Rideking

3/4" to 7/8" Snow Thrower Shaft Upgrade

Rideking

During a recent storm the shaft bearings in my 6-6212 snow thrower called it quits, and after disassembling the unit I realized that the the old 3/4" shaft was worn beyond repair. I initially thought about replacing the 3/4" shaft but as others have found out the 3/4" shaft / bearings can be substantially more expensive than the more common 7/8". I was able to find the bearings locally at a farm store, and ordered the shaft, pulley, and sprocket from surplus center (much cheaper than the local farm store!). Here are the part numbers if anyone needs them:

14 tooth - 40 pitch sprocket: 1-2123-14-d  $4.40

7/8" Keyed shaft 36" long: 1-2982-87-3  $26.95

5.45" V-belt Pulley: 1-BK57-d  $$14.30

Bearing HC205-14 $10.00 ea (2)

3/16" shaft key .50 ea (2)

Total cost of the upgrade: $66.65 (plus $11.00 shipping) ...or about the cost of one OEM 3/4" shaft bearing!

Here is the bearing that I used, fits perfectly into the original bearing holder. (note: leave the holders slightly loose while sliding the new shaft into place, then tighten fully):

bearing.jpg

I missed taking photos of the assembly process, but here it is completed. I left the shaft long for final alignment of the pulley. You will have to cut the shaft to rough length before you attempt to mount the pulley, 36" is too long otherwise. I also too the opportunity to grease the tensioner pulleys and check the chain tension...maybe this summer the unit will get a paint job!

pulley.jpg

• Like 5

chazm

Good post... :handgestures-thumbupright:  Will be a help to myself & others... :greetings-clappingyellow:

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  Awesome tip...  :thanks: 

thanks for sharing the info here.