zanepetty

k161 over reving now!!!!!

zanepetty

So my tractor has started really over revving now that I adjusted my carb per manual's instructions. I don't know how the carb settings did that though. If I hold it wide open it would rev until it blew up. But I still have throttle control. What could this be?

buckrancher

sounds like the governor is not set right

ARK

Question, did you have a tach set up to see RPM when adjusting carb?  

zanepetty

No. No tach set up.. I just set up the carb just like the manual says. I hope its just not set right, buckrancher but I just did it like the manual said. Unless I slipped while holding the shaft or something. But I thought that would cause it to under rev instead of over rev?

Kelly

You said "If I hold it wide open" are you doing this at the carb. or using the throttle cable ?? if you are grabbing the arm on top of the carb. yes you can make it over rev. if your pulling the throttle cable out and it is doing it, sounds like the gov. needs adjusted, or the gov. is not working, I have had a couple they did not work and had to replace them. 

zanepetty

I'm doing it with the cable, Kelly. Is the general consensus to disassemble the engine and just get it over with?

boovuc

Zane,

Since you were working on the carb..........make sure you have the linkage from the governor to the carb setup properly and the springs/linkages in the proper holes. When it was put back together, it is real easy to put a linkage in the wrong hole or a spring in the wrong hole or location and have the governor out of whack.  

zanepetty

Mr. Bob was kind enough to send me a pic of his k161 and the only difference it that the wire linkage from the carb to governor arm is in the top hole on the arm on mine and its in the bottom hole on his. There's only two holes and they're only the tiniest bit apart. And if it was out of adjustment would the engine not under rev? Say, if I would've slipped up and not had the shaft all the way counter clockwise?

zanepetty

Here are some pics

post-11334-0-91852800-1392124215_thumb.j

post-11334-0-01888400-1392124256_thumb.j

wallfish

Say, if I would've slipped up and not had the shaft all the way counter clockwise?

This would cause the engine to "over rev"

A quick test to make sure your gov is even working is to start the engine and use your hand to push on the gov arm to open the throttle. After it is set properly. You Should feel the arm pushing back to try and close the throttle. It pushes back pretty hard so you will definitely notice it.

Edited by wallfish

zanepetty

OK. I'll try that. Should I go ahead and take arm off and redo it then do the test?

wallfish

You don't need to remove the arm to set the adjustment on the governor, just loosen it. Turn the shaft CCW and hold the arm CW and tighten it back up.

Completely Remove the throttle cable, start the engine and test as suggested above. If governor pushes back then it should be good.

Reconnect the throttle cable but leave the conduit clamp loose. Move throttle lever to full position, Start your engine.

You need to lock down the conduit clamp with the engine running at 3600 RPM.

Do the fine carb adjustments again to get it running properly, Not to Lean, Not to Rich.

Readjust the conduit clamp again if needed so the engine runs at full 3600 RPM when the throttle lever is all the way in the full position. 

Do you have a Kohler manual?

• Like 2

zanepetty

I do have the manual. But I took it the the governor arm is supposed to be all the way counter clockwise as well. It says as away from the carb in the manual? Is that incorrect? If the shaft was CCW and the arm was CW that would mean the shaft would be all the way CCW while the throttle was all the way closed right?

Edited by zanepetty

zanepetty

Here's a top view. The inner cable hits that little screw. I don't think that's my over reving problem though

zanepetty

Just ignore that last post about the cable and screw. I got that part. Just the setting problem is all I gotta worry about :) and it is pushing against my finger right now.. is there anything that could make it not work sometimes? When I do the test Bob told me to do, half throttle n high gear up a grade, the engine bogs and on level ground it over revs. Yet the arm will push back against me.

Edited by zanepetty

boovuc

Haven't heard from you on this issue Zane.

How did you make out.

I wanted to state before to make sure that your governor swing arm isn't binding up anywhere making it do intermittent stuff as you described in one of your later posts.

Let us know. On the one picture of the swing arm, it looks like it could be rubbing.

Edited by boovuc

zanepetty

Here's what I found when I took my oil pan off. I have no idea what I is. Haven't gotten a chance to take the rest of the stuff out of my engine yet. I really appreciate you checking up on me. I'll be rebuilding my engine while its a part. Where can I get a new governor assembly?

post-11334-0-73077600-1392486268_thumb.j

rmaynard

Best place to get governor parts is eBay, or one of our vendors. The outside parts rarely go bad. The only thing I can think of is this spring could break or somehow get bent.

post-2221-0-19902600-1392488368_thumb.jp

Some of the internal parts can be purchased new or used. The gear is still available. The cross-shaft can also be found on eBay etc. The only problem I have seen with them is the rivet comes loose or breaks. But if you can only rotate it about 1/8th of a turn now, it's probably okay. I have seen gear teeth break, and I have seen the center hole of the gear get worn, but I have not seen a fly-weight break or come off. Considering the age of the engine, it probably has a cast iron gear which holds up better than the plastic ones.

What worries me the most is what you found in the pan. I have been looking at the picture since you sent it to me, and I cannot recall anything inside the block that is made from soft, easily bendable sheet metal.

boovuc

Not a clue what you found in the pan. It looks mangled though! Thank God for gravity! 

rmaynard

Zane - take another picture of it and put a coin or something with it so we can get a size perspective. What kind if metal is it? Looks like brass.

chazm

Looks like a brass shim to me, possible cam shim ??  :scratchead:

zanepetty

Could be a can shim. I have been so busy with valentines day lately I haven't had time to take a picture. I will tomorrow though. I don't have any good machine shops around that I know of. I want to make sure everything is in spec. And I want to check out bearings. I'd almost like to just find a shop and just ship it to them at this point.

buckrancher

cam shims are made from steel looks to be something a past owner added or changed for some reason as there are no brass pieces inside of a kohler k161 from the factory that I know of

zanepetty

Oh. Thats always GREAT to hear, Brian. Good old home made jerry rigging. Oh well. I plan on try to tear all of it down tomorrow. I'll post some pics and what not. Hopefully I can find someone to build it or at least help me build it.

Kelly

The only brass piece I can think of is the big nut the gov shaft sticks through