kudzu3

312 puller info needed

kudzu3

My friend has a 312 that he is in the process of making into a puller. He has started extending the front end (?). It has the stock briggs & stratton engine and he wants to use it since it seems to be in good shape. Is this engine okay for a puller, and what can be done to it for more power? If anyone has any suggestions or info, please let me know, pictures would be great :) . I am obviously completely ignorant on this subject so any help will be appreciated. :bow-blue:

• Like 1

pstlouis

I would check the rulebook for your club before extending the frame. Most have rules on the wheelbase length and frame mods. If he wants to do it to put more weight up front, i would just put on a weight bracket and add weight as needed. Also, I would make sure it has an 8pinion rear end in it before getting too far. The regular 8spd axles don't hold up as well pulling. Changing the rear end only takes 4 bolts, and its a lot easyer doing it now than after getting towed off the track. As far as the engine goes, check the rulebook as well as there are limits to what you can do depending on the class you are in. Hope this helps before he mods it a little too far for what hes doing.

• Like 1

kudzu3

Well, more questions on this same 312. He has extended the frame and is putting it all back together as other parts are being fabricated and painted. The question now is where to get a foot throttle. He is not going to use this tractor for serious competition pulling, just as an interesting project and toy. Any suggestions on locating a foot throttle?  Thanks.

pstlouis

Try jegs, summit raceing, or even check around any local race shops. All depends on of you want something small and sleek, or a classic bigfoot pedal. Got any pics of how its coming along?

rmm727

Midwest Super Cub for the foot throttle.

kudzu3

Thanks all. I'll make an attempt to get some pics, but am not very good at that sort of thing.

jimt1971

Modify the right brake pedal into a gas pedal. Use the left pedal for the clutch and brake like an old Raider. I have done it and it works very well.

kudzu3

jimp, sounds like a good idea, is it possible to post pics of the particulars of this? I would like to see how everything is arranged. thanks.