IthacaJeff

What do you regret getting rid of? Why?

IthacaJeff

Okay all, I'm sitting here waiting for spring, and reading through some threads about 

wishing to have back old cars, tools, etc.  So, my question is, what object do you most

regret selling or giving away?  Why?

Me, I regret not stopping my parents from selling the car I learned to drive on, a 1963 Dodge Dart

convertible. 225 slant 6, 3-on-tree shifter. Why?  Memories.

Even more? My 1971 VW micobus. Drove x-country 3 times in that baby. Bought it in 1982 for $1500,

sold it in 1989 for $1500. Why? I love to drive that thing. Love the cab forward design. Loved having

to go through the Rocky Mountains in 1st gear (well, okay, maybe not. . . ).

On the other hand, I used the money to buy a 1976 Bronco. My first venture into 4-wheeling. Took my

future wife 4-wheeling on our first date (is that not a girl to love?). Maybe I regret getting rid of the 

Bronco more that the VW. . .

Jeff

KC9KAS

I wish I still had my 1967 Honda 305 Dream. It was in very good shape, but I was ready to move up in size, so I sold it.

It was the 1st street legal motorcycle I owned, and I paid for it with my own money. I just have a soft spot for this machine.

Docwheelhorse

My 1967 Slick Craft 175 SS.... boat was made by Leon Slicker (company name was changed to Tiara Craft in 70's and still exists). My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I split the cost of this boat before we where married and hid it at her parents. I would bolt the hitch onto my car and run the boat on Saturdays with her and then take the hitch off.... my parents knew nothing of it for 5 years!! (Its a lonnnnggggg justifiable story)

Boat had an Iron Duke 153 cid chevy 4 with duel 1 barrel carbs and made 140 hp. Boat looked cool, ran awesome and the only reason we sold it was to get a bigger boat. We should of kept it.... lots of memories out on the lake after dark :) .

I had the chance to buy it back many years later but it was 100% trashed....

Sigggghhhhhhh....... should of never ever dumped it.

Tony

post-435-0-94240400-1391992392.jpg

Edited by Docwheelhorse

flyovrcntry

I had a 58 chevy 2dr sedan,customized.Had shaved everything but door handles,custom interior,bored 283 with cam.I never saw the car again after I traded it.It was such a one of a kind that I would know it if I saw it.

rexman72

I got to say my Harley bike

smoreau

For me it was my 1970 Roadrunner. It had a 440, reverse valve body, 410 sure grip, working air grabber, and best of all it was painted plum crazy. It got around 4 miles to the gallon and was a blast to drive! I sold it for $6000 and at the time it was crazy $$. Know that car would sell for 4 times that in the condition it was in. only have old photos of it know and have no clue where it went. I was the 6th owner of it and it sold at least 4 time after I got rid of it. I thought I saw it at a car show all redone 2 years ago, But it was not it :( Boy I miss that one!

can whlvr

lots of things over the years but #1 would be my 1978 canam 250 qualifier,awsome power and tough dirt bike

Kennedy

Jeff do you still have that bronco? I always liked those smaller broncos. I myself have a 1946 willys cj2A, its been a long project that is still being worked on. The one thing I do regret selling is my 1977 Gravely commercial 10. It had dual wheels, a steering sulky, 30" brush mower, 42" finish mower, 48" snow blade, and what I called the widow maker. It was a 26" circular saw that mounted  horizontally on the front, that was a scary attachment. It didn't suit my needs at the time but I sure could use it today.

Wishin4a416

1960's Wheelhorse

67 Chevelle 327/365

67 Chevelle 327/350

66 Chevelle 396/375

Pre 64 243 Model 70

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb. :banghead:

Brrly1

Picture should tell the story, sad but true built from ground up. Even made into Hot Bike - Feb. 99' and then again in Feb. 2004, a five year flash back

post-45-0-63272100-1392069486_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

smoreau

yup I would miss that!! :text-yeahthat:

IthacaJeff

Though I regret selling the '76 Bronco, it was rusted through the floorboards. Upon hard acceleration

the body would sink on the frame rails, causing the floor to hit the spinning driveshaft where is output

from the tranny.

One day, about 150 miles  from home the rear driveshaft U-joint exploded and separated from the rear

pumpkin. The driveshaft was still spinning (highway speeds), whacking the bottom of the Bronco. Cost

a fortune to tow home. . . should of just locked the front hubs and drove it in front wheel drive.

A love-hate relationship for sure. Sold it for a more sensible Toyota PU. Perhaps I should have bought

the FJ45 landcrusier I had my eyes on. . . 

