rockerpeople

1996 Toro/Wheel Horse Starter Removal

rockerpeople

I have a 1996 Toro/Wheel horse that the starter spins on when trying to start it. It eventually catches and starts but getting worse. I started to take the starter off to take it and get it rebuilt and I am stumped. Is there a trick to getting it off? If I take the bracket loose from the engine, will the starter just come out? Oil tube seems to be in the way too. Does it just lift out? Don't wanna tear anything up.  I am not too mechanically inclined but this didn't look too bad. I got this mower from the estate of an older gentleman who passed. 1000 hours and it looks and runs really good. Tiller and cart came with it for $800. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks! Terry 

post-12654-0-19024100-1394369786.jpg

WH nut

What motor, if its a 1 lung Magnum it has through bolts from the back of the starter case to the bearing plate

Also the pinion is just dirty, spray good with  carb cleaner should do the trick

Edited by WH nut

Hodge71

Terry it would definitely help to know what model tractor you are dealing with and possibly a better picture. In 1996 it could be a Kohler single or an Onan twin. Your picture is very small and doesn't show the engine very well...either that or maybe my eyes are getting old. From squinting Im leaning toward Kohler. I can almost make out the writing on the engine which is normal for a Kohler. That plus you state that the dipstick tube is in the way and on an Onan, the starter is nowhere near the dipstick tube. The starter will just come out if you pull the 2 bolts and you shouldn't have to touch the dipstick tube. your encryption also sounds like its just dirty. My C-160 was doing the same thing last year and I pulled it out, cleaned the bendix with brake cleaner and lubed it with some graphite. hasn't acted up since. Good luck and let us know how you make out.....oh and

:WRS:  

Edited by hodge71

squonk

Looks like a Cole-Air to me too and my eyes are worse than yours!  :)

rockerpeople

Hello again, It is a Kohler 8hp. The starter sets on a bracket that is bolted to the block (I think) with 2 bolts. Does the starter come out bracket and all? I will get a photo if this doesn't help. Thanks for all the replies! Terry 

WH nut

Sounds like a K series, remove bolts and starter

TT

Are you sure it's not a 12 or 14hp? :eusa-whistle:

This might help:

rockerpeople

Crap, Sorry about that, it is a 14 hp. 

rockerpeople

post-12654-0-71804500-1394377358.jpgpost-12654-0-62243200-1394377363.jpg

Here are a couple photos of the starter and the bolts in the bracket. 

dennist

Remove engine/flywheel tin, it will come right out.

Sorry, looks like in Terry and Martin's post I must stand corrected...definitely will have to look closer when I go out today.

Edited by dennist

Martin

Are you sure it's not a 12 or 14hp? :eusa-whistle:

This might help:

wow, i never realized the magnum starter removal was this complicated.......

The Magnum starter is held to the bearing plate by the long bolts on the opposite end.

Link to service manual: http://www.asberry.n...s/TP-2203-A.pdf

Section 10A, page 4

You have to remove the dipstick tube (three screws threaded into engine block at bottom casting) and removal of the drive belt cover is extremely helpful but not a necessity - depending on your patience and the contents of your toolbox.

The blower housing does not need to be removed from the engine.

makes the starter removal (gear) for the k series seem like a summers day picnic. 2 bolts and some wiring......

AMC RULES

Oooph...sounds like a workout.

JC 1965

Hello and  :WRS:

squonk

Sometimes the simplest sounding/looking things can be a PITA! I replaced the fuel lines on Ezra yesterday. He has one of those fuel shutoff valves that go through the steering tower. I couldn't figure out how to get the knob off of it to get it out of the tower. Not much room for stiff and not so nimble fingers to get at the clamps but it is done. :helmet:

rockerpeople

post-12654-0-36743200-1394389953_thumb.gSo, take dipstick tube out, remove 2 long bolts that hold starter to the housing, clean with carb cleaner, put a little graphite on the bendix? Which is the bendix according to this photo? 

rockerpeople

Here is dipstick detail. Does adapter tube just twist out? I can't find a set screw anywhere and detail doesn't show one.  

post-12654-0-52809900-1394390292_thumb.g

rockerpeople

Oh boy! Take off dipstick assembly, hopefully don't ruin gasket, little tiny screws, all tools out on floor, old eyes. Gonna be fun. 

Last question; can this cleaning be done without removing starter? 

can whlvr

don't let the starter come apart when you pull it off the motor,the 2 long bolts are the only thing holding it together,or then you will need to learn how to get the brushes in

• Like 3

WH nut

Oh boy! Take off dipstick assembly, hopefully don't ruin gasket, little tiny screws, all tools out on floor, old eyes. Gonna be fun. 

Last question; can this cleaning be done without removing starter? 

Sure can, use the straw on your carb or brake clean and spray away, Don't use WD40 or a wet lube or you will have more trouble with dirt and grass build up

rockerpeople

Thanks! I pulled the cover loose and the flywheel and starter gears are easily accessed. Question; just pull the gear forward and spray carb cleaner into starter?

WH nut

Thanks! I pulled the cover loose and the flywheel and starter gears are easily accessed. Question; just pull the gear forward and spray carb cleaner into starter?

Just move the started gear back and forth and clean the shaft. While you are there, make sure the shaft bushing is good.

Don1977

Check to see that the spring is not broken.

rockerpeople

Can I tell if spring is broken without removing starter?

sadixon49

For those who haven't figured it out, he has a 96 314-8 with a Kohler M-14. I sent him here from MTF. MTF is very nice all brand forum but it is, shall I say, a little less active for Wheel Horse than RedSquare. He seems to have found the help he needs here. Thanks to all.

steve

can whlvr

you don't have to spray the whole starter,just where the bendix spins,spray it and work it while spraying,you will feel it free up and spring back with no resistance,its been a while since I was in one,im pretty sure the gear can come off if needed to look at the spring,but usually it just needs cleaned and lubed,as mentioned use a dry graphite spray,ive got long screws that I put in the starter to hold it together,forgot to mention that earlier,then you can bench test it once cleaned and lubed,just to see it spin the gear and see it retract