JaysHorse

Good or bad deal????

JaysHorse

This machine is new to me. I am curious of the deal I got. I picked up a 1988 518h with 42" snow blower, 42" deck, chains, wheel weights, and electric lift option from the dealer with 1400hrs for $550. Runs great and doesn't skip a beat. Got all the original manuals and records. Good or bad deal?

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

Sounds like a great deal to me. Hours are high, but on most of the older machines there are no hour meters so theres no telling how many hours are on them.

As long as it runs good and looks decent i think you did well. Especially with all those attachments!

Just watch your hydro system. Thats an Eaton 700 which is not AS durable as the 1100 in the 520 , 400 or C series but should still last you a while if properly maintained.

If you eventually wear it out you can do a full swap from a 520H or 400A series without too much headache and get a hydraulic lift as well.

Edited by bmsgaffer

slammer302

Sounds like you did good

JaysHorse

I'm hoping it lasts me awhile and mows good so I can unload the green machine! I hate that the 518 didn't come with the 1100. I'm hoping to do a tare down freshen up the paint.

Edited by JaysHorse

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Jay, best of luck, sounds good. Dont forget ,,,,,, :wwp:            Glenn :)

• Like 1

KC9KAS

:WRS:  I think you got a very good deal, but :wwp:

• Like 1

546cowboy

Heck of a deal but :wwp::text-worthless:

• Like 1

JaysHorse

Good to hear! I got a storm coming tomorrow here in buffalo, ny so after I'm done with snow removal I get on the pics!

953 nut

:text-bravo: 1400 hours may sound like a lot, but that works out to about one hour a week considering the age. The parts and peices that came with it would cost $ 550, so you got a great free :wh: .  :woohoo: 

• Like 1

JaysHorse

I got about 14" of snow today. I didn't get the chance to get snap shots. Along with the storm I had to take my wife in for the birth of our daughter! I am gonna try and blow some snow in the morning and get those photos I said I would take.

Ed Kennell

:auto-rally:  Yikes, you didn't take her to the hospital on the 518 ...did you ?    :huhs:

• Like 2

JaysHorse

The thought did cross my mind but not sure she would have gone for it. Besides I think the onan wouldn't find enough gas stations. Lol

JaysHorse
post-12658-0-28254500-1394683875_thumb.jpost-12658-0-65818700-1394683901_thumb.jpost-12658-0-45016700-1394683926.jpgpost-12658-0-73001900-1394683940.jpg what I got so far.
  • Like 1

Ken B

You did pretty good I'd say...

• Like 1

JaysHorse

As I said I got hopes to tare her down and give her a bit of a makeover. Anyone ever try rerouting the exhaust to go down and back?

bmsgaffer

As I said I got hopes to tare her down and give her a bit of a makeover. Anyone ever try rerouting the exhaust to go down and back?

Back to the back of the tractor?

I dont know anywhere you could run it that would not interfere with the deck lifting or other accessory.

JaysHorse

I was hoping out the back yes. Can I just extend it off the output of the muffler? Would that affect back pressure or anything? Maybe even a side pipe under the foot rest.

Edited by JaysHorse

The Walri

Jays Horse - congrats on the birth of your daughter!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

SNYFIX

It happens where someone left the key on accumilating the hours or a defective hour meter perhaps --

• Like 1

jackhammer

Congrats for the birth of your daughter... Thats a  good looking tractor.  Welcome to RedSquare

• Like 1

JaysHorse

Ya know I was wondering about that. The guy said the battery goes dead but I've yet to have it die. I do know that the ignition switch is messed up. Anyone got a donor ign switch? Lol

ronwh

JaysHorse

Congrats on the birth of your daughter, please tell us more about her.  How is mother and daughter doing?

Ron

JaysHorse

They are both doing great! She is a bit sore from a c section but hopefully coming home tomorrow. We were both thrilled that our 16mo old was really good with her. Thinking it's our last child but it's nice that we have one of each and all are healthy. Just amazing that something so great grows inside of someone. We are finally filling our bigger house that we bought a year and a half ago. Life is good!

• Like 1

SNYFIX

Ya know I was wondering about that. The guy said the battery goes dead but I've yet to have it die. I do know that the ignition switch is messed up. Anyone got a donor ign switch? Lol

That bad starter switch could cause the hours to accumilate because the system is always on --

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

They are both doing great! She is a bit sore from a c section but hopefully coming home tomorrow. We were both thrilled that our 16mo old was really good with her. Thinking it's our last child but it's nice that we have one of each and all are healthy. Just amazing that something so great grows inside of someone. We are finally filling our bigger house that we bought a year and a half ago. Life is good!

Congrats from :rs:  on both new additions to your family.

• Like 1