Pickle

KT17 II overhaul

boovuc

Nice work, Pickle! Always like to see the KT's saved!

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Nice work, Pickle! Always like to see the KT's saved!

Same here, they are a great engine!

• Like 1

pacer

Re engine paint color of the KT17 - I have 2 of them on C-175s with different colors, one is what appears to flat black (or maybe sun faded black?) and the other is a grey (like I've seen on replacement engines?)  The grey one seem to have the K17 front cylinder 'syndrome' , but the black one is OK. Ill be rebuilding the black one and am wondering what color? Pickle what decided your dark grey color?

By the way, your nicely documented rebuild has encouraged me to tackle my rebuild, thanks...

Bill

• Like 1

Pickle

Re engine paint color of the KT17 - I have 2 of them on C-175s with different colors, one is what appears to flat black (or maybe sun faded black?) and the other is a grey (like I've seen on replacement engines?)  The grey one seem to have the K17 front cylinder 'syndrome' , but the black one is OK. Ill be rebuilding the black one and am wondering what color? Pickle what decided your dark grey color?

By the way, your nicely documented rebuild has encouraged me to tackle my rebuild, thanks...

Bill

pacer - I think the color is something of a low or semi gloss black. If you see a dark grey color in the pictures it is the self etching primer I use to prep before painting any bare metal, or the camera. The KT17QS 24350 overhaul was more expensive than anticipated, but hopefully it'll last the rest of my lifetime. Some parts were hard to find - the most time consuming part of the overhaul.

Pickle

Self etching primer versus black semi gloss paint.

post-11460-0-92112900-1393428701_thumb.j

post-11460-0-32176900-1393428863_thumb.j

• Like 2

Pickle

I thought I was getting the 417A ready for the garden plowing and mowing season - picture from this mornings surprise weather!

post-11460-0-32155700-1393429857_thumb.j

Edited by Pickle
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Nice work Pickle...  :handgestures-salute: 

you work fast like a bunny bro.

• Like 1

chazm

WELL.... How's the 417 run ? ... :auto-biker:

• Like 1

smoreau

Nice looking  85 417A!! Should last you a long time with a fresh KT17!  Good Job!

• Like 1

Pickle

The engine runs really well - it is a bit louder now than I recall and it doesn't hit the governer quite as often going up hills. The only thing is it seems to run at a higher rpm at full throttle. All is well.

Pickle

The engine runs really well - it is a bit louder now than I recall and it doesn't hit the governer quite as often going up hills. The only thing is it seems to run at a higher rpm at full throttle. All is well.

Nice looking  85 417A!! Should last you a long time with a fresh KT17!  Good Job!

Thanks, it's realy dirty from sitting. I've considered doing a full paint & rework but it's costly and the way I use the tractor not worthy of the effort required.

Wheel-N-It

Good to know all is well with the 417. Thats a good machine with the 48" deck on it. I run a 48" on mine. Question, do you know yet how much you have invested in your overhaul? Very curious as there will come the day I want to freshen up my KT-17 series 2 and I'd like to have an idea how much to expect to have invested in parts plus machine shop work, plus whatever you have encountered.

• Like 1

Pickle

Good to know all is well with the 417. Thats a good machine with the 48" deck on it. I run a 48" on mine. Question, do you know yet how much you have invested in your overhaul? Very curious as there will come the day I want to freshen up my KT-17 series 2 and I'd like to have an idea how much to expect to have invested in parts plus machine shop work, plus whatever you have encountered.

Sent you a PM - fish through those figures for your overhaul costs - shop around for best price.

• Like 1

Pickle

The 417A was running smoothly, I changed the engine break-in oil and filled the gas tank for the second time. I leaned out the ever so greedy main jet adjustment and the KT17 was running flawlessly.

Then it happened!

The 29 year old coil stopped sending spark from one tower. I am now awaiting a replacement coil from the kohler parts supplier in minnesota.

Pickle

It was 72 degrees yesterday, after fishing I arrived home and decided to pull the plow disc over the sizeable 1/2 acre garden. The KT17 ran smoothly and I enjoyed listening to it run. Tonight it snowed and the forecasted morning temperatures are 15 degrees. Crazy weather for kentucky.

Pickle

The new coil arrived and I installed it, seems to start quicker and run smoother now. I changed the hydro oil to synthetic 10w30 and screwed on a new filter. I am now working on the deck support system and have found some wear on the mid tach-a-matic, I will have to deal with that quickly - spring is almost here and the 3 acre yard is about to start growing fresh grass.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

...spring is almost here and the 3 acre yard is about to start growing fresh grass.

From your lips to Gods ears.   :pray: 

• Like 1

Pickle

From your lips to Gods ears.   :pray: 

Yeah - I had been doing the weekly mowing on a much smaller machine which took 7 hours to complete - I'm really liking this 417A! It cuts about 4 hours off my mowing time.

boovuc

Pickle:

Glad it is back up and running again!

Pacer:

You may also see gray KT Kohlers in Wheelhorse C-175 and or C-195 that were replacement engines for the series I motors. (Gray meaning the tins are also painted gray). Some folks may have found propane powered KT's and converted them to gasoline. A lot of the propane powered KT's were factory gray.

A gentleman I have badgered for years to sell me his C-175 has a Series II Kohler KT-17 that is gray. That was what the local Wheelhorse dealer installed in his tractor after he experienced several failures with his Series I after it was bought new.

• Like 1

eh2fay

I just bought a c175 Auto that has a kt17 series one. The motor has been taken apart by the PO as it blew a rod. When I have it rebuilt is there any way to modify the engine so that is more like the series two and doesn't have this problem again? Thanks guys

Pickle

I'll try to answer this - I may not have the complete or proper answer.

Series II engines incorporate a pressure oiling system with an oil pump and oil passages through the crankshaft journals to feed oil to the rods. In order to modify your series one engine you would need a series II engine block with oil pump, and a series II crankshaft that has a PTO end that will work with your C165.

jackhammer

Looks like a great job you have done on the 417 ... Hope it serves you well

• Like 1

Pickle
I mowed the full yard today - the 417A was really getting the job done well. I noticed I now have a slight oil leak. It appears to be coming from somewhere around the front cylinder. I'll have to remove the flywheel cover and cylinder tin to investigate further. Edited by Pickle

Desko

Maby the jug gasket?

Pickle

Yes I agree - but I will have to wait until I am off work Tuesday to make a closer inspection.