wheelhorse-c-161-1979

DOES AN ARK LOADER FROM A D180 FIT A C161?

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

HI, I have a 1979 Wheel Horse C161. Can anyone tell me if an ARK loader that's on a D180 would fit my C161? 
If so, would it need any modifications?

Or which specific Ark loader model would fit my C161.

Thank you so much for your help.

I love my Wheel Horse. With my thrower attachment I cleared my one mile rural road through all the snow storms this past winter. Worked like a charm!

Best,

Jack

Sparky

I'm not a loader expert, but I'm sure the sub-frames will be different.

:WRS:

Mike.........

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Thanks for you reply.  Do you know how I can find out which Ark loader would fit my C161? Is it listed somewhere on this site?  The guy who has the loader from a D180 was under the impression that it was one Ark loader model for all the Wheel Horses.

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Thanks for that manual. It is helpful I think :)?  I'm still not sure the manual tells me if an Ark 550 will fit a C161. My C161 is from 1979 and the manual talks about early 70's manuals.
Any ideas? 

racin_ny

It says it will fit 1974 C series. Take a look around the site and see how close that is to the tractor that you have.

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Thanks for that tip. I cant seem to know what look for between a 74 and 79 that would tell me if it would fit.

Isn't there a manual that says  the Ark 550 will fit_____  these models?

THere's got to be a place or something in print somewhere that says the Ark 550 is compatible with the following models.. And I need to find out if a Ark 550 would fit a 1979 C-161. :)

I did find a post that seems to indicate that it might work. 

But still I'm not sure.

Will keep drilling for an answer. Thanks again for helping!:))

Best,

Jack

Dieselcowboy

Here is my ark 550 loader. It was factory for a D series. I put it on my C160.  I made my own sub frame, front mount and pump mount. Works like a charm. I was a little disappointed with the handling on a c series and ended up moving it over to a 520. Made a huge difference. SO is it made for this or that? The Ark 550 was factory mounted on several brands of tractors. All depends on the sub frame. I'd ****** up any chance to get a loader and worry about mounting it when you get it home. There is lots of loader information here on RS. about mounting and fabing .

• Like 1

Kelly

I can say the loader will fit, IF you have the correct subframe, but it will NOT fit with the D subframe, but if the deal is right buy it. 

• Like 1

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Good morning.  Thanks to all for your help. This is a terrific forum.  As I slept on your answers I dreamt up a couple more questions?

How much would a working Ark loader 550 go for?  And if I can't get one, are there any "after market" products that would fit my C161? What should I expect to pay for them?

Thanks.

Btw.. disappointed this morning as the snow storm missed us. Won't be revving up the snowthrower. 

Jack

Edited by wheelhorse-c-161-1979

MalMac

The price of Loaders are all over the place. Like anything else it depends on condition. The other Loaders out there right now If you can find one would be a Kwik-Way. I myself like the Ark much better. I believe like I told you it is better built. There are plans out there for building your own if you are so incline. If you have a chance at a Ark I would do that. Sub Frames for the C's are pretty simple to build or have built. The pump is another matter but there are a lot of members on here that have over come that problem that can help you out. Again if I were you I would grab the Ark, after that the rest is down hill.

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Thanks. I agree. Would rather avoid the made in china junk.  And what would be ball park for a working one, without getting hosed (no hydraulic pun intended)?

Dieselcowboy

from what I have seen people talking about on pricing of arks is between 750 and 1500. I know there are cheaper ones but finding them.... is something else.

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Hey Dieselcowboy, Thanks for the giving me a starting point reference.  Never had a loader before :)   But then again, I don't know how I ever lived without my C-161 and it's attachments! LOL

MalMac

I think Dieselcowboy got it right on the prices, a lot of the time you just won't be able to buy just the loader. It will be tractor and all. Not saying you can't but don't be surprised if that's the way you will have to obtain one. So with that said you will have to do your home work on what the tractor is worth with the loader on it. When I got mine it was on a tractor with a blown motor. That helped take the tractor out of the equation but the seller did not want that tractor around but at the same time thought is was worth way more than it was.

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Thanks for the heads up. So basically I guess then I'm looking at least $2500 bucks with a D series tractor if I want working condition.:)

Dieselcowboy

$2500 or a $30,000 back surgery

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Doubtfully covered under odisastercare!!!

iicap

I just finished mounting an Ark 500 onto a C-81 which should be the same frame set up as your C-161, just sheet metal difference. I stand corrected on last statement if I'm wrong. The loader came off an Allis Chalmers 314. I'll be brief here but will elaborate more if you wish. It has a full subframe just like our WH snow plow subframe, just a bit heavier.  THe AC broke the rear axel housing (nothing to do with the loader) and I wanted it on the WH for many reasons. As others have stated if you can find a loader with a full lenght subframe you'll have half the battle won putting it on your C-161.