Sign in to follow this  
rocking 416

8 speed transaxle

rocking 416

ok, i tore down my c81's 8 speed trans . it works goes in and out of gear . foward and backwards. but only one wheel spins i think i have somthing wrong with the diff? any ideas?? :banghead:

kpinnc

Gonna go out on a limb here, so forgive me if I am barking up the wrong tree... :banghead:

You didn't say when only one wheel spins, so I assume it's doing so with the rear wheels blocked up off the ground, or in a poor traction situation. That said, IF the rear wheels are indeed off the ground, it is not unusual. The C81 didn't have the limited slip differential, so in an instance where wheel slip is allowed, only one wheel will spin. This is especially true if the wheels are off the ground.

If they are blocked up off of the ground, you should be able to stop the wheel that is turning (being very careful not to do anything that will injure yourself, or knock the tractor down off the blocks), and the other wheel should begin to spin instead.

Again, be very careful. Use a wood block against the side of the tire, or something similar. DO NOT grab the spinning wheel with your hand. The inertia of the spinning tire is certainly enough to pull your arm under the fender, etc... It is a good idea to do this with the tranny in the lowest gear, so the wheels will spin more slowly.

Good luck,

Kevin

rocking 416

nah what it does is, let say for expample drive up ramp to load on the trailor. one wheel spins the other wheel does nothing . to be exact the left wheel spins right one does nothing. im purdy sure i have the bolts in the differntial to tight. i think there all limited slip. that would make sense transfer power from wheel that slips to ones that grip. my other c81 does fine one hills an the trailor ramp.

oldandred

nothing is wrong with it.

just think of a car rear end get it stuck and one wheel spins right yep thats right

now with a locking rear both wheel will pull like on my chevy truck with the locking rear mash the gas and what ever way the wheel is pointed is were the truck is going and fast. :banghead:

oldandred

I just looked it up in the book and if yours is a 1978 with a id number of 81-08k801 it is not a locking rear

its a 103916 rear end or trans axle

rocking 416

it dosent seem like my other c81. wish i had a diagram on how the differential goes toghter i think my bolts are to tight . guess i need to tear it down and learn like i always do. TRIAL AND ERROR :imstupid:

Buzz

wish i had a diagram on how the differential goes toghter i think my bolts are to tight . guess i need to tear it down and learn like i always do. TRIAL AND ERROR

Here's the link to a transmission manual for you so you don't have to do it by trial and error:

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/filechek.c...=Toro&PubType=9

rocking 416

Thank you buzzz :banghead: ...ill let you guys know in a few days how it turns out

Kelly

Why do you think you have the bolts too tight? maybe you put the diff. in backwards, the head of the bolts will hit and the diff will not turn.

rocking 416

all i know is. the left wheel turns. the right one does nothing....its dosent seem to want to climb hills or anything i need to tear it down

Curmudgeon

Simple check here. Jack it up with both wheels off the ground. With the engine OFF and in gear, turn either wheel by hand, if the differential is working properly, the other wheel will spin in the opposite direction. If it does anything else, something is wrong.