JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

WHERE ARE ALL THE 520s LOCKED UP AND STASHED?

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ok, here I go again, I just keep finding myself pulled deeper and deeper into this great hobby called WHEEL HORSE. After months of reading and facination with these tractors I feel that I shall and will have to have a 520. And let me be honest, yes I squaked on the onan, and yes I understand the onan is tempermental and needs attention. But I am readying myself for the challenge. So a month or so back inbetween family duties and obligations, and tearing down the 854 and working on the 416 I started my search for the elusive late model, low hour 520.  The problem is,,,,where the heck are all of them? If one gets listed the add is removed in a day or two.  Who is buying and hiding all these 520s? I am sure a bunch of you guys have them hidden away under lock and key. Like a fine expensive wine where the cork is pulled on a special occasion.

Anyway, let it be known, I have started the hunt, must be something to owning these 520s, just based on what I have noticed on sales of them to date.

Just wanted to make that comment and see if you ol timers have found this to be true on getting a 520.

Comment wellcome from the board.  Thanks

Glenn

• Like 1

MalMac

I myself have not seen that problem, there are always a few that creep up on ebay, and where i live there always seems to be some on CL. some are ragged out and there have been others that appear to be in good shape. Even here on RS they come up from time to time. There again I am not in the market for one. I am sure that could change if I decided to look for one. Keep on looking they are definitely out there. You might have to expand your search area. Just be careful because Some of the Wheel Horse enthusiast are very territorial and could be dangerous. Spring is coming and that's usually the best selling time, More will pop up for sale for sure then.

Kelly

I love my 520's before owning one I thought what is the big deal, well they feel more like a big tractor, they have a heavy but smooth feel, the power if running right is untouched by any other tractor I own, the gear reduction steering is great, I like the dash lay out I think it adds to the big tractor feel, down side Onan if not cared for can be problemsome they have wiring issues but most came be fixed with a new 9 pin connector and fuse box, and they like their share of gas, but I have drove suburban's (truck/SUV) for 20 years, so I'm used to gas hogs.

I can tell you stop looking you will find one, I have owned about 20 of them, from beaters to nice low hour machines, I sold 3 in the last 6 months, I still have 5 here now, one is a beater but is my go to machine, runs like a top and always starts right up, I built it out of pieces including the engine from a Ingersoll.

AMC RULES
post-3498-0-13684700-1388614136_thumb.jp
post-3498-0-53677300-1376256740_thumb.jp

• Like 1

rokon

Both of mine lived in Connecticut before they came south to me. There is one in Mass right now for sale, (not mine).

and a couple in maine

xxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Edited by Sparky
Craigslist links not allowed

leeave96

I know I have 4 of them under lock and key...  :text-bump:

varosd

On CL in the Central NJ area there is a yard sale with a 20 hp Wheel Horse for sale. no price or pictures. there is a phone number.  search wheel horse and it should show up.

baerpath

I would much rather have a XI series than the 520. Sold my last two 520's last year

• Like 2

cheesegrader

They come up for sale often.  More in the spring and summer.

I don't see as many low hour machines any more.

I think the nice ones that are reasonably priced get pounced on quickly.

If you don't mind rusty with 1000 hours on the meter, there are plenty to choose from!

The last one I bought was my loader--came with 166 hours.  Hehehehe....

wh79d160

I drove 10 hrs to get one with 85 hrs on it or 20hrs if i can believe the PO about the " kid was playin on it & left the key on" " dog ate my home work" ect.etc. Gotta just wait it out, they'll show up

• Like 1

Desko

There a sale on Craigslist in Johnstown Pa with a 520-8 two 520h some sears wheel horse blowers 60" deck front end loader, parts WH 310-8 and alot more I have not listed check it out. He is selling as package deal.

Edited by Desko

stevebo

I love the 3 I have.....

• Like 1

Ken B

I love the 3 I have.....

And I wouldn't mind takin one of em off yer hands...And you know which one! :ychain:

tlb41

I would love to find a mint condition 520 with low hours. Anybody out there have one they would like to part with? I would take good care of it i promise.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Me to. 

47JDG

Like Kelly suggested, stop looking and one will show up. All of my wheel horse purchases have sort of fallen right into my lap when I was not looking very hard, or for a model in particular. The 520 is a brute, my dad owns one with the 60 inch deck and high shute blower. They will do a lot of work! They are plagued with wiring issues though, something that you don't have to deal with on the older models usually. They definitely went overboard with the wiring and fuse assembly on the 520, but it is easily corrected.

rmaynard

One of our members, Cable, usually has one of his for sale. PM him and see if you can work out a deal. He's only a couple of hours from you.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Big thanks for all the tips so far fellas. Just biding my time. Been busy with the 854 teardown. That one that was in central, nj craigslist, called on it, just didnt sound right for me. And what was funny, a few days after that call I ended up in cream ridge, nj getting another fender for my jeep. Not very far from that 520. 

To get to the point, another member sent me a pm tonight, his buddy picked it up. I asked him how it was and am awaiting the reply, if I remeber it was going for less than 500 bucks. Will keep you guys posted when he tells me it has 32 hours on it or something crazy. lol

Glenn

AMC RULES

OOPS! Sounds like you missed a great back up tractor there. 

You don't see 520's pop up often, for that price, in any condition.

cleat

I have 2 520's, I found ond locally listed on kijiji with the 60" deck and mid grader blade for $450.00 and the other was one they retired from work after buying a new Cub.

The work one came with the 2 stage blower and chains for $100.00.

One thing I have noticed about these units is the work one which is older and had the tunnel mount motion control has a much simpler wiring harness without all the relays, fuse block etc. It has 2 individual fuses clipped on by the battery and a single weatherproof fuse down by the starter for the charge cct.

Cleat

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

520 nj craigslist followup. fwiw

Gentleman, I got a pm from the member here that told me about the 520 that I passed on. He told me his buddy bought it and got it for $375. He sad also,,kept inside, over 1600 hours, engine smokes a bit. He also said his friend will tinker with it, and use it to plow his driveway. And his friend is super happy. I told him wish his friend good luck from me to.

I hope we wellcome a new member soon. Anyway thats the jist of the 520 that got away for $375.

bottom line is, like you guys say. Keep your eyes peeled, the 520,s are out there.

Glenn

gomer gump

I built 7 520,s just started buying frame and parts here and there .some times bought tractors minus the motors or minus the transmissions. just started pieceing them together and they came out very well . on ebay you can darn near buy all the parts you need some parts you can get from toro and some they don,t stock that,s the hard part. took me a few years to do all this but got it done .it,s also a lot of elbow grease ,wire wheeling, grinding ,welding and painting. buyer be where when you go buy a complete tractor sometimes you get a deal and sometimes you get a pile of rusted parts so look them over real good before you buy. I prefer to buy the frame and build my own I live on a farm and use the tractors dailey not into the show tractors, but I do have a couple that I spent a lot a time on and got near new. 520,s are getting hard to find ,one thing you might want to consider if you can,t luck up on a good one is to buy a 312,416 518, and others and building it from those frames their basicly the same just have to drill a couple holes in frame, cut or change hoodstand and hood ,repower motor and change a few parts and you got a 520 .won,t be original but you,ll have a strong tractor .seen a lot a 312,s on ebay and craigs list for sale .also check dealers in your area they may have a few old tractors sittin around for sale .I,d steer clear of these guy,s who have bought a lot a tractor parts and have a yard full of junk tractors ,chances are you won,t get a very good deal from them there out to get in your wallet. i.d buy from some one who,s took good care of one like a farmer if your looking to get a good one . I bought a couple tractors from golf courses and one from city dept. they use them alot

Forest Road

I'm in north Jersey. For some odd reason they always seem to come in cycles. One will pop up on CL for a few days. Then all of a sudden 3 or more pop up. It all comes down to a waiting game.

I had one w 110 hours on it. All it did was run a single stage snowblower. I swapped it for a Magnum powered 314h w 175 hours. Cosmetically the 314 was cleaner. The guy is a good friend of mine. He had it repainted w toro paint and has probably put 10 hours on it in past 2 years.

My 314h does everything I need at our vacation home. I do wish I had the power of the 520 w my two stage blower. But I love the simplicity and reliability of the Kohler!

thehorse

The guy in johnstown pa has pics....no prices and does not respond back. He had the same ad this summer! As a matter of fact, I emailed him again today so we will see.

bmsgaffer

There's one on our very own classifieds right at this moment but its in central indiana.

If I hadn't just purchased a really nice C-145 I would be all over this.