P3x

310-8 Shifting Difficult

P3x

Gave my 310-8 a workout with the recent snow. Purchased it in the fall and serviced (changed all fluids, etc.) prior to putting it into service.  The Tranny had some water in it so I flushed it and put in 89/90W Gear Oil. 

When I first got the tractor I noticed shifting was a bit difficult getting it in the gear desired.  Looked at similar posts on adjustments and found the dog screw was loose. Went to remove it to clean and it sheared when I was removing it, but was able to successfully back it out.  Installed a new screw and adjusted following previous posts - screw in until slight drag is felt. Seemed to shift a bit easier initially but if I had to guess, I'd say 80% of the shifts made plowing yesterday I could not get it in gear without going through different gear selections, putting it in reverse/fwd, double clutching, etc. 

Never had an 8 - Spd (or standard shift WH for that matter) and not up on trannys so do not have an idea if this is a normal occurrence as the tractor ages.  Looking for some advice to resolve.

Thank you,

p3x

rmaynard

My tractor is 37 years old and still shifts fine. Couple of things to mention. All gear changes must be made with the tractor stopped. There are no synchronizers in the transmission, so shifting on the fly is a no-no. If the belt guard is removed, the input gear never fully stops making shifting impossible or difficult at best. So with that in mind, I don't think you are using the tractor without the guard, but a tab or guide wire may be bent or missing, causing the same effect.

If it is not grinding, but just hard to shift, I would again check the dog-point set screw for adjustment. If that is okay, it may be time to check for low fluid, or water in the oil again.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

The only thing I would ad that Bob did not touch on (if grinding gears is the problem) is maybe a worn or stretched belt.  :)

• Like 1

Don1977

Another thing even when shifting when stopped give it a little time. I catch myself shifting too fast and grinding the gears if I am in too much of a hurry.

dcrage

For what it is worth -- I know I have to shift into other gears sometimes on my 310-8 to get to the gear I want -- Don't know how often I do it, but I know it happens -- I just assumed it to be part of using a standard transmission

stevasaurus

Dave...you really should not have to do that.  Do you get some grinding when that happens???

P3x

I should have mentioned I only shift when stopped and the side cover is installed. No grinding occurs and it occurs randomly while trying to shift in all FWD and Rev. gears.  The Tranny fluid looks fine with no moisture I can detect.  It's not drastic, just something that happens enough to make it a bit bothersome.

The drive belt looked like it's in good shape, but also looks like it has been on for a while.  I'll compare it to a new belt to see if it has stretched.  I'll also try readjusting the dog screw.  From reading the adjustment from an earlier post - I'm adjusting the dog screw in until the it just puts a drag on the shift lever - is this correct?

Have more snow on the way tomorrow.  May have to try to move some snow banks with the 520 before it hits.  Currently have a single stage blower mounted and chopped some last night after it rained a bit. Started clogging so think it had enough.  I do miss the power pushing snow banks back the 520 has over the 310. Maybe I'll mount another plow on it and have some ramming fun. 

Will let you know how it goes - Thanks for the suggestions.

dcrage

Dave...you really should not have to do that.  Do you get some grinding when that happens???

Steve 

I don't think there is gear grinding involved -- I never have any trouble getting to the gear I want; it has just become 2nd nature for me -- And this does not happen a lot -- Truth be told there has been zero; nothing; 'nada' maintainence done on my Unidrive in the 23 years that I have owned it -- I check the fluid level and I have never needed to add any -- So in that vain I have not been a good Wheel Horse owner

• Like 1

wallfish

One of my trannys does this much more often than the others, but they all seem to do it every once in a while. I wonder if it's because a PO was grinding the gears and now they tend to butt gear teeth instead of meshing.

rmaynard

Yes. adjust it until there is a slight drag, then back it off about 1/8th turn. Tighten the locknut securely.
Edited by rmaynard

sorekiwi

The 310-8 that I plow with has more trouble lining up the gears in winter than it does in summer.  It just "dead-heads" against the gear that I want to shift to, so I have to lift off the clutch a little and push down again before it will engage the gear I want.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the oil is just cold, and everything stops spinning really fast.  The trans works fine in summer time.  I have wondered about using some thinner oil (at least for the winter months), but that seems like more work than I want to do, so I put up with it.

P3x

To follow up, adjusted the dog screw prior to going out on the last storm. Still cannot get into the gear selected at first but shifting back into Neutral/Double Clutching puts it into the gear desired.

Installed a Sgl Stg thrower on my 520 at the beginning of the season to do the heavy work.  Been running into some glitches so think I'll live with the 310 shifting as is. Don't want to leave myself out in the cold without a tractor.

Thanks for all the replies.

p3x

kudzu3

If nothing else works, you may want to check my thread here on b 80 transaxle. It wouldn't go into 1st or reverse. The problem was determined to be the ball bearings that pop into grooves on the forks. They had rusted and caused a ledge on the groove that wouldn't let the fork move. Anyway, since you mentioned that there was water in the trans, I thought my experience might help. Good luck with it. :)  

• Like 1

AMC RULES

To restore normal tranny operation... :confusion-shrug: 

maybe just a simple flush and refill is in order.