pfrederi

Jacks small engine parts policies

pfrederi

Based on favorable comments I have seen on here about Jacks Small engines I order some parts for my MTD walk behind snowblower on February 15th.  After a few days i followed up and found that he didn't have the parts and they were on order from the "manufacturer".  Estimated receivable date from them to his warehouse-- 25 Feb.  I checked again yesterday and the receive date at his warehouse was now 5 March for some parts.  BUT!!! he charged my credit card for the full amount of all parts the day I ordered it 15 Feb.  Most reputable businesses charge when they ship.  I will not be doing business with them ever again!!!! 

rmaynard

I have ordered simple Toro/Wheel Horse parts from Jack's in the past, thinking that since he is in Maryland, even though I would have to pay sales tax, I would get them quickly, Well, that was NOT the case. The parts are never in stock, and have to be ordered directly from Toro. A simple part like a thrust washer that can be shipped in a First Class envelope for $.50 still needs to be sent via UPS in a box big enough for small dog. Just didn't make sense to me. So I did a little checking and found that he and most of the other online parts dealers don't stock anything, They send an order off to the manufacturer after they get your order and your money. If the company does have a shop with a parts department, they only stock those parts which they themselves use on a regular basis, and everything else has to be ordered.

squonk

I found the same thing buying Honda motorcycle parts. You place an order with them and they get it from another dealer or from the factory. I think they make most of their profit from the shipping.

smoreau

Never ordered from there, got a heads up from others here a few years back. So I went else ware.

buckrancher

support your local toro dealer!!!

• Like 3

Martin

i was going to place an order with either Jacks or Pats this time around. Pats prices are a bunch cheaper than Parts Tree but i get very quick service from Parts Tree, everything i order has come within 3 days.....

now i don't know whether to just place another order with Parts Tree or someone else.

I used the local Toro dealer just down the road ever since i started rebuilding these horses, but the last couple of orders i got screwed over. He always gave me good prices until now, but doesn't seem interested in continuing. hence i went to Parts Tree.....

AMC RULES

Good to know.  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

leeave96

i was going to place an order with either Jacks or Pats this time around. Pats prices are a bunch cheaper than Parts Tree but i get very quick service from Parts Tree, everything i order has come within 3 days.....

now i don't know whether to just place another order with Parts Tree or someone else.

I used the local Toro dealer just down the road ever since i started rebuilding these horses, but the last couple of orders i got screwed over. He always gave me good prices until now, but doesn't seem interested in continuing. hence i went to Parts Tree.....

I get the same thing. Try to support the local dealer and after a while they get tired of it. Got cash in hand to buy a new tractor, best friends. Go figure.

smoreau

My buddy at my local toro dealer told me that the parts prices have gone up due to the economy. I think they are not making any $ on them so they raised the prices. You do not whant to know how much I paid for a blower housing for my bagger. It is only a big piece of plastic for $260 + tax!!  It was $175 just 2 years ago. And that's with a discount!

rmaynard

support your local toro dealer!!!

Even my local Toro dealer has nothing in stock that I need, then on top of that, they charge me shipping when I come to pick it up.

AMC RULES

I think the dealers would do well...  :teasing-poke:

to invest more time in the support of their customers.

chazm

Even my local Toro dealer has nothing in stock that I need, then on top of that, they charge me shipping when I come to pick it up.

Having worked for a toro dealer, they usually put in an order in  every week, so to charge shipping is BS... IMHO

• Like 2

grnlark

I've ordered a bunch of parts from Jacks in the past without issue. I can tell you this though - however they do it, they stock genuine Honda mower parts for waaaaay less than going to Honda directly. I've had to buy stuff here and there for my Honda and my local dealer is in a totally different galaxy on price. When the stuff arrives from Jacks it's all factory sealed in Honda packaging and legit parts. It's not china knock-offs. And same holds true for geniune Briggs parts for the older motors.

Edited by grnlark

Jim_M

Partstree.com, They may not be the cheapest, but the longest it's ever taken from the time I ordered until the time I received the parts was 4 days, most times it's been 3 days and a couple of times it's been 2 days.

