Sign in to follow this  
bell

Bell's 1045

bell

Well, here is my 1045... It has had a ROUGH life, but now it's time to make it "new" again.

I'm not going overboard on making it TOTALLY correct, but I want it to appear to be correct for the most part.

It was given to me by my Grandpa and I want to make him proud....

1045ALIVE%21_001.jpg

1045_002.jpg

1045_001.jpg

1045_003.jpg

1045_005.jpg

1045_008.jpg

bell

I made a trip to Coatesville to visit with Mike (sorekiwi) and he hooked me up with some MUCH NEEDED parts! Thanks again Mike!

1045005.jpg

bell

Today, I made a cart so I can roll it around... and started the teardown.

1045001.jpg

1045002.jpg

1045003.jpg

1045004.jpg

The good thing is that it runs BEAUTIFULLY and the engine will only need some new gaskets, a good cleaning and paint.

That's all for now...

Brian1045

I'm glad you are getting started on your restore. Hopefully if one of us runs into a problem, the other one will know the answer.

One thing though, don't you dare pass me up! :banghead:

BTW, Our deck assmebly, steering wheels, dashboard area, and throttle/choke setups are totally different from each others. :USA:

Keep up the good work!

bell

I'm glad you are getting started on your restore. Hopefully if one of us runs into a problem, the other one will know the answer.

One thing though, don't you dare pass me up! :banghead:

BTW, Our decks assmebly, steering wheels, dashboard area, and throttle/choke setups are totally different from each others. :USA:

Keep up the good work!

Me too... I'm glad to be starting on it....

Don't worry about me passing you up.... I still have a LOT of the correct parts to find... lol

Somebody put a different steering wheel/ dash and deck on it over the years....

I'm not too worried about the deck, this one will probably never have a deck on it anyhow.... BUT, the dash and steering wheel I MUST find.

Kelly

I see you have a lift handle, in your pile of new to you stuff, make sure you use your old one, or that the one you got is right, the 1045's used one that is angled back to clear the S/G cover when in the down position.

Take lots of pic's

bell

I see you have a lift handle, in your pile of new to you stuff, make sure you use your old one, or that the one you got is right, the 1045's used one that is angled back to clear the S/G cover when in the down position.

Take lots of pic's

That's good to know... Thanks!

bell

Here are a couple of current pics...

The frame is totally stripped, with the exception of the clutch idler pulley/ mechanism...... One stubborn roll pin... lol

miscpics007.jpg

miscpics008.jpg

Kelly

I was out taking pic's for you and I remembered something you might not have noticed the lower dash that you need to replace, you will have to do a small mod. to it, where the belt guard mounts on the 1045's they made the lip stick out farther to mount the guard, everything is moved to the right to clear the belt, drive pulley, clutch arm, belt guard tabs on the frame, ect.....

Here's a pic of my 1045, and my 552

100_0768.jpg

100_0769.jpg

I also posted pic's of the belt guard in your want ad

bell

FANTASTIC! Thank you! :banghead:

bell

A little update on the 1045...

I've been gathering parts for the rebirth for the past couple months...

I now have just about everything I need except for the 2-spoke steering wheel... I hate to pay $75-$100 for one. :thumbs: Also, since I don't have the original front tires, I think I'm going to buy a new set of tires... 3-ribs in the front and AGs out back... :whistle:

I SCORED this fuel tank, cap and strap on ebay last week... It is in EXCELLENT shape. :dunno:

500special_010.jpg

And I got my dash decal from vinylguy... THANKS for making such a GREAT product TD! EXCELLENT CRAFTSMANSHIP! :lol:

500special_011.jpg

Look for more updates in the coming months... I don't really get much done in the "dead" of winter... The last few months of winter is go time for me. Something about taking 3 hours to warm the shop just turns me off. :whistle:

KyBlue

Cool progress...I'll be lookin for more updates.

bell

Today, I picked up a pair of 23x8.50-12 Carlisle TRU-POWER AGs from Jim (rustyoldjunk)... They are in EXCELLENT shape! Thanks again Jim!

aircleaner_001.jpg

Then, I spent all afternoon and evening cleaning out the shop... WOW, what a mess. :whistle:

After I got all my tools put away, I heard the slot hitch on the 1045 transmission "calling out my name"... I have been soaking it for MONTHS with penetrating oil. Someone had BEAT the ends (both) of the pin and mushroomed them out... I started by cutting one of the "mushrooms" off flush with the hitch. After a little heat/ penetrating spray/ heat/ penetrating spray/ heat, I was able to drive the pin out. WHAT A RELIEF! :thumbs:

aircleaner_003.jpg

Then I did a partial mockup so that I can fit the belt guard this weekend. Someone had cut the 2 mounting tabs off of the frame, so I have to make new ones and weld them in the proper place...

aircleaner_004.jpg

TJ

Then I did a partial mockup so that I can fit the belt guard this weekend. Someone had cut the 2 mounting tabs off of the frame, so I have to make new ones and weld them in the proper place...

I have to do the same thing for my 654, only I wasn't bright enough to see it before I painted it.

Looks like you have everything under control, and progressing nicely. :thumbs:

bitten

bell

Looks like you a very nice project going on and that you are doing everything you can to do it right. I really like to see that. Take your time and go the extra step and in the long run you will have something to be really proud of.

I'M doing one myself and sometimes it is hard to be patient and take all the extra steps but I know when I'm done with it it will be something that I will cherish for a long time. I'm doing a semi custom that only a Wheel Horse person will recognize and know all the little things that Ive done, but it will be the way I think Wheel Horse would have done it if they could have still made money. I'm hoping that it will be done it late spring as I would love to take it to the big show in June.

Good Luck,

P.J.

Brian1045

Jon,

I kinda miss being at this stage of the resto. I may have to swing up and see if you have any love starved Wh's you might want me to adopt. :whistle::whistle:

I need to start looking for another one. Spring is around the corner and I'm ready!

BTW: I love that table you have to work from!

Keep up the good work. :thumbs:

bell

Brian, I'm having fun! :thumbs:

Come on up! I think I may have what you are looking for... and I really need to sell a few tractors.

I bought the table from a friend of mine for $5.... I added about a foot of length to it and a steel top... makes working on them a piece of cake! :whistle: