Sign in to follow this  
Butch

Off white wheel color match found

Butch

I bought some new rear wheels on Ebay that were advertised as Wheel Horse wheels and they were the off white. I believe the original color was linen beige. When I received the new wheels I wanted to find a color that matches so I can paint the front wheels. I picked up a can of Valspar Implement Cub Cadet Beige spray paint at the Tractor Supply Co store.

To test the closeness of the color I sprayed the inside tire side of my new unmounted rims and a piece of bare metal. Perfect match!! You can't see where the paints overlap on the wheels and the color of the piece of bare metal also matched perfectly.

How well they match the original wheels of years ago I don't know. But it is a perfect match for those brand new off white Wheel Horse wheels I bought on Ebay.

Butch

S. Jersey

kpinnc

I've used the Valspar IH white on my wheels as well, and it is a fairly close match to the "older" white. At least, to the WH white grease caps anyway.

muledrive164.jpg

Kevin

Butch

Kevin how long have you used the Valspar and how well has it held up? Did you sand blast or prime the parts? I was thinking of blasting, priming with Por 15 and then painting them.

Butch

kpinnc

Actually Butch, several members here use the Valspar Restoration series paint. I will have to say though, the Eldon (kj4kicks) creates some of the best looking paintjobs you'll find anywhere, and he has been using valspar longer than I have.

I know he and I both use a paintgun for ours, but Eldon has more sandblasting done than I do. My first tractor using Valspar was only painted back in late May/ early June, so I'm not a good person to ask about durability. I will say, however, that your prep work will make all the difference in the world on how it turns out.

And be forewarned, I haven't found anyone who likes the Valspar primer. It dries slow, and I'd swear that it causes the paint to take forever to cure. Even with hardener, the Valspar paint is very slow to cure completely. Other than that, I have no complaints with it.

Good luck!

Kevin