cleat

Cleaning and preserving tire chains

cleat

I have a set of tire chains on one of my 520's and they are quite rusty. Bead blasting them would work but would take forever.

post-11822-0-67999000-1394043519_thumb.j

What would be the best way to clean up then protect them ?

Cleat

rmaynard

Take your tractor for a ride in the sand, or a gravel road.

I leave my chains on year round. Running around the yard, pushing dirt, and just general use keeps them in pretty good shape.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

If this snow and ice ever leaves drag them down a gravel road.  Turn them over and do it again. Then drag them from the other end and flip again. Oil them up for the summer.

Garry

AMC RULES

E tank 'em.

• Like 2

daveoman1966

Chuk 'em into a gallon of used motor oil.

• Like 2

SNYFIX

Chains are a ""consumable"" item -- they do wear out so just use them and enjoy !!

(Kinda like the owners that painted the bottom of the trailer or put burlap in them to keep them nice). Just use them and if you desire, put a coat of paint on it but they're meant to be used ----

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Cleat, didnt someone make a post re paint and rust removal, I think it was soak the item in apple cider vinegar.

Someone else might pipe in on this. Btw, the 520 sure is lookin puuuuurty.

Glenn

thehorse

When I take mine off at the end of the season, I put them in a 50 cal. Ammo can with some rags. I the change the oil on the horse and pour about a quart in the can. Shut the lid and get them back out in the fall.

timo4352

I vote to say too much trouble to bead blast them or anything like that. A ride on a dry gravel road followed by soaking in the off season in oil, diesel , kerosene, would be my choice. Or drag them around on the beach all summer behind your 4 wheeler while you're having fun.

woodchuckfarmer

I hang them in the shed.

• Like 2

wallfish

Or ,you could toss those rough rider 4 links and get some new 2 linkers. Much nicer ride!

• Like 1

KC9KAS

The chains I remove, I dip into a bucket of used motor oil and hange them up so they drain.....over the used oil bucket.

The chains I used on agriculture tractor tires were reall BIG & heavy, so I had to use the loader to lift them to drain!

Hodge71

Im not sure why exactly you want shiny tire chains but if you're that dead set on them build an E-tank and chuck them in it for a couple days. The rust will be gone when you take them out. Just letting you know..they will rust pretty much immediately after you remove them so oil them almost immediately. Then next year they will be shiny for about 15 minutes while you plow..... 

cleat

The chains don't need to look perfect, just better. A good soak in oil after running around the yard and driveway may be just the ticket.

These chains are worn about half way through in spots so a new set may well be in the books in the next couple of years. I will look to upgrade at that time.

Thanks for all your input, Cleat

RMCIII

It's a chain!!! A chain is supposed to have a rusty look. Take them off, hang them up, spray some chain lube on them, or throw them into a tank with oil, and hang them back up. No need to overthink this one.... :eusa-think: Sorry but that is the farmer in me coming out. Just like disc blades. They get rusty because they get used, then sit in the elements with exposed metal. When they wear far enough change them, nothing hard about that. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Rob

• Like 1

Red-Bovine

For twenty years all we ever did was take them off at the end of the season and hang them up. They never got rusty and aren't all oily when we need to put them back on.

Red

• Like 1

Forest Road

I run heavy duty 2 link chains w X pattern. Rinse them off in the spring w the garden hose. Hang on the wall and then spray w WD40. Motor oil is way to messy for me.

pfrederi

Ammo can and a spritz of WD-40 keeps them looking good.  For my big tractor chains 5 gal bucket and some wd 40..

pfrederi

Chains are a ""consumable"" item -- they do wear out so just use them and enjoy !!

(Kinda like the owners that painted the bottom of the trailer or put burlap in them to keep them nice). Just use them and if you desire, put a coat of paint on it but they're meant to be used ----

The chains on my L107 are originally from my Father who used them on his cars back in the 1950s. I made them in to 2 link chains and shortened them a bit. They still look pretty good and after 60 years I am not sure they qualify as "Consumables"

post-1023-0-36542200-1394120456_thumb.jp

Fishroe

When I bought mine used they were pretty rusty.  Took them to work and sand blasted  brought them home and  sprayed 2 coats of paint.  from here on out it will be what the rest of the guys are doing   OIL

dandan111

I keep them hung up in a nice dry spot. I don't oil them. They look pretty good after 14 years.

shorts

If you have to preserve them, pressure wash them and let them dry then dunk them in a can of aluminum paint and hang them up to dry until next fall

cleat

I bought a new set of 2 link chains on ebay for $59.49 and free shipping. I will see if my old ones are worth anything to sell.

I will keep the new ones clean and dry and they should be fine.

The original ones are worn and very rusty due to the salt spreader being mounted on the back of the tractor.

The original footrests and rear fender rusted through and were replaced shortly before they stopped using it and bought a new Cub.

This was at my place of work.

Thanks for all the input and the idea to just upgrade to a 2 link set.

Cleat

RMCIII

I bought a new set of 2 link chains on ebay for $59.49 and free shipping. I will see if my old ones are worth anything to sell.

I will keep the new ones clean and dry and they should be fine.

The original ones are worn and very rusty due to the salt spreader being mounted on the back of the tractor.

The original footrests and rear fender rusted through and were replaced shortly before they stopped using it and bought a new Cub.

This was at my place of work.

Thanks for all the input and the idea to just upgrade to a 2 link set.

Cleat

So I take it then that you will not be using them at all? "CLEAN AND DRY" :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl: , that is funny...I guess they would make a nice wall mural if you know how to do that type of art work....Just sayin' clean and dry when it comes to snow and chains, is like sayin' I am going to work on my tractor and not get "dirty". :handgestures-thumbupright: . Sorry man, just had to say something, that is funny!

• Like 2

Hodge71

:ROTF:  :hilarious:  :text-yeahthat:  :shock:

• Like 2