Digger 66

Garage Tips & Tricks

Digger 66

I was prohibited to start a new topic in the " FAQ & Tips " area so i thought I'd start it here & let a mod move it as it progresses .

I thought it would be neat to share some helpful things we've learned over the years to make our life in the garage / shop easier : 

After I hit 45 , my up-close vision is starting to fade & stumbled on this little trick to make the sizes easier to read on my sockets .

Take some white paint & smear it over the stampings , then wipe off . Some paint will stay in the depression & helps you to see the size .

IMG_20140221_132928_865_zps516c1eab.jpg

These flavor injection syringes are available for around 4 bucks in the kitchen utensil aisle at Wal-Mart . 

They come with a hose that screws on the end too . I use this from priming my hydraulic brake systems to adding / removing virtually any liquid from nearly anything .

IMG_20140220_135822_959_zpsf485f9e0.jpg

Most of us know the double wrench trick but for those who don't : When theres not enough room for a socket & and a breaker-bar . two combination wrenches can be intertwined when one needs that little bit of extra leverage :

IMG_20140221_133015_385_zps39e52741.jpg

Lastly ( & I'll shoot up more as I think of them ) the foil trick can save your garage floor when draining a seemingly inaccessible diff or tranny plug .

Just take a piece of tin-foil & form a trough around a broom handle or something & place under the drain plug .

IMG_20140221_132847_383_zpsee7a46ba.jpg

Sooo...c'mon boys -n- girls , if you have any tricks to share , post 'em up ! 

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 6

motox25

I've been looking for syringes like that for awhile now, thank you!

c-series don

When changing any fluid that my run down my arm I take an old sock and tie it around my wrist. It keeps fluid from running past my wrist down to my elbow!

• Like 3

Operator

I LIKE that paint idea too !   Going to do it. Thanks.

AMC RULES

When changing any fluid that my run down my arm I take an old sock and tie it around my wrist. It keeps fluid from running past my wrist down to my elbow!

Might start a new :wh: fashion trend here.

The perfect match for Steveasaurus' bandana   :) 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

neil

protect your work from scatching by making these vice jaw protectors , normally made from Aluminum but these are made from sheet Lead which is much softer than Aluminum & are much easier to make & are much softer than Ali

post-2119-0-14470800-1393065508.jpgpost-2119-0-51470600-1393065525.jpg

• Like 4

Digger 66

protect your work from scatching by making these vice jaw protectors , normally made from Aluminum but these are made from sheet Lead which is much softer than Aluminum & are much easier to make & are much softer than Ali

Great tip ^ 

I've got aluminum "soft-jaws" but I've used pieces of leather too  :handgestures-thumbupright: .

JimD

If you've just changed your tractor's fuel line and you know your fuel pump is weak, use a turkey baster to draw the fuel up to the carburator. Squeeze the air out of the bulb, insert it into the gas line and release the bulb. It will draw the fuel through the line.

Obligatory picture of turkey baster...

Waving.gif

How-Big-is-a-Turkey-Baster.jpg

• Like 1

Uncle Buck

When you find yourself in a spot where you need a deep socket, but none are available you can improvise by pulling your shallow socket partially off of your ratchet or drive tool which will allow your shallow socket possibly just enough added depth to allow you to get a bite on the nut and start loosening it. You do need to leave enough space for the driving end of your ratchet to engage what is left of the drive hole in the socket to allow the ratchet to still turn the socket.

AMC RULES

In a pinch...   :scared-eek:

liquid Maalox also serves as a great thread lock.

Edited by AMC RULES

953 nut

If you've just changed your tractor's fuel line and you know your fuel pump is weak, use a turkey baster to draw the fuel up to the carburator. Squeeze the air out of the bulb, insert it into the gas line and release the bulb. It will draw the fuel through the line.

Obligatory picture of turkey baster...

Waving.gif

How-Big-is-a-Turkey-Baster.jpg

Don't go to JimD's house for a Turkey Dinner!    :ROTF:         :text-lol:        :ROTF: 

• Like 3

KC9KAS

In a pinch...   :scared-eek:

liquid Maalox also serves as a great thread lock.

Really?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Was recommended by Click-n-Clack...the tappet brothers.

So it must be good.    :handgestures-thumbsup:

http://www.cartalk.com/

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Does that threadlocker release with heat, or do you need to use EXLAX ? :text-imsorry: I can't help myself.

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 8

squonk

Don't go to JimD's house for a Turkey Dinner!    :ROTF:         :text-lol:        :ROTF: 

The enema bulb is used for Turkeys!  :laughing-rolling:  :laughing-rolling:  :ROTF:  :ROTF:

• Like 3

squonk

Does that threadlocked release with heat, or do you need to use EXLAX ? :text-imsorry: I can't help myself.

