bmsgaffer

Good Short Frame Project?

bmsgaffer

I am looking for a tractor that will be a future project for my son and I. (He's approaching 11 months old, so I am getting a head start)

I know I am looking for a short frame tractor, but I know very little about that era. I need the parts to be relatively available (not rare), easy to work on, engine forward (i dont want him to have a hot engine between his legs), and smaller, but not too small to do some work like plowing snow etc, and I need it to be cheap.

I am ok doing work on it (eventually with him), but it cant be a basket case.

I know lawn rangers have been suggested to people in the past, but I like the look of the round hoods with the taller back tires (and they look good running duals :) )

What should I be looking for?

Anyone here have a nice one for sale?

I have seen a 753 local, is that the right size?

Edited by bmsgaffer

boovuc

Let me make a suggestion...............The round hoods are getting harder to find as a project tractor without crossing into basket case territory.

If you can find one, great. For a short frame project tractor that parts are very easy to get yet has a very classic look, try to find an "867". This is a 1967 8 HP short frame that was very plentiful. Many parts are interchangeable with other tractors from that era as well. You won't have trouble finding one and you won't spend a lot of money for it.

This is mine. It still needs a dash panel refurb, the original seat needs installed, etc. etc. but you get the idea of how they look. And they are very easy to work on. They also are great workers. I still use mine a hand full of times each summer to mow. Mine is more to look at than to work. They also have a "cigar lighter" standard! You can't beat that! :)

• Like 3

Ken B

I was going to recommend exactly what boovuc did but now I don't have to!

Nice 867, she looks stout.

slammer302

I agree with boovuc I have a 856 857 commando 8 and I have fell in love with these models

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Thanks for the suggestion, that is the kind of think I am looking for. Small but plentiful.

Are there others in that era or is the 867 the most plentiful? I am assuming anything with a '7' at the end for 1967?

Did you put wider wheels on the back of yours?

Edited by bmsgaffer

Ken B

Yes the 7 does identify it as a 67. It does look as though boovuc put wider rims and tires on his 867. If you look thru the Wheel Horse picture gallery you can look thru all the different models so you can get an idea of what you like and what to look for. I'd recommend a model with a Kohler engine on it with electric start.

dclarke

Brandon, I'd also say to look for a square hood short frame. They're out there and not too hard to find parts for. Here's a pic of an 857 I finished up last year, great little tractors.

001_zps2b879189.jpg

• Like 2

Coadster32

I'd agree also. a lot of interchangeable parts between the years as well, and not to hard to find. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Fun Engineer

I agree with boovuc I have a 856 857 commando 8 and I have fell in love with these models

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Horse Play

Between Toro, Glen Pettit, and Redo Your Horse decals it's pretty easy to restore a short frame WH.  

JackC

I would recommend the hydro version since the little guy's legs may not reach the clutch peddle for awhile and you will want to get him in the drivers seat as soon as possible.

The 1966 hydro model is 876. 8 is the hp, 7 is hydro, and 6 is 1966.  The 1965 875 was the first hydro and may have more collector value.

Martin

My son Kent loves driving around on his 875. We built this one together last year......

post-4321-0-68876500-1394657191_thumb.jp

• Like 2

stevasaurus

If you are looking for a Round Hood...look for a 702...1962...lots of them around.  It's not an auto-matic though...have to be able to reach the pedals.  :)

2008_0723roundhood70219620005.jpg

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

bmsgaffer

If you are looking for a Round Hood...look for a 702...1962...lots of them around.  It's not an auto-matic though...have to be able to reach the pedals.  :)

I'm on the fence about the automatic anyways. I would rather have him be able to reach the pedals before he drives it. I will want him to be able to hit the brake even on the auto, and have a place to put his feet so they don't dangle.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

squonk

Where's the pic of your "booster" seat?  :teasing-poke:

TT

A common misconception.....

The distance between the transaxle mounting surface at the back of the frame to the (front) footrest bar is around 20-21 inches on short, medium, and long frame garden tractors. The longer wheelbase comes from adding to the frame length ahead of the footrest bar, offering more engine mounting space.

Only my opinion, but I believe fully-protected rear tires and safety switches should be requirements when choosing a tractor for an inexperienced youngster. A 1972 Commando 800 or 1973 8 / 4 speed would make a good "entry-level" Kohler-powered GT ~ and a vertical shaft lawn tractor would also offer the same safeguards and easier-on-the-wallet cost.

The early automatic tractors are too quirky and unpredictable (even for some adults :huh: ) and should be avoided if possible.

• Like 3

slammer302

I've noticed a lot of people think my lawn ranger was made for kids but the foot rest are just as far away as any other wheel horse I've road

bmsgaffer

I knew the foot rests would be about the same length otherwise adults couldn't use them. I just like the idea of the "smaller" tractor in general. But thanks for the advice I will definitely look into ones with safety features. (or add them myself)

sorekiwi

I'd like to second Terry's opinion above about a tractor with footboards for a child.

My Lawn Ranger was built for my daughter and she does drive it sometimes.  But the lack of floorboards scares the hell out of me.  I don't want to put some on the tractor, so I prefer her to drive one of the newer tractors. 

Her clutch control is awful even after a couple of years, but her mothers was too so I put that down to genetics!

• Like 2

boovuc

TT does make a good point on safety switches and young riders. If your youngster isn't mowing and just putting along, that isn't too much of an issue. Mowing on a WH without safety switches for a kid let alone some adults I know is an issue. 

When we were kids, it wasn't a liability society we are in today. (As in "there is an attorney behind every tree"). I still think the 867 is a good starter for a project. If you intend on having a kid mow, maybe the Commandos or early C series are the way to go. These GT tractors have a much bigger pick in parts and implements than the short frames/round hoods. It is all in what you want to do and how much you think you can convey in education and trust in your kids when using the tractor. They aren't toys. (Until you become an adult)! :)  

PS....They are wider tires on my 867 than what would have come on it originally.

ericj

i started my kids out on a C120 auto. long stick hydro is easy for the kids to reach have foot rest and at least some safeties. i personally don't let my kids mow til they can prove to me that they can handle the tractor. i let them drive it for a couple of years before i cut them loose. then when i do i give close supervision the 1st couple of times. it just ain't worth them getting hurt on or losing their life. all i'm saying is be careful and good luck

eric j  

TT

The safety switches I am referring to are for the starter circuit ~ mainly a clutch pedal switch.

Unintentional PTO engagement isn't good for innocent bystanders and I have yet to see anything older with sufficient PTO braking ability to instantly stop rotating blades on a mower, so why take a chance? My son had his own tractor at 6 years old and although the mower deck was still attached, the drive belt was removed.

They'll have plenty of time to mow when they get older - and it's a lot easier if they have all of their appendages. :thumbs2:

Don't forget adequate guarding of the exhaust system.

AMC RULES
post-3498-0-67677900-1334497451_thumb.jp

Commando Eights are another to consider.

Edited by AMC RULES

Martin

good points made about the lack of running boards on early tractors. also the early autos do have their issues. i am aware and cautious to the early sundstrands and Kent understands what happens when they take off. i am comfortable with him operating the tractor out of my sight as he has had plenty of seat time to understand how to start it and operate it. 

He is more comfortable with his than using any of my stick tractors, running boards or not. once again, being familiar with how the tractor operates and what he needs to do to use it. 

I feel more comfortable with him on his tractor than running around on any of my later twin/eaton tractors as the 875 ground speed is less. He is 13, I'm not sure i would feel the same about him riding around on his own remembering back to when he was 9-10 years old. I guess it depends on the child as well......

oaktown1987

875 all the way