't have them (with necessary sensor) like tachometer, fuel, ammeter (would have to change this one out from the original), you would be able to plug this unit into a computer for diagnostics and programming
  • Deluxe - All of the above including an LCD screen to output hours, battery condition, charging condition, fuel levels, tachometer, air temp, engine temp, transmission temp/pressure, and a few other things with added sensors.

I have not nailed down the features yet because I want your input. Is there something that it should do that I have not listed? Am I going overboard? Do you have any questions?

Let me know your thoughts!

Edited by bmsgaffer

WH nut

Sounds more complicated than the tractor wiring. Sorry I wouldn't be interested.

• Like 2

Hodge71

Believe it or not one of the reasons most love these tractors is because there are no electronic boxes and jigger this and computer so and so that I need an interface to see what is going on when they are troubleshooting. SIMPLICITY...... KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID..... Im much happier being able to trace wires and replace them and the associated switches as needed. No need for complications in that process

• Like 3

bmsgaffer

Well, that's exactly why I am looking for your all's feedback.

I didn't think anyone thought the 520's were that simple, but thank you for your feedback!

I know I want to clean the wiring up on my restorations cause they didnt wire them very cleanly, which the basic one would do. But I am also an electrical engineer and like tech-y things so I will probably go all out. :)

AMC RULES

Humm...similar but different.

bmsgaffer

Humm...similar but different.

I had seen that, but wiring harnesses are labor intensive to create, and each model is unique. Once the circuit board is designed, it would be easy to reproduce and one box would work on any model from a simple round hood all the way up to the 520. Also, considering that many tractors are similar in wiring, this would work on many colors of tractor. (but best on red of course)

Martin

i think you would have more interest in several 'generic' type wiring harnesses. yes, they are labor intensive to make, but if you work out the lengths and do say 10 at a time they go fairly quick. the later ones use the plastic split tubing to loom the wires, so wrapping them is easy. you still need to terminate wires which ever way you do it, and that for me takes the most time.......

the biggest hurdle which ever method you choose, is the variety of models, engines, options, types of safety switches and different terminals they used over the many years. 

I've thought about making wiring harnesses and offering them for sale, just don't think the demand is there and that people are willing to pay what is involved for them in labor and parts.....

i do enjoy making them, they are relatively simple, from the most basic 60s tractors up. even the 3,4 and 500 series tractors are a simple harness. the complicated part of electrical systems on these tractors is when the wiring/terminals are 20 or more years old and have spent a lifetime outdoors. 

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

FWIW

1950's wire harness - 175 feet of wire @ 5 lbs.

1999 Chrysler 300N harness = 3, 699 feet and 50+ lbs.

forgot the pic

post-1689-0-64522700-1394706456_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Kelly

Sounds like the end user still has to build a harness from the switches to the box, and if their connections are not good or use crappy products the best box in the work will not help, also if the switches are not in good shape there is a weak link, and will it be water proof ?? rain, snow or washing the tractor, I'm sure it sounds good on paper, but I think I would pass, I can build a harness complete for less than $50 in a few hours. 

• Like 2

6wheeler

Something relatively simple that could be plug and play for less than a hundo would be good. Unlike some of the folks on here, I hate tracing and repairing harnesses. Especially when commander hack-n-wack was in there before I bought the unit. My 520 was a wiring nightmare when I got it. I knew this going in. It had 10 different splices and jumpers all over. I don't like to sit and build harnesses. I am a big fan of "clean" wiring. JMO

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

Maybe not a universal "manager" but maybe a universal BACCM. Battery and Charge Control Manager,

Like a universal charger that changes battery charge voltage to appropriate winter vs summer charge levels

and ... wait for it ...

a battery desulfator circuit installed in the controller.

Throw in a battery "gas gauge" to tell me if I store the tractor with the battery not fully charged and gives me the option to place a trickle charger on the battery, now you have a usefull accessory to extend battery life out to possibly over 5 years. That WILL save money and be worth having. 

• Like 1