Nathanielperz

snow plow modification...(pics added)

Nathanielperz

I have a snow plow that came with my 1276 but its not for a wheel horse... its a bolens plow and last time my dad used it he said that to lift it up or turn the blade he had to get off and lift it up or move it by hand... I was wondering if I could customize that plow so I can lift it with the deck lever and tilt it with another lever... Is this possible...

Thanks in advance,

Thanks, Nate

post-12518-0-83334700-1392503882_thumb.j

post-12518-0-18460600-1392503900_thumb.j

Edited by Nathanielperz

Sparky

You wont get to many answers if you dont give us some pictures of the Bolens plow attached to the Wheel Horse. I have no idea what a Bolens plow looks like and I bet thats the same for most guys here.

Have you considered finding a WH plow and selling off the Bolens plow to recoup some of the money spent?

Thats the route I would take anyway.

Mike......

• Like 1

Nathanielperz

We cant seem to find a buyer for the plow my dad had it as low as $50 and no one wanted it... I can try to get pictures of it for you... but not mounted its not at my house its at my grandfathers house in the woods some where under about 3ft of snow... :eusa-think:

Nathanielperz

here is one more photo I forgot to upload...

post-12518-0-94527900-1392504001_thumb.j

Kelly

I have owned a few of those plows, I guess any thing is possible with a torch and welder, but it will take some work to make it fit and work as you want,  and your right even around me Bolens stuff is not a hot seller

Nathanielperz

Yeah my dad said he had people asking about it but it wasn't the right size the width was too small...

How would I go about modifying it? What needs to be done to it to make it work?

Thanks, Nate

JC 1965

If I were you I would wait until spring or summer when snow plows are not in demand and try to find a  :wh: snow plow on Craigslist in your area. You should find one at a good price then.  :twocents-02cents:

timo4352

Your Bolens plow is a step ahead of my modified JD plow  :eusa-shifty:

At least you have trip springs on yours. If you look in the manuals section you can study and get a pretty good idea of how the parts work to angle the plow.

Here's the one I put together. I fashioned the frame after a WH unit. 

Nathanielperz

I would rather use the one I have that no one wants instead of spending more $$ JC... But thank you...

ok is there a download link for that manual anywhere?

timo4352

top of the page - manuals tab

Nathanielperz

Yeah I found one thanks... It doesn't give a real idea of how the turning works... :eusa-think:

Scrumpy

Nate, looking at that plow you could add two pieces of square tubing off the back similar to a wheel horse plow. Then add the control in a similar manner and you would have a plow. Additionally you could extend the sides a few inches to get more width. When you choose the length you want the plow fully angled and make sure it clears the front tire. Then you would need to fabricate the bracket to attach it to the rear axle.

But unless you get your materials for cheap or free it may be better to do as suggested and wait for one to come up on craigslist. Mine was a hundred and I have seen them go for seventy-five. Just make sure it comes with the plow bracket. Then sell the bolens plow even if you only get 40 or 50 for it and you will be ahead.

Edited by Scrumpy

Nathanielperz

Thank you for the advice scrump, would mounting it to the axles put too much strain on the back?

can whlvr

attaching to thr rear is how wheelhorse attaches the plow,its probally the strongest place and the best place for pushing,just a small pic of one side of the bracket

DSC00070.jpg

Nathanielperz

Oh ok thank you... how much would all this tubing cost?

I don't know how I would make a system to turn the blade...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Nate