• Like 2

JC 1965

I've always tried to support my local dealer but for the last six months or so they never have the parts in stock. The last time I went to get a small part they told me that they would order the part when they got enough orders from other people to make the order large enough to make it worth their time. i said forget that and ordered it on line. Seems like no one wants to stock parts any more. So I say why are they in business,    :confusion-shrug:

SousaKerry

Nobody wants to sell parts to old machines more profitable to sell new machines and charge shop time to fix em.  I needed the thick carb gasket for a Techy H60 couple of months back, went to 3 dealers to find it.  Other two wanted to order it and charge me shipping.  Guess where I am going back to even though it is the closest to my house they are not convenient because of my work schedule and their hours.

squonk

Outside of Kohler carb gaskets my local dealer stocks nothing I need but I get stuff ordered right away and they call me as soon as it arrives. They are old customers of mine too and they Re always interested in what project I'm working on.

VinsRJ

I have never had an issue with Jack's... I do find them a touch price-ie though... also keep in mind you are buying snowblower parts during one of the snow-iest seasons on record for most parts of the east coast.

Edited by VinsRJ

specialwheelhorse

Engine parts and much more     Tulsa Engine Warehouse  Just wouldn't deal anywhere else.

That's all I'm saying.

• Like 1

shorts

J Thomas in Commerce Mi do a good job for me. Buddy of mine that was wrenching full time on commercial turf equipment turned me on to them, I also use my local auto parts for tune up and generic parts.

Navig8r

J Thomas in Commerce Mi do a good job for me. Buddy of mine that was wrenching full time on commercial turf equipment turned me on to them, I also use my local auto parts for tune up and generic parts.

I had a lawn business, and ordered from J.Thomas regularly... one example.. a belt on my Exmark is ~$120. at the dealer.... From J.Thomas it was $65. and it was an OEM belt!  I probably ordered 30-40 blades from them as well......

AND THEN...

Something changed.. I believe they were bought out.... and the quality of parts went absolutely to J U N K!

I received blades that weren't straight (flat) (6 out of an order of 9!) as well as off brand belts, and a junk hydro control dampening cylinder...... Customer service was barely trying to remedy these issues, and I knew others having the same types of problems, so I walked away and never looked back.

I have ordered from Jacks with success... but not in a while.

I try to support my dealers as best as possible, but for some things I just can't..... When you charge me $27.00 for a blade, and $9.00 for an oil filter, I kinda feel like you're taking advantage of me, IMO.

Terry M

Well, the best way for me to shop for parts is to shop around. E bay, Parts tree, Pat's Small Engine up here in MN and some others.  As far as my local Toro Dealer….a waste of time.   My local small engine shop is limited ,but they're helpful and can order me parts and tell me if its a good deal or if I can get it cheaper else ware .  As a whole, I think all of the Wheel Horse and small engine stuff is getting very spendy.  I think it's just a sign of the times.  So my advice is check around before you buy…and if you find a good deal,buy two or more if you think you'll need it again some day. :)      

• Like 2

tunahead72

I hope you guys don't mind me resurrecting this old thread, but I'm starting to wonder about Jack's myself.

I placed an order for Tecumseh carb parts from them a couple of days ago.  Jack's doesn't tell you up front whether items are in stock, but you can check your order status right away and find out what's in stock and what they're waiting for from the manufacturer.  All but one of my parts was in stock.  The final item, a simple $2 gasket, was on order from the vendor and expected in their warehouse two days later.  I checked the status yesterday, and the gasket was then expected two days from yesterday.  I checked again today, and it's now expected two days from today.  I'm sensing a pattern here, it seems the expected date for this gasket to arrive in their warehouse is a moving target.

This all started sounding familiar to me, so I went back to some of my earlier records and realized that I cancelled my last order from Jack's back in 2011 for exactly the same reason.

I think I'm going to let this ride for another couple of days and see what happens.  If Jack's can't tell me definitively when I can expect my parts, I have four other suppliers to choose from.  Ironically, the one place that tells me what's in stock right up front, before I even start to go through the checkout process, is RepairClinic.com, which is one of my favorite online appliance part suppliers.

I'll keep you posted...

• Like 2

rmaynard

While working on the 416-H, I needed some Nyliner bushings. I checked Jack's by calling on the phone. I found that he actually had 8 of them in stock. I ordered them all and had them the next day when UPS delivered. That was a rare occasion though, as most of the time he never has anything in stock that I need.

tunahead72

Just an update...

I got an email tonight saying my "order from Jacks Small Engines has shipped".  Which isn't strictly true, because clicking the "track your package" link shows only that pre-shipment information was sent to the U.S. Postal Service, not that the package was actually mailed.

To be fair, when I placed my order, Jack's did indicate that "Most out of stock items are shipped within 1-5 business days".