Kennedy

2" receiver question

Kennedy

Those of you with the 2" receivers can you run a tiller with it attached? I am considering getting one,  but I am one of those unfortunate gents that has a one horse garage. I am working on correcting this.  I really wouldn't want to have to take off the receiver to use the tiller.

Thanks Mark

can whlvr

not with mine,thats why I have 5-6 runners at one time

Kennedy

Thanks I guess I will wait until I find another tractor.

Mark

smoreau

It is not cost effective to make this hitch easily removable for tiller instillation.  I kind of had a plan to make one that was held in with quick pins, but the cost of the hitch would cost to much and the strength of the hitch would be computerized too much in our opinion. I did make a short stubby hitch as a trial with my tiller, but it would only lift the tiller about 1/2' off the ground when it would hit the receiver. There are several different styles of the tiller and we are not going through the trouble of making a bunch of different designs of this hitch that only takes less then 5 min to remove so you can install your tiller. 

Kennedy

I completely understand. I was just hoping that it would, since I currently only have one wheel horse. And here lately all the ones I have seen in my area have been $900+ with only a mower deck or snowplow.  I want one but until I get a second tractor it is not practical for me.

Thanks

Mark

doc724

Not only can you not run a tiller with the receiver hitch installed, you also have to take off the standard rear hitch as it is in the way of the tiller.  Installing a tiller is a significant effort that takes at least 30 minutes-especially when you only do it a few times a season.  BTW, if you find a used tiller, make sure your get ALL the parts (PTO pulleys, rear rock shaft, lift cable and cable guide, lift spring and the drive belt).  I was able to get everything when I bought mine except the lift spring and the drive belt and they together cost in excess of $50

Kennedy

Thanks, I did not think about the standard hitch being in the way also. I already have a tiller and I got everything with it except the rear rockshaft, cable,cable guide and lift spring. I was hoping I could have a mount welded on the 2" receiver to attach a 12v linear actuator for power lift. I guess I will just keep hunting for another tractor. Any tips from any one at hiding tractors in the garage from the wife? I could try to convince her she needs one. haha

Thanks

Mark

KohlerJohn

Why not add another mount for the tiller under the receiver hitch and use a longer belt?  With a bit of finesse on the belt run it will work.  I did it and left the original mount in place under the axle for the snow plow blade.

John

Kennedy

John do you have any pictures of your set up? I am relatively new to wheel horse and am having difficulty visualizing what you are describing.

Thanks

Mark

KohlerJohn

I will try to take and send a picture.  Basically, I made the receiver hitch from a pickup hitch.  I then attached the latches for the snowplow/tiller hitch to the arms of the hitch for the receiver.  I kept the height from the ground of the tiller latches about the same as if it was on the axle as originally planned.  This allowed me to move the attachment point of the tiller to the rear several inches which necessitated a longer belt.  The drive and idler from the tractor remained the same. 

I have no idea why the posting is in such small type and don't know what that will do to an attached picture.  Send me your direct email and I will try to send the picture that way.

John

• Like 2

bk-scouter

Kohler John, I also would be interested in those pictures too.  A PM has been sent to you.

Thanks for sharing, and maybe we can get those pictures put up in this post.

-BK 

Kennedy

Kohler John PM sent.

Thanks

Mark

Kennedy

Rearhitch_zps5ac8b3db.jpg

This is Kohler Johns rear hitch setup. I uploaded this picture for him.

• Like 2