gumshoes

wheel horse record containing old wheel horse radio adds

gumshoes

this is a video I took of a wheel horse record that I purchased on ebay. It contains radio adds from wheel horse from the 70's.

Edited by gumshoes
  • Like 1

varosd

All right, we should start a poll of how many folks actually remember hearing one of those radio ads!!!     me=No

boovuc

Sad to say I not only heard them but I used this blip as an intro and end tag for a WH Dealer locally when I was in radio. (Same jingle).

This would have been in the late 70's and the dealer was Rice Farm Supply in Jersey Shore, PA. It was for snow blowers right after the season's first snow fall when we would do cancellations.

It ran every year in one form or another from long before I started radio as a part timer in 1975 into the 80's. (That jingle was actually pretty well dated back then).

I hate it and this version on the site sounds much better than the one we used off an old Tapecaster back in the day!  :)

Damn! Now I'm humming it and playing it back in my head! :banghead:  

AMC RULES

Hard to believe that brought customers in.

Sounds like the beginning of the end.   :no: 

Edited by AMC RULES

MalMac

Yes that jingle is very dated and is not the best. On the subject of advertising, one thing that always comes to mine with me is one of the reasons Toro started to diminish Wheel Horse then altogether stop production as we all know. Is because they stated that sales just were not enough to warrant keeping the tractor. How many times have we heard or seen a radio or TV add or even a printed add in the late 80's or 90's concerning Wheel Horse garden tractors. Oh I am sure there were some here and there but nothing compared to John Deere or Simplicity and even Cub Cadet. Toro had adds for their ZTR's and push mowers just not Wheel Horse. To me you can't sell em if you don't let the public know there out there. You can't just depend on people that know about them. You got to attract new people. As far as I can see Toro did not do this. At least I never remember ad's for them compared to the others. Not to mention Dealers carrying other brands right along with Wheel Horse. I have seen Simplicity on the same showroom floor as the Horse and the dealer pushing Simplicity.

I know there are other determining factors that I don't understand in play here. I am just saying compare the Wheel Horse adds back then to the other and they are darn near non-existent. Common sense would tell us that you can't sell em if nobody knows about them. My personnel opinion is If Toro could not make the huge mega profit from them then get rid of them. Sorry to hijack the thread but it all seemed to fit in the advertising scheme of things. All right I am done rambling now.

• Like 1

Coadster32

Never heard that one either. (can't say it'll stick in my head either.)   Thanks for sharing. :thanks:

daveoman1966

IMHO... Toro didn't buy out Wheelhorse to promote Wheelhorse.  To the contrary, the buy-out was to eliminate the competition.  

• Like 3

squonk

I got those jingles on I-tunes on my phone and start playing them a lot as show time approaches. To ad to MalMac's rant, I bought a new 210-H in 1990. I went to a local JD dealer planning on buying green. I never liked Toro and the dealer had no signage with WH

On it . I thought Horses were long gone . The 210 was sitting there with the Wheel Horse name and I saw a few WH features I remembered from my 604. When I found out that the JD didn't offer a snow blade and the 210 did it was a no brainer. The dealer was all JD everything . When I wanted to buy a snowblower for it after the Super Storm in 93 they said I was wasting my time and the 210 wouldn't work well. I ended up getting an old Allis blower and modifying it to fit I used that tractor for 20 years before selling it. All I ever fixed on it was a charging diode and a tie rod.

• Like 2

buckrancher

I have and I also remember the tv commerials

rexman72

I think i may have been to young lol

• Like 1

SousaKerry

Where is the youtube link?? all i get is the thumbnail?

Kegler

Didn't think I had, until I heard it, then I definatly remember hearing it. Must have been on WOWO out of Ft. Wayne.

SNYFIX

IMHO... Toro didn't buy out Wheelhorse to promote Wheelhorse.  To the contrary, the buy-out was to eliminate the competition.  

We were just thinking that. But look what happened -- Now sales are flat for their new tractors -- (if you can call them tractors) -- --

MalMac

I don't think it was to buy out competition, from what I understand it was to acquire a good garden and lawn tractor. When the garden tractor was loosing it's popularity as it even affected the other brands, Toro just did not pursue advertising it and had made the decision to start phasing it out as sales numbers dropped. I suppose in defense of Toro they did do a lot for the parts supply and bettered the warehouse and organization of distributing parts to dealers. As far as buying out competition, Toro at the time they acquired Wheel Horse were mainly into commercial lawn care products for golf courses and municipalities. They did not have a quality garden tractor. This is what I was told by a retired Toro Rep. He said there last attempt to stay in the garden tractor business was the 5Xi's, After the sales fell flat on that, this is when they decided to start the beginning of the end. Anyway this is what was told to me buy someone in the know. So I guess I will take his word for it. He was there I was not. I guess it make sense but I still don't like it, and if you are a member on this forum you probably agree to. It stinks.

AMC RULES

Where is the youtube link?? all i get is the thumbnail?

We don't need no stinking Youtube...

we got the power of :rs:

C-101plowerpower

nice, found my new ringtone :music-listen:

Koen

• Like 1

VinsRJ

I think I was to young to remember or most likely I didn't care back then :happy-jumpeveryone:  

Wheel-N-It

I like that jingle. It gives me visions of girls in miniskirts and go-go boots :bow-blue: