Jrblanke

Played in the snow with the 314-8 for the first time today

Jrblanke

Like the title says, I played in the snow for the first time today. There was not really a need to plow as the snow is melting as quickly as it showed up, but I didn't want to miss the opportunity to use the dozer blade. 

I put it on the tractor, but I am questioning whether I connected it to the lift correctly. I also noticed a problem with turning the blade which I will get to in a little bit. 

I figured out after making one pass that there is a learning curve with this whole plowing thing. Here is what I learned.

1. I know this isn't brain surgery, but I'm sure there has to be a perfect height to set the plow lift, instead of just letting it sit on the ground.

2. After running the first pass down the side of the driveway, it may have been a better idea to go down the middle so I don't have to push the snow back over what I have already plowed.

3. Being a 260lb guy helps, but I do think wheel weights or filling the tires with fluid would help. 

4. Turf tires with out chains does not work very well. I did find some old tire chains under the seat of my dads pickup (the kind you have to strap on through the wheel). Even though I only had enough chains to put 3 pairs of chains per wheel, I could tell when they contacted the ground, they gripped really well, and I think having a full set of chains would give me plenty of traction. These little strap on chains were all I had. 

5. I need to read more threads on chains vs ag tires, and wheel weights vs fluid filling :D

Here are the pictures 

114_1274_zpsbcc51ede.jpg

114_1276_zps5f9390f1.jpg

Driveway finished

114_1290_zps32663370.jpg

Had so much fun doing the driveway, I decided to do some of the neighborhood

114_1289_zpsd518ba87.jpg

Project C100 in the snow

114_1269_zpse8b81dd1.jpg

Project 876 in the snow 

114_1268_zps2ef465fb.jpg

Thought it looked cooler with the lights on.

114_1287_zpsc762e202.jpg

• Like 6

woodchuckfarmer

Great plowing job.

Sparky

Great pics! Personally I let the plow sit on the ground with all its weight and dont ever set the dial-a-height. For great traction go with wheelweights (easily removed when ya dont want em) and stick with the turfs, way better than ag's for snow duty.

Mike.............

AMC RULES

Ags and chains alone, won hands down...

over turfs, weights, and chains here today.  :eusa-think: 

rexman72

thanks for sharing thepics.we are getting that storm now.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Good job, thanks for posting. Its the end result that counts.

btw, after raining tonight, now its snowing again. 

Glenn

varosd

To prevent the ever closing in snow mounds (probably not a problem in NC or southern states) I will set the blade AGL (above ground level for all you former paratroopers!) and run the length of the driveway.  It pushes the snow further back but doesn't dig in the grass.  My blade is on the 416-8, a lot easier if it was on a hydro.  I think next year I'm gonna run the plow with the Work Horse since it has the hydro lift Eaton 1100...

Although according to Stevasaurus, I need to bulk up!!! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

SNYFIX

Keep a eye on that scraper -- they wear down quickly when plowing the neighborhood !!

jackhammer

Thats a good looking 314-8.   Great pics

chazm

JR, I have a 314-8 with a plow on it too... The weights & chains are a big help, since my rear turfs are bald. Still did a good job on the last blast.

Had to put the blower on the Raider-10 for yesterday load. Its a good thing to have 2 snow machines.   

leeave96

That's a fine looking 314-8! I've got a '97 model like it, bought it new and it's still my favorite.

Looks like you did a good job with the plow. Let it all the way down, free to float on the ground.

I like ag tires for year round use. For the first time ever, this past snow threw me for a loop and I had to add chains. I'd rather have ag tires and add chains when needed - I just like the extra traction ag's give year round.

Weight: I've tried fluid with and without tubes. I don't care for fluid. I like to just plug a flat tire, air-up and go. I use bolt on weights. For me, it makes getting the tire on easier.

Good luck,

Bill

Wheel-N-It

Good story James. I see where things in Raleigh were pretty crazy. I'm glad you didn't get caught up in all that mess. (Or did you???)

squonk

To prevent the ever closing in snow mounds (probably not a problem in NC or southern states) I will set the blade AGL (above ground level for all you former paratroopers!) and run the length of the driveway.  It pushes the snow further back but doesn't dig in the grass.  My blade is on the 416-8, a lot easier if it was on a hydro.  I think next year I'm gonna run the plow with the Work Horse since it has the hydro lift Eaton 1100...

Although according to Stevasaurus, I need to bulk up!!! :rolleyes:

Invite him on down. He can ride shotgun for ballast!!  :)  :)  :wwp:

• Like 2