Whmaverick

Sunstrand gasket help

Whmaverick

I recently followed the procedures shown on here to refurbish my C-160 auto trans pump and motor. I read many previous posts and downloaded the sunstrand manual. Trying to do a good job, I got it all back together with homemade gaskets from paper gasket material. Not wanting to use a sealant to contaminate the system, I put it together clean and dry. Tried it out and as soon as preasure built in the system oil sprayed past the gaskets. My question to anyone who has successfully done this is, what gasket material did you use and did you seal them with anything. Obviously my attempts at sourcing eom gaskets was not successful. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And thanks in advance for good solid advice. I am proud to be a supporting member of red square.

pfrederi

The thickness of the gasket maybe an issue.  Which one is leaking is it 83-3760 which is still around or 83-3850 NLA.  I can measure some thicknesses tomorrow if you tell me which one it is.  You were wise to not use RTV/silicone...however I have had good luck with aerosol Permatex Gasket sealant.  Sprays on red and tacky but will not get into your system.

Whmaverick

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure of the gasket numbers, bot both the motor housing gasket and the pump housing gasket leaked profusely once pressure built in the system. The gasket between the transaxle and the hydro unit is fine no pressure in that area. So the question is, since the two gaskets that are NLA, according to my local dealer, part tree and others on here, what is the correct gasket material, thickness and what is a safe sealant if any to use? Seems like an important piece of info that is left out of the documentations and discussions on any that I've found. But still the best forum on the net. Thanks for any further help, as this is my wife's favorite tractor and getting it back together would go along way with her and my collection illness, if you know what I mean.

Edited by Whmaverick

pfrederi

I am a bit confused.  I looked again at parts tree and RCPW both showed the motor gasket as available 83-3760 about $11. Also at Toro for $10.54. The 83-3850 pump gasket is NLA.  Are we talking about item 34 and item 67 ???

post-1023-0-40078900-1394543364_thumb.jp

Edited by pfrederi

Whmaverick

Not sure what RCPW is, so I looked again at parts tree and I can only get to the parts frame that shows the gasket that goes between the hydro unit and the trans axle. Don't need that one. So as not to confuse anyone, I'm asking for help. Cause when I click on 74' C-160 auto the list of components shows the Section for hydrostatic transmission, so I click on that and it only shows a limited list of parts including the gasket that goes between the hydro unit and the trans axle. Again dont need that one. I don't see anyway to get to a parts list for the hydro unit showing the exploded view that you show, with the two gaskets for the pump housing and the motor housing. I don't know why your dealer can get them but mine can't. But if your more Internet savey and or your local dealer is better than mine then maybe help me get the gaskets I need. And if you can't get them all then I guess I'm back to where I was before all this typing to get you unconfused. I still need to know what material, thickness and sealant if any that works for others that have successfully refurbed their hydro unit? Humbly asking for help, not to confuse anyone with technical what nots. So maybe some one can help me get two of the three gasket for the refurb, but I am still in need of the info I've been asking for so I can make the third gasket that is NLA. Whew, now I'm concussed, LOL

pfrederi

Sorry Replacement parts Commercial Warehouse www.rcpw.com  

The motor gasket is still available just type the part number 83-3760 into parts tree or Toro or RPCW.

The pump gasket is thicker than the motor gasket i measured it a .0185.  i am not an expert on types of gasket material but if you order a motor gasket you can see the type...just remember you need thicker for the pump (.0185)

I use Permatex High Tack spray.

I have put together 3 of these things...never had a leak at these gaskets...shaft seals yes manifold yes but not here. 

post-1023-0-73283400-1394629458_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-55729700-1394629475_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-72733900-1394629497_thumb.jp

Whmaverick

Thanks Paul, you've been super helpful. Gonna try it again, I'll let you know how it goes

Wheelhorsegt14
On 3/12/2014 at 8:05 AM, pfrederi said:

Sorry Replacement parts Commercial Warehouse www.rcpw.com  

The motor gasket is still available just type the part number 83-3760 into parts tree or Toro or RPCW.

The pump gasket is thicker than the motor gasket i measured it a .0185.  i am not an expert on types of gasket material but if you order a motor gasket you can see the type...just remember you need thicker for the pump (.0185)

I use Permatex High Tack spray.

I have put together 3 of these things...never had a leak at these gaskets...shaft seals yes manifold yes but not here. 

post-1023-0-73283400-1394629458_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-55729700-1394629475_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-72733900-1394629497_thumb.jp

You are the man I still hope they have some.