billsfan60

REPOWERING A C101

billsfan60

Rebuilt my K241 two years ago because there is no rust in the tractor or mowing deck but the engine was super tired.  Couldn't bring myself to dump a great tractor so decided to do heart surgery instead.  Rebuilt motor lasted til last fall but gave out on the last pass of the season (no compression).

Can't find a new kohler 10hp short block and wonder if anybody has done a repower with any other motor.  Kills me to dump a great tractor.

Kelly

Lots of other Kohler engine will fit, you have a AS style block with the small oil pan, but by removing the engine cradle and blocks you can install a S style big oil pan block, and will be a direct fit with the right oil pan, you can also install a 12, 14 or 16 hp they all have the same basic design, and will interchange, one thing to look for is crank size WH on the bigger Kohlers use a 1 1/8" crank, but the most common is a 1" and you can use that by using a pulley and PTO sleeve from a 8 hp engine, you tractor is savable I'm sure there is a engine out there for you.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

You can repower with 10 to 16 hp Kohler or Tecumseh...maybe Briggs or Onan.  You don't need to stick to a K241 (10 hp) engine.

I have a useable K241 block AND a K301 block in my shop....not cracked, but not sure how much bore is needed.    

Also have: STD and (+.010) ring sets for K241, STD, (+.010) set and (+.020) set for K321. The last two sets are Kohler 235764 (1 set) and 236765 (2 sets).

Edited by daveoman1966

Wheel-N-It

Whatever you do, don't dump the tractor. Someone here will want it. Hopefully you will find an engine soon for it. Kelly told you basically all you need to know to begin the search.

billsfan60

Thanks for the help guys. Haven't torn the 241 down yet (too bloody cold) but since we went 20 over on the rebuild and it now has zero compression (can spin it with no effort by hand) I'm guessing it's shot.  Found a rust free deck last year so don't want to dump it, but spring is just around the corner here in Dixie and I have to move quick to be ready.  Best tractor I ever had.  Could even use it to haul hay to the pastures.  Wouldn't mind a bit more HP though. 

C-101plowerpower

mine is repowered with a k301 12horse, lots of power.

success with the search.

Koen

bmsgaffer

Thanks for the help guys. Haven't torn the 241 down yet (too bloody cold) but since we went 20 over on the rebuild and it now has zero compression (can spin it with no effort by hand) I'm guessing it's shot.  Found a rust free deck last year so don't want to dump it, but spring is just around the corner here in Dixie and I have to move quick to be ready.  Best tractor I ever had.  Could even use it to haul hay to the pastures.  Wouldn't mind a bit more HP though. 

This scared me once too, but these engines have automatic compression release (ACR). At very low rpm it has a system that lifts a valve on the compression stroke for easier starting in cold weather. So to compression test you have to use the starter. (also it could be just a valve problem)

I THINK these can be bored to 30 over and still be good.

That being said, I have a good running K301 (no smoke, strong) that I will probably post for sale here soon if you want to PM for details.

Edited by bmsgaffer

WheelHorse79

My '79 C-101 was repowered by a Wheel Horse dealer 20 years ago.  My Dad took the tractor into the dealer reporting no power when the engine was hot.  The receipt I have from this repair says that the dealer put in a brand new 14HP shortblock Kohler.  The cost of the shortblock alone in 1994 was $450 :shock: .  The total repair bill (with carb rebuild) was over $850!  You would think that it would have been cheaper to just rebuild the engine.  So now, I really have a C-141 8 speed.

It's good to know that there are much cheaper options out there than what my Dad did 20 years ago.

Don1977

Pull the head and check for a stuck exhaust valve before removing the engine.

leeave96

In addition to doing a repower with a used motor, some have repowered their Wheelhorse tractors with new Briggs Vanguards and Honda's.  Maybe something to consider.

WH nut

Was it making any noise before it quit, could have broke a rod.

billsfan60

No noises before it quit and since it turns over completely figure not a broken connecting rod.  Will pull the head Thursday and check for a stuck valve.  Don't usually get that lucky but who knows.

Tom.

Hi,

If you did decide to repower your wheel horse there is always the option of a nice diesel! Obviously wouldn't be original but would make it a real worker, plus saving money on fuel.

Tom

cleat

My 341 broke a rod a couple of years ago. No noise, just kind of coasted to a stop then would spin easily.

Looks like the rod fused itself to the crank then broke into several pieces.

Motor was full of good quality 30W oil and was running great up until that.

My neighbor had a good used crank, rod and 0.003 over (just requires light honing to fit) piston that he gave me :). New rings and a gasket set and this motor has been running well since.

Cleat