andrewLL

Hi

This is my first restoration of a wheel horse, I've got a Raider 12 model 1-0350 made in Belgium. It's now been stripped and some of the parts repainted and I'm starting to put it all back together.  can anyone tell me what the screw threads are so that I can replace some of the nuts and bolts.  The imperial stock of nuts and bolts for my MGB are all a much finer pitch.  I assume as it came from the US they will not be metric threads.

The other question I have is the sticker on the side says Raider 6 speed, but it has an 8 speed gear box.  When I replace the sticker I would like it to be correct.

I hope someone can help here, and I'm sure there will be many more questions as the rebuild progresses.

Help! I've just tried to attach a picture here but it's bigger than 1MB, although there appear to already be 4 pictures saved somewhere , are there any instructions on using this forum?

Thanks

Andrew

rmaynard

Most of the bolts will be 1/4"-20, 5/16"-18, and 3/8"-16. There may be some other oddball sizes. I think there are a couple of 7/16"-14. The sticker on the Raider is correct. When that one came out, they called the 3 forward and 1 reverse with Hi/Lo a 6-speed. In later models it was referred to as an 8-speed when they decided to include reverse as one of the speeds.

And :WRS:

Until you decide to become a supporter, where you will be able to load larger files, you can get a free account at Photobucket.com and upload your pictures there. Then copy the link to the location on Photobucket, click the "image" button in the tool bar here, and paste the URL

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

chazm

:text-yeahthat:   & WELCOME TO :rs:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Andy, wellcome to red square, cant wait and see the little gem.

Glenn

andrewLL

Bob, thanks for the help with the bolt sizes, I've now bought a selection of sizes and they are being fitted as it goes back together.  As a point of interest for anyone not aware the number after the size in inches (20, 18 & 16) are the number of threads per inch.  These correspond to the Unified Coarse series, there is also a Unified Fine series with more threads per inch.  When ordering nuts and bolts it appears that all that is required is the size and thread type e.g. 1/4" UNC. plus the length if it's a bolt being specified.

Andrew

sorekiwi

As a side note Andrew, a lot of the UNC threads have the same thread pitch as the old Whitworth threads.  There is a difference in the angle of the profile (60 degree for UNC, 55 for Whitworth), but in a pinch (and in a non critical application) they can usually be interchanged.

With regards to the 6/8 speed decal, originally the transmission was called a 6 speed, later on they called the same configuration an 8 speed.  The same thing applies to the 3/4 speeds.  General opinion was that they changed the designation for marketing reasons.

Welcome to RS!

wheeledhorseman

Andrew, any chance you could give the serial number of your tractor? That's the one on the same Amnor plate as the model number not the one on a separate sticker (if it was still present) which was added by Mountfield when they imported it.

Reason I ask is that I'm trying to piece together some info on the Belgian serial numbers.

Thanks

Andy

meadowfield

Bit slow here, would be great if you can enter on my wheel horse register too :D