Sign in to follow this  
eibbed

mower deck belt replacement and height adjustment

eibbed

This is the first time I have tried to mow with my 856 so I sharpened the blades and attached the deck the best I could figure out. I started cutting the grass and the pulley immediately came off the motor. I reattached it and started to cut the grass again when one of the belts broke on the deck, and the other is so loose it wasn't turning the blades, so I quit for the day.

I have what I believe to be a 32" mower deck SR # 13965. and would like to replace both belts with new ones.

1. I would like to know what size belts I need, and where I can find them.

2. I would also like to know how on earth you replace them.

3. I have screwed the deck lift bar to its lowest level and the rear wheels on the

deck are still at least two inches friom touching the ground. What should I do

to keep the rear of the deck form dangling in the air and come back down to

earth?

I eagerly await for any help you can give me.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave

WheelHorse_of_course

You will see the mount has two rod-like pieces. If you look carefully you will see these are made of three pieces, with the front and back pieces threaded into the center tube-like piece.

These work like a turnbuckle. One piece has a normal right-hand thread and the other has left hand threads.

First you will need to break them loose. Give them a good dose of Kroil, PB Blaster, or Liquid wrench. Then tap with a hammer. Repeat this for a few days. Then use a pipe wrench to to break it loose (don't try to use the little pins to break it loose as they will snap :banghead: ).

Once both are broken loose simply rotate in the expanding direction till the come apart. Now you can get the belts on.

TIP: Before you put it back together coat the threaded areas with some anti-seized grease.

Be sure to remove the two covers on the deck and remove all the old dried grease on the gears. Now grease it, not to much (should get a pump or 2 every 10 hours).

Now, about the pulley. You are saying the engine pulley came off, is that correct? This has a set screw. Make sure the key is present. Align the pulley properly and then tighten the set screw(s).

While you have the deck off the machine, check the blades and sharpen them if needed. Be sure to check balance and correct if necessary.

Have fun

:USA: