leeave96

Mid-Atlantic Snow Storm!!!!!!!!

varosd

Steve   I'm trying to catch up to you big guy! :rolleyes::D

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Just switched to sleet and freezing rain. Glad I got most of the blowing done early as of 3 PM it was impossible to blow the 18" of wet sticky stuff.   The snow was about like fresh concrete. I got tired of cleaning out the chute and went for the plow to clean up what was left.  2-4 more " forcast for tonight with 20MpR N wind.......that should stack it up. 

squonk

Don...you did not bulk up for winter did you??? :angry-nono:   Those few extra pounds can make the difference.  :)

i I went to myTaiwanese doctor today for a check up. I gained 6 lbs from last time. He wasn't 't happy and I told him it was for plowing snow. He didn't believe me. I had to show him the picture of your avatar!!!
  • Like 5

Trouty56

Got maybe 12-14 inches...never measured it....got to use the D series blower....looked like I was making snow at the ski resort.....sure did gobble it up though....had to drive into the wind about 150 feet....that was miserable...once I got the wind at my back i started to enjoy it.... :)

857 horse

welcome to virginia,,,,,,,tired of the snow?? waite a few days,,,,lolololo

howard in stafford,virginia......

857  wheel horse             with,weights on all wheels,,,and chains,,,48 blade,,,,did very good today......10 inches of snow....my drive way 3 others and the street between all of them

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Dang it...you guys are having way too much fun.  I want to be where it snows 8" and you have to get out there right now before it melts. :ychain:

Are you kidding me...this year...you have to get out there right when it is done snowing before the temp drops to minus 10 real temp.  And guess what...it snows again every other day...not a lot...just enough to drive you crazy.  The horses are getting fat from all the carrots and apples I am giving them to get them to start.  :)  Glad they are Kohlers . :ychain:   Although, I have to say...my tecky 3.5 Ariens has been great...but I am running out of Wisconsin cheese to dangle in front of it.

I know I am sounding like I am complaining...I am not...this is one of the best/worst winters in my lifetime.  I am going to make it...and I am going to remember this one like I do the blizzard of 1967...the snows of 1987...the cold of 1983/4.  This kind of winter is the stuff memories are made of.  Guys in North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia...all of the snow belt.  The memories of the horses going out and doing the thing they were meant to do 40+ years ago.  Thousands with no power, but the horses started and cleared the snow.  This is what it is all about...anybody can cut the grass.  One other thing...NO BUGS!!! :) :) :) :) :)

• Like 4

boovuc

Right now, lawyers have just moved down to 2nd place on my most hated list just above politicians.

The new Number one is.............meteorologists!

They called for a Travelers Advisory here in Clinton County Pennsylvania for 1 to 3 inches of snow today! We have between 8 and 9 inches and it's still coming down. This was forecasted by the National Weather Service.........Accuweather............and my normally close WeatherUnderground.

Well I got the blower and the loader out and had a buddy came over with his 2000 series Kubota with a plow. (Nice tractor). Made short work of the driveway because after all.............I was afraid the NWS would declare a Winter Storm Warning for 8 inches of snow and that very moment, 16 inches would drop from the sky all at once. I need a hot chocolate spiked with a 4Loco!

• Like 1

leeave96

OK - busy day with the Wheelhorse 520H.

Last night it looked like the snow wouldn't amount to more than 3 inches, and my blade tractor is an IH Cub Cadet 1650, so I figured I'd leave the WH under the front porch (it's home) and out of the weather - big mistake.  The IHCC was parked in the front with a tarp for the night.  Should have done that with the 520H.  The snow was to deep for the Cub Cadet and right off the bat I knew this was a snow blower event.  Problem is - the 520H is down a grassy slope from where I needed it and getting it up to the front of the house was going to be a challenge.  So I took a gamble and drove the IHCC w/plow straight down the hill, knowing it would plow down hill and give me a shot to clear a path for the Wheelhorse.  I drove the Cub until I buried it.

post-6085-0-94552200-1392351944_thumb.jp

Then I got the 520H cranked-up and ready to go.  I could get out and on the path I made with the IHCC, but couldn't get up the hill.  Finally I hooked my Jeep to it and pulled it up front where I needed it.

post-6085-0-82936200-1392352100_thumb.jp

Once I got the tractor on level ground, I still couldn't move.  I've been plowing and blowing snow with this tractor for years.  I've got ag tires and have never had a problem in any conditions and snow deeper than this.  But what was different with this snow was that it was melting from the ground up.  So we had 12-13 inches and while the top was fluffy, the underside was wet and heavy. Sooooo.....

post-6085-0-06669600-1392352266_thumb.jp

I had a pretty good idea once I got the chains on the tractor, I'd be OK.  The IHCC had chains too, but the weight and depth of the snow was to much for it.  Since I wouldn't be pushing snow with the blower, I knew moving around would be much easier - especially when I got out on my street and pavement beneath the tractor.

Game on!

post-6085-0-07887300-1392352428_thumb.pn

post-6085-0-24063500-1392352482_thumb.jp

post-6085-0-49412200-1392352529_thumb.pn

post-6085-0-14982500-1392352555_thumb.pn

post-6085-0-78411200-1392352613_thumb.jp

On my last run, when I lifted the blower, I noticed the blower was sagging on the left side and thought it had came unhitched.  Turns out somehow the tach-a-matic hitch lock mechanism on that side broke.

post-6085-0-34093000-1392352728_thumb.jp

So I've got a little repair to do and I'm back in business for another day.

All in all it was a great day.  Kind of a pain getting the tractor out, but once I did, things went well.  Don't know the total time I was out, but it was considerable.  I did my driveway and my street.  We live on a dead end street and most of the time the city doesn't get to our street until everything else is clear, so clearing the snow to the main drag gives me plenty more seat time!

I ran the blower full throttle.  I had a spare belt just in case I needed one too.  I pretty much filled the width of the blower and the snow was high enough that it filled-up the thing.  The Onan handled the load great, only slightly pulling into the governor - but it was enough that you could hear the engine grunting while working.  Can't say that I ever slipped the blower belt, but the top of the short shoot fell out of it's position a few times - not a big deal.  I've pondered getting a tall chute blower, but honestly, I had to be careful of loading the blower to much.  From the street center, if I wanted, I could have easily put snow on the porch of the houses I was driving by.  I think it would be fun to own/operate a 2 stage blower, but this short chute blower really throws the snow and if the tall chute throws it even farther, maybe I ought to stick with what I have.

Here in my neck of the woods we just don't get much snow and when we do, it's 6 or less inches and usually on the less side - so I use a blade most of the time.  From the get-go with owning the blower I always knew that I would only use it every few years - if that often.  Most folks probably wouldn't own one down here, but I have to tell you guys that when it finally snows - and every 3 or 4 years it does, it is a very cool implement to own - not withstanding it's usefulness in clearing our street just we can get out.  I highly recommend that even if you only get a deep snow every 10 years, you should have a snow blower for your Wheelhorse in your basement or shed.

BRING ON THE NEXT SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Bill

• Like 8

AMC RULES

20" of the curse word overnight, with 3-5" more predicted tomorrow...

you can knock off that effin snow dance anytime now Dino.   :no: 

post-3498-0-55286900-1392393510_thumb.jp

• Like 3

stevasaurus

:banana-skier: :banana-skier: :banana-skier: :banana-skier: :banana-skier::banana-rock:

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Mike:  I just got to tell Ruth that one about the extra pounds for plowing snow!   Great !   It sure has helped me this year!

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Craig...if there is snow on the roof...there is no fire in the furnace.  :)

• Like 3

Wheel-N-It

Hey Bill, I enjoyed your story.

For me here in Orange County NC, we got about 7-8 inches of mostly snow mixed with a little ice that really caught most folks here off guard. There were more cars and trucks and buses (both school and city) stranded and stuck and down embankments than I could count. Out in the county where I live it was more of the same. There were three cars stuck at the 3-way intersection right in front of my house, another SUV nose first in the ditch just within sight of my driveway, and a full size school bus off in the ditch no more than a half mile from the end of my driveway. Right away this morning I made the decision that clearing my driveway and my daughters driveway and my son's driveway, and the intersection, and pulling two of the cars back on the road was more than I wanted to hit head on with a Wheel Horse. The logical choice was the Mahindra 4025 diesel with a 6foot scrape blade on the rear of the 3point hitch.

It took about three hours to clean up most of this mess, then I stopped and went to Burger King with my Son (who had helped me pull the two vehicles back up on the road). After getting back from Burger King I loaded up the Mahindra tool box with BK chicken strips (no need for tools in the tool box as red tractors don't break down) and resumed moving more snow. About two hours later all the snow was moved and it was time to call it a day. It was fun, but now I'm ready for Spring.

Happy Valentines Day Everybody!  I'll add in some pics next week.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Craig...if there is snow on the roof...there is no fire in the furnace.  :)

Screw the furnace... :wh: tractors occupy that space now.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 2

chazm

BURGER KING !!!!!! :banana-dance:   BURGER KING!!!!!!  :banana-dance:  Did someone say BURGER KING ????  :royalty-king:

Grab me a Double dollar cheese burger, onion rings( don't forget the sauce) & a Hersey Pie.   I have  :beer: 

Oh yea I know it's :text-offtopic: ,   we got snow too, But it's BURGER KING ????  :royalty-king:

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

Chas, with me being a Southerner the one thing thats a must in the tractor toolbox for a days work is some fried chicken. Unfortunatly it can't always be home cooked. KFC and BoJangles was too far from the house but BK was only 4 miles away so I had to settle for BK chicken strips. That was better than an empty tool box though. ;)

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Van...would that tool box hold a bottle of Rock & Rye???  :)

• Like 2

varosd

How about for some REAL wind and snow??   I guess a snowcab is not an option! :icecream:

• Like 1

hm12460

HA! HA! I love it! We got about a 1/2" last night here in West Michigan.

Wheel-N-It

Van...would that tool box hold a bottle of Rock & Rye???  :)

Well Steve, sad to say I had no Rock and Rye yesterday. However that is not the case today :happy-partydance:

• Like 1