Torino

Kohler series 2 hard starting

Torino

I have a kt-17 series 2 in my C-175.  After is has set for a week or 2 it is really hard to start.  If I crank it ever couple of days it cranks right up.  I was thinking it was because the fuel has gone back into the tank.    It seems like it is flooding but is hard to tell.  Is there any way to tell if it is flooding without pulling a plug?  It could be I am not cranking it long enough.  It's hard to tell if I am cranking it long enough or flooding it.  I was thinking about getting a primer bulb and see how that works.

WH nut

next time you try it, give it a shot of starting fluid or carb cleaner. If she pops right off you have your answer

pfrederi

My 2 c-175s and 418a all have the same issue..so does the C-145.  They will start after sitting for a few weeks but you better hope the battery is OK as they will crank for an eternity before they fire.  I think it has to do with the fuel tank being below the carb.  as things age i think the fuel in the pump and lines flows back to the tank.  You would think they would fire from the fuel in the carb bowl but maybe that has evaporated??

The horses with the tank under the hood both Tecumsehs (no fuel pump) and Kohlers with pumps do not have the same problem.

Torino

I have a JD 318 that did the same thing until I installed an electric fuel pump and now it cranks right up.  So, you think I am not cranking it long enough?  After awhile you are wondering if it flooded.   I can not smell gas so I don't know.  I went to Advance Auto to get a primer bulb but they wanted right at 20.00. I thought that was to much. Will try to find a cheaper one. I only paid around 30.00 for the electric pump.  

Edited by Torino

pfrederi

I have a JD 318 that did the same thing until I installed an electric fuel pump and now it cranks right up.  So, you think I am not cranking it long enough?  After awhile you are wondering if it flooded.   I can not smell gas so I don't know.  I went to Advance Auto to get a primer bulb but they wanted right at 20.00. I thought that was to much. Will try to find a cheaper one. I only paid around 30.00 for the electric pump.  

I set about 2/3 throttle and full choke. Start cranking and do not quit until they fire up. (and they always do!!)  One time I timed it, it was well over 30 seconds of cranking.  That seems like an eternity.  I know there is some warning about not cranking too long but this time of year I doubt the starter motor is overheating.

I loaned the C-145 to a neighbor to plow his driveway (only so I wouldn't have to).  He chickened out with the cranking and then tried in short bursts.  Ran the battery down and she didn't start.

When it comes to quick reliable starting nothing in my fleet beats the Tecumseh in my L-107... and after only a second or two you can drive her away and go to work...the Kohlers and the hydros have warm up. 

Edited by pfrederi

JackC

Every time I clean a carburetor the engine starts quicker and runs better.

boovuc

My KT17 does the same thing. If it sits for more than three days, it is hard to start. This is not a "winter thing" either. Happens in the summer also! Points are adjusted. Condenser is changed. Plug wires are good. New plugs. New gas line filter. New gas lines. The carburetor has been gone over and it did this after it was torn off and a new kit was installed. TT and others have posted before about making sure your gasoline isn't draining back into the tank. I know mine did because I couldn't shut my gas valve. (It leaked when it was closed).

TT also posted a check valve for small engine applications that would prevent this from happening as well.

http://www.azjetski.com/parts/oil-filters-maintenance-tools-1/fuel-filters/oneway-check-valve.html

As far as cranking..........yup! You best make sure your battery is "up" before trying to start it.

ARK

Try installing a check valve in the gas line after cleaning the carb.

woodchuckfarmer

When you park your tractor shut the valve on the tank to stop drain back.

Torino

I put a gas turn off valve close to the carb but it did no good.  I thought for sure that would work.

56flatbed

Just a thought here, (I'm a rookie when it comes to these engines, but I'm learning fast) I know the K3xxx series have comp. release. If they are not timed right, hard start will probably be the result.

Edited by 56flatbed