I don't care who you are, That there is funny!!  :)  :happy-jumpeveryone:  :laughing-rolling:  :ROTF:

squonk

Was recommended by Click-n-Clack...the tappet brothers.

So it must be good.    :handgestures-thumbsup:

http://www.cartalk.com/

Click and Clack were the best!!  :thumbs:  I listen to them every day on XM.  I love the endings "The head of our overworked mother dept. is Erasmus B. Dragon and our seat cushion tester is Fitz M'Tush"  :)

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:hilarious:

Really?

GlenPettit

•  I put colored electrical tape on every-other size socket; like Green for 1/2", orange for 3/8", blue for 5/8", and the in-between sizes I can guess when they are all lying there in order.  The tape does get nicked up and needs to be replaced every few years.

•  Stopped at a print shop and got a damaged box of big paper, 23x35"; always keep a 2-3" pile of it on the work bench and I work on that, it's whitish, can write notes on it, it's coated but reasonably soft and absorbs spills.  When messed up, just discard it and have a clean new area to work on.

•  Mounted a small $10 fan near the ceiling, blowing down on my work bench, warm air down in the Winter, a breeze in the Summer and dries & moves fumes away, turn on-off by plugging in-out the plug, low speed, just noticeable, not fast..

•  Mounted several of those 2' magnetic strips, on the wall in front to hold tools temporarily while I'm working, rather than leaving them on the bench and in my way, then they're put away when I'm all done. Also use a bunch of those magnetic trays to hold screws & small parts while working.

•  Got a adjustable pull-out 30" work-light mounted on the wall behind the workbench, with a bright 100w bulb, great for angling to look horizontal into something.

•  Put some electrical outlets just under and in front of the workbench, keeps the cords of my tools off the workbench & out-of-the-way, can leave them plugged in and just under the bench for quick access anytime.  (Got 4 cheap $10 small 4x4" sanders, one for each grit that I most use).

•  We use the large heavy-duty Wastebasket on wheels, and put a 3/4" board on it with a triangle hole (dust pan just fits in it, to dump), the board is the same height as my workbench and the whole thing is very mobile and still a handy wastebasket 'right there" (board lifts off to empty).

IMG_0136_zps464410a0.jpg   320ceb70-eb0c-4ac1-abe1-8b236e377462_zpsRL]

•  And then, my Hoist.  Securely bolted on 24' of square Barn Door square Track into the ceiling joists, hung a '$79 Harbor Freight' electric hoist on a bar with the barn door wheel hangers, and for electricity, used a ceiling mount re-coil cord (just cut the light off). It can lift 750# easily, for engine onto bench, tractor up, or hanging anything heavy.

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 6

KC9KAS

I installed a 4 X 4 electrical box with 2 duplex outlets on the front of my workbench. I used a 12 gauge cord about 10' long with a plug to energize the 2 duplexes.

I can plug multiple tools into the box without worring about overload, as I don't/can't use more than 1 (electrical) tool at a time.

The main reason I made it this way is because when I build the bench, I wasn't positive it would be setting in the same place all the time. This gives me some mobility with the bench.

• Like 1

Digger 66

Also Get some large heat-shrink tube & put it over your ratchet handle .

Keeps your hands comfy & buffers those over-tightening mishaps better than Nerf Wrenches .

IMG_1038_zps552ecff6.jpg

• Like 2

Operator

Lots and lots of great ideas!   

dclarke

I wired an old 120V. thermostat up to a light bulb in one of the cabinets under my bench. When it gets real cold the light keeps things stored in the cabinet from freezing.

002_zps634543a9.jpg

• Like 6

shorts

I use SS hotel pans from the restaurant supply store for a low cost solvent type parts washer, 6" deep fullsize, 2'' deep perforated 1/2 pan and a full size lid.  the 1/2 pan fits cross ways on the full size to drain your clean parts in or can be turned 90* and set in the large pan for storage or to soak parts in, the lid is used to cover up and contain the vapors when parts are soaking.  I keep several 1 gal cans of solvent/mineral spirits on hand and rotate them in the " parts washer" 1 for dirty stuff, 1 for clean stuff and 1 spare for when the clean rotates into dirty solvent. If you let the solvent set un the pan "covered" overnight most of the dirt will settle out then you can pour off the solvent into your save container and put the heavy dirt in your junk solvent can for proper disposal, wipe out your pans and fill with clean solvent for a final cleaning,  A full size baking sheet pan works good on the bench to contain the mess and parts when disassembling engines or transmissions, or to slide under a tractor before fluid changes to catch spills.  Clear condiment squeeze bottles are great for applying a small amount of lube or solvent precisely. Make sure to label them for their contents.

• Like 1