Sign in to follow this  
jaybird

Wheel Horse C-120 Special

jaybird

I just purchased my first Wheel Horse and I stumbled on this site. I am hoping you guys can help me. I picked up a C-120 Special (per the decal) for a what I thought was a very reasonable price considering it came with a lot of attachments. The previous owner said the starter went bad and so he took it off to get it repaired, set it aside, then misplaced it. We have all seen garages like this. He says the engine is original to tractor, as his grandfather purchased it new. I need a starter and a steering arm for the left side. Can anybody help me with the starter. Part number, availability or anything. Anybody got one? I need the left steering arm too. How about one of those? Thanks, Jason

Duff

Good morning, Jason and :USA: !

I don't have the info you need but I'm sure another one of the folks will be along shortly with some ideas. This forum is loaded with knowledge, resources and a downright decent bunch of people who love these red tractors and helping each other out!

Again, :omg: !

Duff :banghead:

daemon2525

Ok, I'll bite.

Some folks may know exactly what engine that machine has, but I do not.

Does the thing have a starter that runs on a ring gear against the flywheel or does it have a starter/generator that turns a belt?

For the steering are you missing the Spindle/arm combination that the wheel mounts on or just the Tie rod?

Oh, Yeah, it helps if you tell us where you live, as its easier to get parts that are close to you.

and Welcome!!

Jim_M

Post pictures of the steering parts that you need. I probably have them and if not there are at least 50 other guys here that will have them.

Teddy da Bear

Jason :banghead:

It is always helpful to post model # and serial of tractor. Model number and serial are on the tag likely on the side of the dash tower. Model number "is" different than just calling it a C-120.

Also the engine will have a model and spec number. These are helpful in finding parts for it.

If you go to the Toro website and plug your numbers into the "parts finder" you will likely see part numbers for the parts your looking for. Most likely not available....but at least you will know the numbers.

Partstree.com is another good site for illustrations and parts.

Again...so glad you could join us!

kpinnc

Jaybird,

First of all, :banghead:

Secondly, if the C120 does have the original engine, it should be a Kohler K301 with a gear drive starter.

They are quite often times readily available on Ebay fairly cheap.

Also, you could ask around at any local small engine repair shop. You might just get lucky.

Kevin

wh500special

Welcome.

What makes the C-120 Special so "Special" is the use of a Tecumseh HH120 in place of the regular Kohler k301 that was typical. I think the starters for many of the horizontal shaft Tec's are the same from engine to engine, so finding one shouldn't be like a quest for the holy grail.

The Kohlers are more lauded by most collectors, but I personally like Tecumsehs just as much.

Tie rods are a wear item, and it isn't unusual to need a replacement. You may need to replace the balls on the steering mechanism and spindle too if the fit is too sloppy.

I could look up part numbers for you, but instead I am going to point you down two paths...

First, arm yourself with all the numbers from the engine and the tractor. On the engine - usually stamped into the blower housing - will be a model and serial number. The tractor should have an ID plate on the left hood stand tower just below the dash board.

Take the tractor model number to the Toro website and look on their Master Parts Viewer for your model of tractor to find what you need (the starter probably won't be on there, but the tie rods will). Where it asks you to enter your model number use the numbers from the tractor ID plate, not the decal. And if at first you don't succeed, try various permutations of hyphens/no hyphens/spaces when you enter the number. your number is probably something like 1-0357 or 1-0395.

Then either call or visit your local Toro/Wheel Horse dealer and get price/availability info for the parts you need. Note the part numbers when he quotes the price. If he doesn't deal in Tecumseh, you may have to find another dealer who does.

If you'd rather not pay the relatively high prices for new parts (I would imagine both of these items will be available), you can then start shopping eBay, the classified ads here, or other sources. If you're a believer in supporting your local small business man, you may do well to just get your parts from him. Unless it is something I know the dealer won't have, I try to get my stuff there whenever possible since it is better for me in the long run if he stays in business.

The other path is to try and find parts manuals for your tractor, which you're going to need anyway as you get further into your project. Photocopies are available from Toro, sometimes originals or copies are on eBay, and there are Yahoo groups for this too. Or send me an email and I will give you the email address of a good friend who can sell you originals (depending on availability).

You might want to put your location in your profile too. I am guessing Kansas by your Jaybird name (shooting in the dark that you're a Jayhowk fan), but you could also be down the road from me and I just don't know it. Or you like to run around naked...as in "naked as a Jaybird".

The C-series tractors really were, in my mind, the best tractors WH ever made. Especially the simple early ones. With a little elbow grease, some real - or synthetic - grease, and some tinkering you will have a decent, solid machine to play with for years to come. Just beware that often your first tractor starts an avalanche of stablemates.

Best of luck,

Steve

kpinnc

What makes the C-120 Special so "Special" is the use of a Tecumseh HH120 in place of the regular Kohler k301 that was typical.

Dolt! I didn't know that. Learn something new every day I guess! :banghead:

Kevin

Teddy da Bear

Sounds like advice is often repeated.... :banghead:

Buzz

You didn't say whether it is an 8 speed or an automatic. If it's an automatic it's a 1974 model # 1-0495. If it's an 8 speed it's a 1975 and either model # 1-0357 or # 1-0375. All of them had Tecumseh HH120-120180D engines. I looked on PartsTree and see they take starter Tecumseh 33835 available for $155.00 :banghead: I'd check with a Tecumseh dealer to make sure that is the right starter number then start watching ebay. Give your dealer all the numbers on your engine.

To find out the part number of the steering arm go to Toro's MPV: https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

Enter one of the model numbers I gave you then check out the front end/axle. You should come up with the part number you need. you could check the Toro dealer, watch ebay, or ask here to see if anyone has one. Good luck.

Kelly

Learned something new in this tread, never heard of a C-120 speical, now I know if I see one or hear about one it's tucky powered, Have a pic of what the starter looks like? I can check out my local scrap yards, maybe I can find one.

Teddy da Bear

Kelly....keep an eye out in the scrap yard for my silver sculptured horse headlight cover..... :banghead:

Buzz

Learned something new in this tread, never heard of a C-120 speical, now I know if I see one or hear about one it's tucky powered, Have a pic of what the starter looks like? I can check out my local scrap yards, maybe I can find one.

Funny how you overlook some of the obvious details. Two nights in a row I learned something. :banghead: Tonight it was the C-120 Specials had Tecumseh engines. Last night it was that all Raiders had standard transmissions and that all Chargers had automatics. Right there in plain sight but never noticed it...........

kamsdad97

Jaybird... I was wondering if that was the one on Craigslist in Rockford Il.

wh500special

Sounds like advice is often repeated.... :USA:

Oops. :banghead: Started my reply during a teleconference with work before you replied, got distracted for 4 hours doing what I was supposed to be doing and later cut and pasted it back into another post...

wh500special

Might as well mention at this point that there were also C-160 Specials that had a Tecumseh 16 horse (HH160 I suppose) standing in for the normal k341.

As I recall, the alernate engine source was a consequence of a strike by the workers at Kohler which temporarilly limited supplies of the Kohler powerplants. Not sure of tractor prices were held the same or if the Tec powered units were priced differently.

Actually, now that I think about it all of the tractor models WH denoted as "Specials" were simpler versions (cheaper perhaps) of the other models. The 500 special was a manual start aluminum Tecumseh, the 800 specials had Briggs engines, the C-specials were Tec's, and the A-90 special was that oddball horizontal shaft A-series tractor with a Briggs (all the other A's were verts).

Might have been others, but these jump to mind...

Steve

jaybird

I really appreciate all the help. I've decided to put it up for sale. I just picked up an older Gravely with a really nice snowblower, weights and bagger. I may have to put to good use. So here is the skinny:

C-120 Special

3 point hitch

5 foot rear scraper blade

36 inch roto tiller

Brinly 1 row moboard Plow (has the steel rear wheel on it also)

Original mower deck - 44" ? - Not real sure

Steel Bolens wheel weights - currently installed

Non original seat (white not black)

needs starter (I don't have one)

needs right front steering arm (I thought left, my mistake)

one front tire (bead broke - old anyway)

Purchased from original family

Told the motor was rebuilt - I can't prove it.

Would really like to get $550.00

Located in Rockford, IL

see www.craigs :banghead: list.com (WI) then Madison or Milwaukee

T-Mo

You can post this in the For Sale section here in the classifieds. If you have any pictures, it will help, or you can post the link to the craig's list ad in the classifieds also.

jaybird

I will do that, Thank you. I am still working my way around the site.

TT

Might as well mention at this point that there were also C-160 Specials that had a Tecumseh 16 horse (HH160 I suppose) standing in for the normal k341.

Like this one?: :banghead:

C160tech.jpg

I'm thinking they were an OHH160 model. (overhead valves)

baerpath

Jaybird If you decide you want a starter for it I have spares. 10 bucks plus shipping.

Duane

wh500special

I'm thinking they were an OHH160 model. (overhead valves)

See, for all my preaching I learned something here! i knew they were OHV engines, but didn't realize they had their own designation (OHH160).

Thanks!

as always, preaching to the choir...

Steve

glenn27

As I recall, the alernate engine source was a consequence of a strike by the workers at Kohler which temporarilly limited supplies of the Kohler powerplants. Not sure of tractor prices were held the same or if the Tec powered units were priced differently.

Actually, now that I think about it all of the tractor models WH denoted as "Specials" were simpler versions (cheaper perhaps) of the other models. The 500 special was a manual start aluminum Tecumseh, the 800 specials had Briggs engines, the C-specials were Tec's, and the A-90 special was that oddball horizontal shaft A-series tractor with a Briggs (all the other A's were verts).

Might have been others, but these jump to mind...

Steve

I had heard that explanation about the strike deal, also--Steve. One of my co-workers years ago obtained one of the specials--he did not like the Tec's --so he found a Kohler--installed it and with a little rewireing--ran it long/hard--gave it to his son last year.