Jeff

stevebo

I am kinda glad I cannot add anything here. I still have my first car (1971 Dodge Dart Swinger) and my grand parent's 1968 Chevelle. I can tell you that my wife sometimes wishes that they were both gone since the chevelle needs a complete restore and the Dart is good but just sits in the garage and I do not drive it.

Ken B

Steve, you gotta get that Dart out and drive it more often. As you know, the worst thing for it is to just let it sit. Its way too NICE for that!

fireman

I keep telling him the same thing!

Ken B

For me there are two cars, the first being an absolutely mint 78 Z-28. I bought it from the original owner who never drove it in the winter. Just a real strong 350 with a 4 speed under the hood. My wife would drive this car just as often as I did. This picture was taken 22 yrs ago. I wound up trading this car for my dream car, a 69 SS Chevelle. In the beginning she had a 650 hp 383 on nitrous. After I had my fun with that my father in law and myself built a real nice big block for it. At that time I pulled the automatic and put back in the original M-22 4-speed. I drove this Chevelle all the time as long as it wasn't raining. My wife drove it quite a bit as well. I'd often hear her fire it up early in the morning so she could claim it for the day! I really miss both of them...You can't replace all the good memories I had in these two rides..

ScannedImage-12.jpg

ScannedImage-19-1.jpg

ScannedImage-5-2.jpg

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 2

Ken B

I keep telling him the same thing!

He should know, if he needs someone to put some quality miles on it all he's gotta do is give one of us a ring!!!

dclarke

Mine would have to be the '70 SS454 Monte Carlo that I had..... And this bike, built by a neighbor. It had a '69 750 Honda engine, I bought this in the late '70s.

003_zps4c6ac549.jpg

• Like 1

shorts

I wish I had the 702 that dad bought used with an oil burning worn out Kohler in 66 or 67. He took the engine off and apart when I wasn't home, had the block machined and then left it on the bench for me to reassemble from a short block to a complete tractor while he was at work. It wouldn't start and I was an unhappy camper until he came home from work and found the pushrod for the points on the bench, and we got it running.  That was my first experience with horses and bringing an engine to life from a pile of parts.  He sold it when they moved into a city house after I moved out.  I sure do wish I could find that first horse since engines have been my lifelong trade.

specialwheelhorse

A 1950 jeepster Everyone called my banana wagon and our 32 foot

Grand-banks Trawler = 68 model more Teak than you could shake

a stick at !! Been thru so many locks I can't count. But my

dearest got so she could not handle the lines. Big Ford 6 Diesel

That baby would carry 250 gallon fuel, enough to go to wherever

and back. No speed demon but would run 10 knots forever.

RMCIII

Where to start on this topic...Well, let see:

• 1984 ATC 200x - bored/stroked, extended swing arm, durablue extended axels, 32mm flat side carb, DG header pipe set up to race in the arenas when 3-wheelers were hot. was 13-14 when I bought and started the project. Finished the project, then dad said you are not racing... Sold it
  • 1971 SS Nova/ True SS - 350/300hp. I purchased it from the original owner who had kept all records of work done. He special ordered the car. Not many Nova's, that I was aware of, came with a 12 Bolt posi, from the factory. But then again, back then you could order just about anything as long as you had the $$$$. Sold it just after getting out of the military.. Needed funds to start my new life.
  • 1986 Chrysler Conquest TSI < One bad little road car once I completed the transformation...My now wife totaled it.... Twice. The first time I bought it back and had my body man rebuild it. I had just dumped $2,500.00 into the transmission and another $5k in the motor. Not to mention all the suspension and brake work done... He made it better than new when it was done. The second time, he said, "Sorry, I can't fix it this time"...
  • 1982 CJ-7 w/304- 320hp.... All steel tub.... I picked it up for a song and dance.... The dealership had just taken it in on trade... This was in 1994. The manager of the dealership was not to fond of AMC products... I made an offer of $3,500.00 cash and he said sold. It was a completely restored Jeep.... I found out who the owner was that had traded it in... He told me the story behind the Jeep. He got it from a widow. It was her husbands pride and joy...It took him 5 yrs. to complete the project. To look at it, it was eye catching, but not "stunning". He wanted to make it a road worthy, great gas mileage Jeep. He had the 5spd. re-geared, why he did not just drop a Richmond in it, have no idea. I think he wanted to keep the "original" trans, engine, pumpkins, but just beef them up... Well, he died just after completing the project. Jeep sat in her garage for another 2yrs. before she gave it to her neighbor, just before moving away... I was the fortunate one to pick it up just after the neighbor traded it in on a Corvette.
  • 1992 Chevy Camaro - 25th. Anniversary Heritage Edition..... 305/EFI - 5 speed. Delco Bose Premium Sound system. I have tried to find one exactly like I had ordered then.... No luck....I'll keep looking though.
  • 1973 Pro Street Camaro.... 400 - 4 blot main small block.... Inner fender removed, all windows removed, lexan glass installed. 8pt. roll cage. Eddie Gartlets buitl the heads... He is still in Tampa, building heads today.. Built to handle 200 shot of nitro if needed. Never was needed. 12 bolt posi, welded. 400 Fairbanks trans. 3500 stall. Engine was dynode at 550hp/525lb./ft. torque. Trans and engine were trued, or off centered 7 degrees to the left..... This allowed the engine and trans to align perfectly once you launched. Car would carry the front wheels, about 10" for the first 60'. Straight as an arrow down the track..... If anyone tells you they have driven a 10 second car. Ask them about the first time they stabbed the gas.. If they don't tell you that it nearly gave them a heart attack, then they have NEVER driven a 10 second car....
  • 2007 F150 NiteMare..... I truly enjoyed this truck, but at the same time, the name spoke for itself.... Had number 22 of only 100 made that year. Bought it brand new off the showroom floor in late 2008... Dealership had 2 and only sold 1. Got a great deal on the truck, Stickered for $50k with all the options/ got it for $32,500 - Roush kicked back $10k, Ford kicked in another $5k, and the dealership found a couple rebates lying around they kicked in also. I had all the decals removed, all the Roushcharger emblems wet sanded off and rebuffed. The only thing that gave the truck away was the hood and the Roush F150 emblem on the sides....If anyone owns a Roush, they know what I mean, when I say they take their time getting the parts to you for warranty work...After the 4th warranty issue, not worried about the warranties, that is why you them. I had enough. In the 2.5yrs and only 15,000 miles I had put on it, it had been setting for almost 5 months waiting on Roush to get the parts to the dealership.... I did not have the patient to keep it, but now I wish I would have kept it...

I think that about covers my vehicle list........As for what else I regret getting rid of.... Well, I think the biggest regret has been not letting go of "stuff"....and letting Jesus replace that "stuff" with eternal "stuff"..... :)

6wheeler

Cool stuff. Mine was a 67 Ford Ranch Wagon. 390 4bbl. 4spd. It even had factory air bag suspension helpers in the rear. It was Sable black. I tinted out the windows and put super wide 60's on the rear with Baby Moons and side pipes of course. Very cool. Then was my 74 Jeep J-10. 360 4spd, and NO power anything. Window cranks, manual locks and steering by armstong. But, I think it could have pulled a continent. And then? My 74 IH COF 4070B Transtar ll. 8V-71T Detroit and 13spd Underdrive tranny. I put big injectors and a 92 series blower and turbo on it at overhaul. I had it dynoed and it was turning 380hp at the wheels (not bad for an engine that supposed to be a 335 crank hp fuel squeezer). And I do kinda miss the C-120 I traded for my 520 too.

Digger 66

This : 

69003.jpg

69001.jpg

My dad & I restored this & when he passed , It just held too many memories .

In retrospect , I wish I had never let it go .

• Like 1

truckin88

easy 1988 S-10 was my first truck shoulda kept it and done the SBC I wanted to.

2004 Dakota, it was my first new truck ever, it was regular cab with big 33's factory, buckets, the v6, just a cool truc, had a cap for it too. Lots of good memories for my wife and I in that truck. Plus it was paid off.

2006 Jeep Wrangler, 6 spd last year of the 4.0 I6, just a ton of fun, my last jeep and my last stick. Havent gotten one since, also at the time, my payment was $150, it was a crazy deal, really miss that.

Pics of her first day home, totally stock

Jeep.jpg

beach in OBX

JeepOBX1.jpg

DSC01912.jpg

summer1.jpg

snow2.jpg

Basses:

2003 or 4 Fender Highway One Usa Jazz bass, modded and had wear in the right places was awesome

DSC01956.jpg

1996 Fender MIA Pbass nothing has played better.

DSC01966.jpg

Edited by truckin88

Coadster32

I sold off two snowmobiles and a motorcycle for a 79 Camaro. No regrets so far. Car was pictured in Hot Rod and Car Craft over the past few months. Kids love it. I'll hope for the best with no regrets, but only time will tell. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: