chris11

Building a Pulling engine

chris11

Hello all, A lot of you guys know I have been sick. I have been Battling cancer and been doing good with it. Its giving me a chance to think how short life is. So I Want to build a Hot engine for a project im working on. I was going to build a k341 Kohler, started picking up some parts. Like everything I do for some reason I have to go over board. Well I started with a stock block. Picked up a used crank stroked to 3.75. Then I find out the engine I wanted to build you cant use stroked crank, and the max bore size was only .030 bigger then stock. The more I looking into it I wanted MORE. So I have collected some really nice bunch of parts to play with. Im not using the stock block. I picked up a J2 after market block Very HD. 10,000 all day   Billet cam with a .625 lift, billet rod, and piston. The stock size was 3.75 bore. The new bore is 4.125 and I have still more sizes I can do. The crank I found out wasn't as good. so I ended up buying new, Billet crank . 3.75 stroke. The engine building thing is so many ways that guys do thing , no one will tell you anything, as far as port size angles any thing. The block I have I have to machine ports lifter holes center lines aren't the same as stock. so im working everything thing out 3 time before I do anything. here's some pictures of the parts I have so far.

2014-02-25120015_zps093f8da0.jpg

2014-02-25120317_zps1efc023d.jpg

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:  WOW! Beefy block... 

looks like it'll pull like a beast, once completed. 

Nice to see you posting again Chris.  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 2

Coadster32

Didn't know about your battle, but great to hear you're chins up, and doing good. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Like all of the other builds I have seen of yours, This one's looking top notch as well. :bow-blue:

• Like 1

baerpath

Good times ahead Chris !  

• Like 1

slammer302

I love the cam!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Flatheadpuller

Chris not sure your machining capabilities but I know a couple guys that can help you if your interested. I also know of a complete 50.5 that is in the 71-73hp range on alcohol that is for sale. Really good price. far less then what your going to have into what you have to make 70hp.

• Like 1

chris11

I can machine Anything. And I never say no for help. pm sent

• Like 1

chris11

Well I have tested crank fit and got the end play I need. Next is test fitting the cam. setting cam ever in there I have to grind a little spot on the block opening. I always try taking from the block and not the parts. Now cam and crank fit . I can make the side shim I need for cam centering in the crank . Because of the stroke the rod has to be right in the middle.

1393619137704_zps1cdff79c.jpg

chris11

Next step is going to be setting up to bore block and cut rod reliefs at bottom of cylinder. You can see it this picture that I have to locate where lifters have to be centered in the cam shaft lobes. But need to test rod into block to make sure rod isn't going to hit lifters.

1393619151259_zps0a2c1c8f.jpg

Edited by chris11
  • Like 1

Deere Hunter

Chris, You will probably have to clearance one of the crank throws also to clear one of the cam lobes. Not sure which one, its been a while since I had the pan off my Pro/Super. Was the cam matched with the stroke you are running? I have heard with longer strokes it limits the lift of cam you can run, because of the clearance issues.

Edited by Deere Hunter
  • Like 1

chris11

I had him make the cam to my stroke. Im going to bolt the weights on and check. Didn't do much with it today. I am using 1.5 lifters so I know they have to be cleared.

• Like 1

chris11

Heres a few more parts.Big valves and bigger base lifters for the cam.

2014-02-25120251_zps46b83776.jpg

• Like 1

Jim_M

What size valves do you have? The exhaust valve looks small but maybe it's an illusion.

• Like 1

chris11

2.00 and 1.625

Jim_M

By today's standards that's a little small. I'm working one one now for a friend. I had to offset the valves to get them to clear each other. Only about 3/4 of the valve stem sits on the tappet adjusters with the amount of offset they had to have to make them fit. I plan to modify the tops of the adjusters so the whole stem hits it before I go too much further. He had a 2.025 intake and a 1.650 exhaust and they weren't big enough.

Edited by Jim_M
  • Like 1

chris11

So how big of a valve are you putting in?

• Like 1

Jim_M

You know the drill....If I tell you, I'll have to kill you.

• Like 1

chris11

Im good with that.

• Like 1

baerpath

Jim You gonna be at Talmadge this weekend ?

• Like 1

Jim_M

No, I've been so busy working on everybody elses stuff that one of mine is still in pieces. I hope to finish it up this weekend.

• Like 1

VinsRJ

Chris, I want you to put that thing on a RJ

• Like 1

chris11

This engine is so heavy it think it would break frame on a rj. wish it was aluminum. But don't get me thinking. Monday ill be starting machine work so ill have some pictures to post. I have so many projects I want to get done. I have been working on a panzer restore, Going over a Pulling chassis. complete over haul. Also getting the wheelhorse up and pulling this year.

• Like 1

Jim_M

Both of mine are back together and ready to go! I have to finish my friend's engine and then it's back to all the things that my wife has been "requesting" for the past few weeks.

• Like 2

chris11

Way to keep the points up Jim

• Like 1

chris11

Im going back wards,The engine is all good. Its the tractor I got to put it in. What a mess. Im very picky when it comes to building something. And this this is bad. Im having some rails bent up

• Like 1