Rick_in_CT

Use your nose

Rick_in_CT

For a few days, I would go into the garage (two tractors, one mini-van, one leaf blower) and I would get a very slight wiff of gas.  I was blaming it on the leaf blower because it normally is never kept in the garage, but I brought it up from the shed to blow some snow dustings off the steps.  This past weekend I was in the garage again, and got that slight gas smell.  I told myself to put the leaf blower back in the shed.  I went to pick it up, and realized that the smell was coming from one of the tractors.  I pulled off a side cover, and here was the fuel filter wet with gas, and a drop hanging from the fuel line.  It turned out that the plastic filter had developed a stress crack. 

Lesson here, if you smell gas you need to investigate the source sooner than later.  Once I took the side panel off the tractor the garage really started to stink.  I put the tractor outside and went to get a new filter.  I'm glad I found the leak while it was still very small, otherwise the outcome had the potential to be real bad.   

• Like 2

Digger 66

Good advice .

neil

Great advice Rick , you could have just saved soomeones house or workshop from going up in flames or even saved their lives

Good post